Problem with TCP/IP configuration

Post by Marc » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

        I have one workstation IBM 43p model 150 configurated under network. I
have difined the hostname,IP, ......, and it work very fine. But when i
make a shutdown and bring up the machine again, the configuration is lost
!!! If i make a "ping" to an other PC in network, that doesn't work.
        Then i make smitty tcpip, and choose "Minimum Configuration & Startup",
then
en0, and just change the field START Now to YES, the machine work very
nice. If i reboot, i have the same problem.

        If i try to make this changes in CDE, the system crash !!! So i have to
make this changes under console.

        When the system is comming up, i see he is loading the TCP/IP demons,  but
the network doesn't work. Any sugestions ???

Tanks for the help,
Marco

Post by Chris Chojnowsk » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

>         I have one workstation IBM 43p model 150 configurated under network. I
> have difined the hostname,IP, ......, and it work very fine. But when i
> make a shutdown and bring up the machine again, the configuration is lost
> !!! If i make a "ping" to an other PC in network, that doesn't work.
>         Then i make smitty tcpip, and choose "Minimum Configuration & Startup",
> then
> en0, and just change the field START Now to YES, the machine work very
> nice. If i reboot, i have the same problem.

>         If i try to make this changes in CDE, the system crash !!! So i have to
> make this changes under console.

>         When the system is comming up, i see he is loading the TCP/IP demons,  but
> the network doesn't work. Any sugestions ???

> Tanks for the help,
> Marco

Check available space left in the root file system.  At the command line type df.
Check under the %Used column on the top line (should be for the / file system.)  If
it's at 100%, increase.  This is where I've seen this problem before.

Chris

Problem with TCP/IP configuration

Post by Vo Thua » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
Did you do an update on AIX recently? I have the same kind of problem
when updating from AIX3.2.5 to 4.3.2.

check  your tcp filesets:
lslpp -l |grep tcp
You should get *TWO* bos.net.tcp.server and two bos.net.tcp.client
If it is not the case, contact IBM for a fix.

Hope it will help
Vo Thuan

:Hello,
:
[...]

Post by miraba » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

I'd check the permissions on /etc/rc.net.  It
should be executable. :)

> Hello,

>         I have one workstation IBM 43p model 150 configurated under network. I
> have difined the hostname,IP, ......, and it work very fine. But when i
> make a shutdown and bring up the machine again, the configuration is lost
> !!! If i make a "ping" to an other PC in network, that doesn't work.
>         Then i make smitty tcpip, and choose "Minimum Configuration & Startup",
> then
> en0, and just change the field START Now to YES, the machine work very
> nice. If i reboot, i have the same problem.

>         If i try to make this changes in CDE, the system crash !!! So i have to
> make this changes under console.

>         When the system is comming up, i see he is loading the TCP/IP demons,  but
> the network doesn't work. Any sugestions ???

> Tanks for the help,
> Marco

| nicholas dronen             mirabai at frii dot com  |
| "Let us go then, you and I . . ." -- T.S. Eliot      |

Problem with TCP/IP configuration

Post by Jason William » Wed, 17 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Perhaps you have not set the interface to start "NOW" and at "Startup".....

There is an option for "BOTH" - you may be only selecting the now option.

JW

Quote:> Hello,

Post by root » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

>         I have one workstation IBM 43p model 150 configurated under network. I
> have difined the hostname,IP, ......, and it work very fine. But when i
> make a shutdown and bring up the machine again, the configuration is lost
> !!! If i make a "ping" to an other PC in network, that doesn't work.
>         Then i make smitty tcpip, and choose "Minimum Configuration & Startup",
> then
> en0, and just change the field START Now to YES, the machine work very
> nice. If i reboot, i have the same problem.

>         If i try to make this changes in CDE, the system crash !!! So i have to
> make this changes under console.

>         When the system is comming up, i see he is loading the TCP/IP demons,  but
> the network doesn't work. Any sugestions ???

> Tanks for the help,
> Marco

Your changes are not being stored in the ODM datebase. Make sure enviroment variable
ODMDIR is define in your enviroment with env.

#>env
_=/usr/bin/env
LANG=en_US
LOGIN=root
IMQCONFIGCL=/etc/IMNSearch/dbcshelp
NLSPATH=/usr/lib/nls/msg/%L/%N:/usr/lib/nls/msg/%L/%N.cat
PATH=:/usr/bin:/etc:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb://bin:/usr/bin/X11:/sbin:/usr/etc:/usr/lpp/X11/bin:/usr/awbus/bin:/usr/local/bin:.

LC__FASTMSG=true
IMQCONFIGSRV=/etc/IMNSearch
LOGNAME=root
LOCPATH=/usr/lib/nls/loc
PS1=root-etl9:$PWD>
PS2=>
USER=root
AUTHSTATE=compat
SHELL=/bin/ksh
ODMDIR=/etc/objrepos
TMOUT=0
HOME=/
TERM=xterm
PWD=/etc
TZ=PST8PDT
A__z="*TMOUT

user "smit tcpip" to store changes to ODM.

1. HELP!! Problem with TCP/IP Configuration.

Hi,
        Finally, the Ethernet card is recognised.
        Now, I have done the 'netconfig' and configured my LINUX system with an IP
address, gateway, etc.. It lets me ping itself, but is not reaching the
network for some reason. The PC next to it cannot be ping'ed, and neither
can the reverse be done.

        I can do:
                Ping India (our new LINUX machine)
                return: 203.120.164.95 good

                Ping 203.120.164.95
                return: 203.120.164.95 good

        But,
                Ping 203.120.164.33(Our Gateway)
                return wrong.

                Ping www.yahoo.com
                return wrong

        There is no WWW access either.

        We use WinNT as our official server, and has a firewall.

        Please advise on how to proceed with the configuration. We are STUCK!!

                                                        James.

2. Need help about eth transmit timeout

3. QUESTION: Problem Changing Network Configuration (TCP/IP)

4. GateWay for NetWare

5. TCP/IP configuration problems persist!!

6. OBSD 3.2/i386 current, Python an XML-RPC (long)

7. TCP/IP configuration problem - en0 busy on IBM 580

8. Linux v2.5.39 - more build errors

9. TCP/IP Configuration problem

10. new twist - "888" - TCP/IP configuration problem - en0 busy on IBM 580

11. TCP/IP: Linux w/Win95 configuration problem

12. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP