20 /40 8mm on f50 with lone-tar

Post by bill mora » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:05:39

i am seeing a failure to verify on randon uncompressed files  anyone  seeing the
same
any recommendation as to block_size  etc ....

20 /40 8mm on f50 with lone-tar

Post by Jonathan Fosburg » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> i am seeing a failure to verify on randon uncompressed files  anyone  seeing the
> same
> any recommendation as to block_size  etc ....

We tried lone-tar earlier in the year, and, although I liked the
product, we had a lot of problems with it mysteriously messing up.  It
would claim it wrote out the archive but when it tried to verify the
archive it couldn't read the tape.  Using tar I would get checksum
errors and when I changed the blocksize on the command line it would
read but nothing was in the archive.  Is this similar to what you are
seeing?

1. Lone-Tar / Tar / Tape backup problems

        We currently use a backup program called Lone-Tar on our SCO system.
At times, the backup will just hang for no reason.  The process can't be
killed, so this results in a reboot to get the backups/tape drive working
again.  We're using an HP 2 gig DAT drive, and I have tried different drives,
and the problem still remains, be it a week later or a month.

        Has anyone else had these problems?  Although we're running an
ancient version of Lone-Tar, I beleive the problem is with the tape drive
drivers.  Lone-Tar isn't much more than some menu scripts built around a
tar that does compress.

        Also note that we're using OS 3 on an AST Manahattan.

Thanks,

Dan

      715 Goddard Ave                 |
      Chesterfield MO 63005           |

2. [2.5.33] oops on futexfs mount

3. Lilo "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

4. What's wrong with my samba?

5. LILO saying "L 40 40 40 40 40 40..."

6. perfmeter "solid" with packets; why? (not networked!)

7. Lone-Tar Backup Errors ==> OSR5.0.2 Problems

8. IP-masquerading

9. LINUX AWARD TO LONE-TAR Press Release

10. Help with Lone-tar lockups, please!

11. Lone-Tar Errors ==> OSR5.0.2 fs errors?

12. Lilo spits "L 40 40 40 40"...