File too large when tar 8GB file through NFS server to tape

File too large when tar 8GB file through NFS server to tape

Post by ten » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:36:34

Hi all,

I have a problem on this, I have a NFS Client(AIX) mount to NFS
Server(Linux) which share a 8GB file, the tape drive are connected to
AIX. When I try to tar this file to tape drive, the error occur like

tar: 0511-825 The file '/psgCVS/Backup/psgcvs.tar' is too large.

any idea??

p/s:I have change the ulimit=-1, tested local mount point as a enabled
large filesystem or normal direcory, OS is AIX433.

Thank you

File too large when tar 8GB file through NFS server to tape

Post by Michael Sell » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 19:15:13

man pages AIX 4.3.3

 Note:

      1. The tar command is not enabled for files greater than 2 Gig in
size due
         to limitations imposed by XPG/4 and POSIX.2 standards.

Post by Steve Johns » Fri, 10 Jan 2003 06:35:48

> man pages AIX 4.3.3

>  Note:

>       1. The tar command is not enabled for files greater than 2 Gig in
> size due
>          to limitations imposed by XPG/4 and POSIX.2 standards.

> > Hi all,

> > I have a problem on this, I have a NFS Client(AIX) mount to NFS
> > Server(Linux) which share a 8GB file, the tape drive are connected to
> > AIX. When I try to tar this file to tape drive, the error occur like

> > tar: 0511-825 The file '/psgCVS/Backup/psgcvs.tar' is too large.

> > any idea??

> > p/s:I have change the ulimit=-1, tested local mount point as a enabled
> > large filesystem or normal direcory, OS is AIX433.

> > Thank you

If this is AIX 4.3.3 use pax or get gnu's tar both support larger than 2GB.

File too large when tar 8GB file through NFS server to tape

Post by ten » Wed, 15 Jan 2003 18:59:43

Thank you very much, i've downloaded gnu tar to solve this problem.

> > man pages AIX 4.3.3

> >  Note:

> >       1. The tar command is not enabled for files greater than 2 Gig in
> > size due
> >          to limitations imposed by XPG/4 and POSIX.2 standards.

> > > Hi all,

> > > I have a problem on this, I have a NFS Client(AIX) mount to NFS
> > > Server(Linux) which share a 8GB file, the tape drive are connected to
> > > AIX. When I try to tar this file to tape drive, the error occur like

> > > tar: 0511-825 The file '/psgCVS/Backup/psgcvs.tar' is too large.

> > > any idea??

> > > p/s:I have change the ulimit=-1, tested local mount point as a enabled
> > > large filesystem or normal direcory, OS is AIX433.

> > > Thank you

> If this is AIX 4.3.3 use pax or get gnu's tar both support larger than 2GB.

1. tar -rvEf still failing w/large (>8GB) files in Solaris

Hello all,

I have been happily using tar on my Solaris 8 box to save some very
large files. The man page for tar (/usr/bin/tar) suggests adding the
"-E" arg will allow files large that 8GB to be tarred. I still get the
"too large to archive" message.

I am tarring this large file into a destination tar file that was
created using the "-E" arg so it should work.

Is this a bug? Should I be using GNU tar?

Thanks,

(Ward)

2. Programming question QTable

3. display the file contents of a large tar.Z file

4. Just Curious

5. Latest Java & RH 7.0

6. help copying large .tar and .tar.gz files

7. Streams information / Book

8. solaris 2.5 system mounts an file system on NT server thru NFS

9. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar and mt - command

10. backup multiple tar-files on a tape using tar & mt ???

11. tar file size limit and tar to tape

12. getting a tar file off a tape when you've tar cf'ed first