Adding a hot spare to an SSA Raid array

Post by BAUMLER Julie » Wed, 16 May 2001 09:14:25

Hello -

I have an SSA drawer with 8 disks and 4 dummies.  The disks are setup as one
RAID 5 array.  Can I replace one (or more) of the dummies with real disks
and use that as a hot spare?

My system is a S7A running AIX 4.3.3.  lsdev lists the adaptor as "ssa0
Available 20-68 IBM SSA Enhanced RAID Adapter (14104500)"

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for current AIX specific
information on administering SSA RAID?  All my recent experience with SSA
RAID is on Solaris.  When I last administered SSA disk on AIX, it was a
whole different world (no smit support yet, no service aids, no RAID 5, ...)

Thanks,
Julie

-------------------------------------
Julie L Baumler
Sr System Administrator Multnomah Co ISD
503-988-3749 X26909

--
Posted from raven.co.multnomah.or.us [159.121.4.162]

Adding a hot spare to an SSA Raid array

Post by Klaus Oberl » Wed, 16 May 2001 17:43:28

Hi Julie,

go ahead! Replace one dummy with a real disk of the appropriate size.
Run "cfgmgr -l ssa0" to add the new disk to your system. Next start
"smitty ssaraid" -> "Change/Show Use of an SSA Physical Disk" and
change current use to "Hot Spare Disk". The last step is to change the
raid array to use the hot spare:
"smitty ssaraid" -> "Change/Show Attributes of an SSA RAID Array" and
set "Enable Use of Hot Spares" to "yes". Note: All of your disks (real
an hot spare) must be within the same loop.

Regards
Klaus

Klaus Oberle
IT Administration
Linde AG, Industrial Trucks and Hydraulics Division
Aschaffenburg / Germany

BAUMLER Julie L schrieb:

> Hello -

> I have an SSA drawer with 8 disks and 4 dummies.  The disks are setup as one
> RAID 5 array.  Can I replace one (or more) of the dummies with real disks
> and use that as a hot spare?

> My system is a S7A running AIX 4.3.3.  lsdev lists the adaptor as "ssa0
> Available 20-68 IBM SSA Enhanced RAID Adapter (14104500)"

> Also, does anyone have any recommendations for current AIX specific
> information on administering SSA RAID?  All my recent experience with SSA
> RAID is on Solaris.  When I last administered SSA disk on AIX, it was a
> whole different world (no smit support yet, no service aids, no RAID 5, ...)

> Thanks,
> Julie

> -------------------------------------
> Julie L Baumler
> Sr System Administrator Multnomah Co ISD
> 503-988-3749 X26909

> --
> Posted from raven.co.multnomah.or.us [159.121.4.162]
> via Mailgate.ORG Server - http://www.Mailgate.ORG

1. Re-using SSA disks previously members of a SSA RAID array

On Tue, 16 Mar 1999 20:12:12 -0500 a carbon-based biped by the name of Lekic

Somewhere under the SSA Raid menu entry in the smit|Devices menu,
there is a point that will let you change the usage of a SSA disk.
If a disk has been a member of an array, it is probably listed as
'Array candidate disk' or 'Hot Spare'.
Change that to 'AIX system disk' for all the disks, and you should
be able to re-use the units as normal SSA disks.

Regards

Peter

2. special characters

3. Adding a disk to a SSA RAID Array

4. migration help?

5. SSA Hot Spares not in loop

6. big drive

7. Removal of hot spare from ssaraid array

8. iBCS for RedHat kernel 2.0.32

9. Can hot spare be added after metadevices were created ?

10. AIX/SSA Raid 5, add disk to existing raid

11. adding a hot spare to a RAID5 device...

12. Reusing SSA disks used as RAID array members

13. SSA Disk and RAID Array