aix rs6000 print queue auto detect print file type

aix rs6000 print queue auto detect print file type

Post by gcaul.. » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
  I have a queue setup with the field:
AUTOMATIC detection of print file TYPE to be done?  yes

Looking at the help file it says:
Examples of strings that identify file types are '%!' for PostScript
files.

Is there any way I can add to the strings it auto detects for PostScript
files?  I have a file that is routinely printed that does print on the
postscript, but does is not detected by the normal queue.  Users
choosing a postscript queue would be unmanageable.

thanks

greg

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

aix rs6000 print queue auto detect print file type

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Sat, 18 Nov 2000 13:58:16

The way I have accomplished this in the past was by creating a PCL print
queue and then inserting a filter into the virtual printer which parsed the
first line(s) of the print job.  If it was any string determined to be
PostScript, then I piped the print data into an enq command which directed
the print job to another (PostScript) queue.  If the data wasn't PostScript,
then the print job proceded normally down the pipeline of printers and
printed.

Regards,
Paul

> Hi,
>   I have a queue setup with the field:
> AUTOMATIC detection of print file TYPE to be done?  yes

> Looking at the help file it says:
> Examples of strings that identify file types are '%!' for PostScript
> files.

> Is there any way I can add to the strings it auto detects for PostScript
> files?  I have a file that is routinely printed that does print on the
> postscript, but does is not detected by the normal queue.  Users
> choosing a postscript queue would be unmanageable.

> thanks

> greg

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. RS6000 AIX 4.3 print queue problems

After upgrading from 3.2.5 AIX to 4.3 AIX printer problems have occured.

In smit "Use RJ-45 alternate pinouts" is enabled and flow control is
xon. Printer queues
have multiple print queues such as comp:lp# and pick:lp#.  Could it be
that if something is routed to both of these at the same time it will
put the qdaemon in an operative state.
DEV_BUSY and DEV_WAIT are the shown as the status.  You are unable to
cancel print jobs (which is not really what we want to do).  Sometimes
you can stopsrc -s qdaemon and kill PID#'s and remove from
/var/spool/lpd/stat, then restart qdaemon.  This of course cancels the
print job.  If anyone has an ideas on this, I can provide more info.
Thanks.

2. Promise TX4 100: neither IDE port enabled

3. point solaris print queue to win2000 print queue

4. clock-calendar randomly resets itself

5. How to do landscape print to an AIX print queue.

6. Port 20 risks?

7. "Faulted" printing to AIX print queue???

8. RH 5.0 Newbie needs help.

9. AIX 3.2.5 PRINTING - How to insert ESC into remote print queue.

10. AIX Printing to a Novell Netware 4.1 Print Queue

11. apsfilter-1.6 -- intelligent print filter with file type auto recognition

12. Printing diff. file types to one queue

13. setting up print queue that prints to a file???