Invoking Bash in Interactive Mode with CDE

Invoking Bash in Interactive Mode with CDE

Post by Sam Rudlan » Sun, 24 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I have set my shell to use bash instead of Korn recently and whenever I
log into CDE now I find that bash is running in non-interactive
mode.......Not a major hassle but irritating none the less.......I know
that the '-i' option when involing bash will force it into interactive
mode but I tried adding that via running 'chsh' but it said it was
invalid.

Any ideas??????

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

Invoking Bash in Interactive Mode with CDE

Post by Mohammed Redha Shafie » Sat, 06 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Please excuse my ignorance. I keep coming across e-mails referring to the
use of 'bash' instead the Korn shell. Can someone please inform me what is
'bash'?

Thanks and regards,
Mohammed.

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Please excuse my ignorance. I keep coming across e-mails referring to the
> use of 'bash' instead the Korn shell. Can someone please inform me what is
> 'bash'?

It's the Bourne Again SHell (a pun on bsh - Bourne SHell).

It has command line completion, environment variable completion and
hostname completion.

(Just press tab)

It also has on-the-fly variable substitution.

Extremely good.

--
Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
activity available at the time.

Post by Christopher J. Matter » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

>> Please excuse my ignorance. I keep coming across e-mails referring to the
>> use of 'bash' instead the Korn shell. Can someone please inform me what is
>> 'bash'?
> It's the Bourne Again SHell (a pun on bsh - Bourne SHell).
> It has command line completion, environment variable completion and
> hostname completion.
> (Just press tab)
> It also has on-the-fly variable substitution.
> Extremely good.

It is almost, but not quite, compatible with ksh; many ksh scripts
will run on bash with no or minimal change.  It's debatable which is
better. Both have capabilities the other lacks.  The main reason bash
is so popular is that it is Open Source and ksh is proprietary (owned
by AT&T, as a matter of fact), which prevents ksh from being distributed
with Linux or (Free/Net/Open)BSD.

                        Chris Mattern

Invoking Bash in Interactive Mode with CDE

Post by Jens-Uwe Mag » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>It is almost, but not quite, compatible with ksh; many ksh scripts
>will run on bash with no or minimal change.  It's debatable which is
>better. Both have capabilities the other lacks.  The main reason bash
>is so popular is that it is Open Source and ksh is proprietary (owned
>by AT&T, as a matter of fact), which prevents ksh from being distributed
>with Linux or (Free/Net/Open)BSD.

The newer Bash 2.0 versions actually convinced me to switch over. I am
a long time ksh user, but the 2.0 bash versions finally are able to cope
with my scripts and the completion feature of bash is much more powerful
than ksh. So after 13 years ksh I am convinced that switching over to
bash was a good thing.

--
Jens-Uwe Mager  <pgp-mailto:62CFDB25>

Is there a proper fixed bash on any of the FTP sites out there?

I know there bash is on the usual sites but I don't know if they are
bugged or not :(

Regards,

Neil.

--

------------------------------------| Edinburgh, EH14 2DE, United Kingdom
**Domino: There`s nothing you can do when you`re the next in line: Domino**

2. Install network driver

3. bash script to input values to a program's setup (user interactive mode)

4. Ego boost for an unemployed bum

5. Determining interactive shell mode (BASH) ?

6. Linux - Inetd Programming

7. Bash: How to invoke executable for bash with bashrc env setup?

8. 3C905B-TX on Solaris 7

9. Bash: Distinguish vi-mode insert/command mode in prompt?

10. How do you invoke GUI FDISK utility in CDE??

11. invoking the CDE

12. Passing parameters to command invoked with "bash -c"

13. Bash: invoke vi on cmd line, how?