PDT question

Post by Scott L. Field » Tue, 19 Jan 1999 04:00:00

What makes no sense to you?

If your concerned about performance, it is often recommended to evenly
distributed your paging across several disk. This mean creating seperate
equal sized paging spaces on each disk.

Also, run "lslv -m hd6". If each PP is not sequential, then the paging space
is fragmented, and thus the error message.

You might want to check out the AIX Performance and Tuning guide if you
want further suggestions.

>I have setup PDT on my AIX box and the results I get concerning swap are
>confusing. Here are the results:

>------------------------ Alerts ---------------------

>  I/O CONFIGURATION
>   -  Note: volume hdisk3 has 3888 MB available for allocation
>      while volume hdisk2 has 0 MB available

>  PAGING CONFIGURATION
>   -  Physical Volume hdisk1 (type: SCSI) has no paging space defined
>   -  All paging spaces have been defined on one Physical volume (hdisk1)
>   -  Paging space hd6 on volume group rootvg is fragmented

>Note the PAGING sub-section, it doesn't make any sense to me. Should I look
>into the possiblity of a bug within the scripts?

>The server is an H50 running AIX 4.3.2.0 with all the latest fixes.

PDT question

Post by Norman Lev » Wed, 20 Jan 1999 04:00:00

> I have setup PDT on my AIX box and the results I get concerning swap are
> confusing. Here are the results:

> - ------------------------ Alerts ---------------------

>   I/O CONFIGURATION
>    -  Note: volume hdisk3 has 3888 MB available for allocation
>       while volume hdisk2 has 0 MB available

>   PAGING CONFIGURATION
>    -  Physical Volume hdisk1 (type: SCSI) has no paging space defined
>    -  All paging spaces have been defined on one Physical volume (hdisk1)
>    -  Paging space hd6 on volume group rootvg is fragmented

> Note the PAGING sub-section, it doesn't make any sense to me. Should I look
> into the possiblity of a bug within the scripts?

PDT is nothing but a group of shell scripts that tries to warn the SA if
some information looks at of wack.  Now, whats out of wack for a 4 drive
system
is completely different than a 10 drive system.  Therefore, there are
'parameter'
files you can modify to the warnings make sense for your environment.  As it
is,
it appears that you have 4 drives.  In that case, maybe 1 drive for page is
enought.  Therefore the first two warnings mean nothing to you and if you
change the parameter files, you can suppress the message.
The last point might have some impact so I'd try a
# reorgvg rootvg hd6
(NOTE: Please check syntax - I'm doing this off the top of my head.)

--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

1. PDT question

I have couple of 43p boxes running AIX 4.3.3.
I cannot even find the PDT and /usr/sbin/perf/pmr, I want to try this tool.
Any one knows how to get this tool?
I checked installation CDs, as well as bonus pack, it's not included.
IBM  web site mentioned this tool (use installp command to install the
package), but it doesn't say how to get it.
I heard it's all included in AIX 3.

David

2. Could anyone help with my sound card

3. Seeking Comment: Subscription Delivery Application

4. PDT/paging space questions

5. start a process; check again; restart if not running

6. Question about PDT error message

7. why won't this makefile work with GNU make (under linux)?

8. PDT software errors ?

9. PDT

10. bad frames in PDT report?

11. a problem about pdt