I would like to automatically logout a user dialing in on a modem

I would like to automatically logout a user dialing in on a modem

Post by Josh Gasbe » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I have instances when a user will dial in from home into a modem connected
to my RS6000 G40 and I would like to "knock" them off the system after X
inactive time.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Josh Gasber
RECO Equipment, Inc.

I would like to automatically logout a user dialing in on a modem

Post by Mike Wigingto » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Use the set command to see what the environment variable TMOUT is set to.
TMOUT works for the ksh and TIMEOUT works for bsh.

You can set TMOUT in the .profile

TMOUT=number of seconds

export TMOUT

Good Luck,
Mike Wig

Post by Randy Styk » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> I have instances when a user will dial in from home into a modem connected
> to my RS6000 G40 and I would like to "knock" them off the system after X
> inactive time.

> Any suggestions.

The TMOUT shell variable can be used; it will only work for
people at a shell prompt, however.  Our company wanted something
that would work regardless of the application.  Also, we wanted
to check cpu usage for a user to decide if they were idle, rather
than just look for keyboard activity.  Thus we don't want to log
them off if they are running a long program with no keyboard
activity.  So we wrote (and sell ;-) a product called LOGMON.
Other solutions could not meet this cpu monitoring requirement.

Logmon lets you vary the inactivity time by user, time of day,
etc.  You can control how the user is logged off.  For details,

| 4N165 Wood Dale Road           Phone:  630/941-7767             |
| Addison, Illinois  60101 USA   Fax:    630/941-7714             |

Post by Bob Rubenduns » Wed, 21 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> > I have instances when a user will dial in from home into a modem connected
> > to my RS6000 G40 and I would like to "knock" them off the system after X
> > inactive time.

> > Any suggestions.

> The TMOUT shell variable can be used; it will only work for
> people at a shell prompt, however.

You can also set most modems to hang up after a period of no data
activity across the modem link, say twenty minutes. The modem will drop
DCD, and this will log the user off. It's crude, but effective!
--
-Bob Rubendunst
Soft Machines

1. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

Hello,

        I've configured my linux box to receive calls from two 28.8
SupraExpress modems (both support v.34).  Everything works fine, the
connection, everything.  However, when the user logs off, the modems
literally go bezerks and make the LED display shows pure garbage and
the SD/RD leds blinks relentlessly.  After that, the modem no longer
answer to commands issued by my system or to incoming calls, and I get
this kind of messages inside /var/adm/messages:

Feb 24 14:05:02 zeus kernel: ttyS0: 13 input overrun(s)

        for both ports.  The only solution is to power off the modem
and restart it.  Then, uugetty regains controls and accepts answers.

        Here's a copy of my /etc/default/uugetty.ttyS0 file:

CLEAR = NO
HANGUP=YES
#DEBUG=777
DEBUG=010
INIT="" AT&F2S0=1\r OK
ALTLOCK=cua0
ALTLINE=cua0
#WAITFOR=RING
#CONNECT="" ATs0=1\r CONNECT \s\A
TIMEOUT=60

        Help!

        ...David

--

// Socom technologies, Inc.        Tel: 514/939-0480 Fax: 514/939-0834
   " There are lies, damned lies, and statistics. " -- Mark Twain

2. plug and play and x86 Solaris

3. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

4. password/CDE issue

5. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

6. ISDN: HiSax: status overflow

7. Modem dialing automatically!?

8. Odd things in httpd/error_log (hack?)

9. logging dial up users off automatically

10. HELP my modem dials automatically on boot

11. dial ins

12. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

13. Setting up firewall for dial-ins: How?