AIX 1.2 (on a PS/2 system) file wanted

Post by Jacques Schuurm » Fri, 11 Oct 1991 05:43:38

Hello fellow netters,

A friend of mine has a somewhat weird problem.  He has a PS/2 system,
running AIX v. 1.2.  Now when he installed the operating system, he chose
to minimalise it whereever possible.  Exempli gratia, he was not interested
in any compilers.  The system was used mainly for text processing.
Recently however, he installed a LISP implementation on the machine.
He installed everything neatly without problems, but when he set out to run
some LISP code, the interpreter started to complain about the libc.a
file missing.  Obviously, the LISP interpreter needs this library for
basic I/O functions.  As you may guess, no file in the set of three
/{lib,usr/{lib,local/lib}}/libc.a, are present.  The interpreter is
expecting the file explicitly at one of these three locations.

My question therefore is, whether some kind soul outside would be willing
to provide me with a copy of libc.a.  Unfortunately, this guy doesn't
have access to the net, neither has his machine.  So I'd be most happy
with someone who wants to ftp it to me, and I will dump it to a floppy
then.

Thank you in advance,
sjaak
--
Jacques Schuurman VU Amsterdam |    [             ---/\---             ]
Telefoon +31 20 548 26 63      |    [ Mirko, pazi metak! Hvala Slavko! ]

Post by Bjorn Engs » Fri, 11 Oct 1991 21:52:41

|some LISP code, the interpreter started to complain about the libc.a
|
|My question therefore is, whether some kind soul outside would be willing
|to provide me with a copy of libc.a.
/lib/libc.a is either on the BOS diskettes or on the ADT diskettes.  You
can do a restore -T of those to see which set it is located on, and then
restore that single file.
--
Bjorn Engsig    -    ORACLE Corporation.             | Editor of FAQ-list

1. AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)

I have heard from my spies in IBM (comments invited to confirm or deny):

1. PS/2 AIX is dead (no more new versions, except for bug fixes).

2. AIX has not been certified for the PS/2 90 and 95.

3. AIX will never be certified to work on the model 90 and 95.

4. Not said to me, but a conclusion of (3) is no support for XGA.

5. The only way to run Unix on the model 90 and 95 and have IBM's
   blessing is to run SCO's Open Desktop, with which IBM have a licensing
   agreement.

6. Future Unix versions for IBM PS/2s may be SCO's ODT or something similar
   from a joint development between IBM and SCO.

Mark Kosten (who denies having written the above)

2. yp_match problem

3. Does AIX PS/2 1.2 run on the PS/2 Models 90 and 95?

4. MySQL and OpenBSD 3.1

5. looking for dosformat and catman for AIX 1.2 (PS

6. Xfree an Numlock

7. SCSI driver for PS/2 AIX 1.2

8. HELP: lock files in /usr/spool/mail directory

9. g++ on PS/2 AIX 1.2

10. X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2

11. xgks on PS/2 AIX 1.2

12. segmentation fault with sort on AIX 1.2 (PS/2)

13. Using a 3com ethernet board in a PS/2 model 80 with AIX 1.2?