Adding PP's or LP's

Post by C » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 01:17:43

On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
specs:

MAX LP's 512
PP SIZE  32 megabytes
LP's     512
PP's     512

This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
re-create the LV or filesystem?

Thanks,
Chris

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by stompk » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:10:23

not really, altho chvg -t 2 ( or 4 or 8, etc ) may suit the needs for now.

Quote:> On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
> specs:

> MAX LP's 512
> PP SIZE  32 megabytes
> LP's     512
> PP's     512

> This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
> the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
> way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
> re-create the LV or filesystem?

> Thanks,
> Chris

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by Christer Pal » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:31:07

> On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
> specs:

> MAX LP's 512
> PP SIZE  32 megabytes
> LP's     512
> PP's     512

> This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
> the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
> way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
> re-create the LV or filesystem?

The "MAX LP's" setting is just a soft safeguard limit and 512 is the
default value (probably more or less a leftover from AIX 3 where
filesystems couldn't be > 2GB although a logical volume could - 512 *
default PP size of 4MB = 2GB). You can change it transparently through
chlv or smit chlv.

--
Christer Palm

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by stompk » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 02:45:23

good catch. I misread the Q.

> > On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
> > specs:

> > MAX LP's 512
> > PP SIZE  32 megabytes
> > LP's     512
> > PP's     512

> > This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
> > the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
> > way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
> > re-create the LV or filesystem?

> The "MAX LP's" setting is just a soft safeguard limit and 512 is the
> default value (probably more or less a leftover from AIX 3 where
> filesystems couldn't be > 2GB although a logical volume could - 512 *
> default PP size of 4MB = 2GB). You can change it transparently through
> chlv or smit chlv.

> --
> Christer Palm

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by Old Decrepit Circus Monke » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 05:02:18

chlv -x'512' lvname

(512 being the default, you can make that higher)

monkey

> On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
> specs:

> MAX LP's 512
> PP SIZE  32 megabytes
> LP's     512
> PP's     512

> This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
> the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
> way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
> re-create the LV or filesystem?

> Thanks,
> Chris

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by Jeremy Morri » Sat, 23 Jun 2001 08:20:45

I'm not sure I understand the Q correctly, but,
If your VG includes the whole 27GB array, and contains 512 PPs at
32MB size, then you'll only see 16.5GB. To see the remaining 9GB
will need the PP size to change to 64MB. This cannot be done without
removing and recreating the VG.
If the VG contains more than 512 PPs (ie some of the array is not
allocated), then just increase the MAX LP'S value and increase the
LV/FS to suit.
I think you have the problem of allocating the whole VG to a filesystem
which is a lot smaller than you expected? Sorry if I misunderstand.

Rgds, JM

> On AIX 4.3.3, I have a filesystem (jfs), in a non-root vg, with these
> specs:

> MAX LP's 512
> PP SIZE  32 megabytes
> LP's     512
> PP's     512

> This was configured incorrectly, and I need to re-configure it to get
> the maximum available size out of my disk array (27 GB). Is there a
> way to increase the PP's and/or LP's with out having to delete and
> re-create the LV or filesystem?

> Thanks,
> Chris

Adding PP's or LP's

Post by Christer Pal » Mon, 25 Jun 2001 00:27:31

> I'm not sure I understand the Q correctly, but,
> If your VG includes the whole 27GB array, and contains 512 PPs at
> 32MB size, then you'll only see 16.5GB. To see the remaining 9GB
> will need the PP size to change to 64MB. This cannot be done without
> removing and recreating the VG.
> If the VG contains more than 512 PPs (ie some of the array is not
> allocated), then just increase the MAX LP'S value and increase the
> LV/FS to suit.
> I think you have the problem of allocating the whole VG to a filesystem
> which is a lot smaller than you expected? Sorry if I misunderstand.

This is complete nonsense!

A 32 MB PP size is no problem with a 27 GB array (27000 / 32 = 843, 843
< 1016).

--
Christer Palm