Apache/PHP-performance on H70/AIX4.3.3

Post by Richard D. Lath » Tue, 13 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Hi!

> We have a performance problem on our IBM Web-server solution running
> Apache-1.3.12/PHP-4.0.0. We are using the "Network Dispatcher" software
> running on a B50 to balance the load between several Web-servers. The
> web-servers are IBM H70 with dual RS64-II/340MHz processors with 4MB L2
> cache. Each H70 have 1GB of memory, and 4 18GB disks: one as a systemdisk
> and three in s/w Raid0 for web-content.

< snip >

Quote:> * Our sites are very dynamic with each page being built as it is requested.
> We would probably NOT take advantage of the kernel-cache enhancements of the
> IBM HTTP-server.

My first guess is that the CGI fork/exec() overhead is killing you .

I'd suggest a look at Fast CGI in the Apache Manuals ... our system is
extremely dynamic, and we were able to support several orders of
_magnitude_ more requests per second when we changed the interface
from plain CGI to FastCGI.

Quote:> So what do we do now. We have bought a very expensive system that we were

--
#include  <disclaimer.std>    /* I don't speak for IBM ...           */
                              /* Heck, I don't even speak for myself */

Apache/PHP-performance on H70/AIX4.3.3

Post by per_burst.. » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:

> My first guess is that the CGI fork/exec() overhead is killing you .

> I'd suggest a look at Fast CGI in the Apache Manuals ... our system is
> extremely dynamic, and we were able to support several orders of
> _magnitude_ more requests per second when we changed the interface
> from plain CGI to FastCGI.

Thanks for your input Richard, even though it doesn't help us much. We
use PHP and not CGI.

Also, to be able to handle the load for now, we have temporarily
installed a Linux-box - PIII-600 MHz, 768 MB memory - next to the
H70:s. And that Linux-box seems to be able to handle considerably more
requests than a single H70.

/Per

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Richard D. Lath » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> > My first guess is that the CGI fork/exec() overhead is killing you .

> > I'd suggest a look at Fast CGI in the Apache Manuals ... our system is
> > extremely dynamic, and we were able to support several orders of
> > _magnitude_ more requests per second when we changed the interface
> > from plain CGI to FastCGI.

> Thanks for your input Richard, even though it doesn't help us much. We
> use PHP and not CGI.

> Also, to be able to handle the load for now, we have temporarily
> installed a Linux-box - PIII-600 MHz, 768 MB memory - next to the
> H70:s. And that Linux-box seems to be able to handle considerably more
> requests than a single H70.

BTW, I didn't ask, but are you current on AIX maintenance ? There's
been quite a few IP related fixes in both AIX 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. I
wouldn't consider running anything lower than Maintenance Level 2 on
either release.

--

Post by Martin Shiel » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> Thanks for your input Richard, even though it doesn't help us much. We
> use PHP and not CGI.

The two are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

1. Check you're using mod_php and haven't built PHP to run through CGI.
Check the output from phpinfo() to check what modules are loaded.

2. I may be on the wrong track here, but I'd suggest using IBM's
C-compiler on the AIX system rather than the gcc compiler. It has true
64-bit support and may well produce better binaries the the gcc version.
If you don't want to buy it, maybe you could get someone else to do the
compile for you.

Regards,

Martin Shields.

1. Apache/PHP-performance on H70/AIX4.3.3

Hello,

    You may try the install the IBM version of Apache Server. I think this lpp
package will be more optimized to run on AIX.

Try to download from here:
http://www-4.ibm.com/software/webservers/httpservers/download.html

    I am alos interested on the result, if you have tested with this http
server, please send me a e-mail.

Thanx a lots!
Henry Chui

2. Yakumo Laptop under Linux

3. what different is it to hook the system call between aix4.2.1 and aix4.3.3?

4. XWin on PPP

5. Logrotate AIX4.3.3 Apache 1.3.12 ?

6. Adeptec 152x problems

7. Apache 1.3.9/mod_perl AIX4.3.3 make test fails

8. redhat 7.3 trident 9680 acer 55l monitor = blank screen

9. Apache-1.3.3 PROXY -- performance, hit-rate stats, etc?

10. Install prob on AIX4.3.3

11. AIX5.1 ML2 AIX4.3.3 ML10 where ?

12. aix4.3.3 vs aix 5.3

13. AIX4.3.3 and Oracle 8.1.6 Data Gatherer