Sendmail 8.9.1a & AIX 4.2/4.3

Post by Kent Hooke » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Greetings, Sendmail gurus:

I'm having a very frustrating time getting Sendmail 8.9.1 with the patch

to work properly.  I obtained the dist and patch from sendmail.org,
got the latest m4 compiler and patch program and applied them, and
compiled
8.9.1a successfully.

Behaviour:  It starts as a daemon without complaint, and doesn't relay.
It
will accept locally composed mail and send it outbound.  However, it
will not
accept mail originating either from outside for a legit inside user, nor
will it
accept mail originating from inside to another inside user.

The error Postmaster receives is:

Cannot give this flag and people to send to.

I've been thru all the dejanews postings on this, and through the
Sendmail FAQ and
comp.unix.aix faq.  All the sendmail FAQ says is that the internal
mailer is not
accepting the hand-off of the mail Sendmail is receiving.  However, I've
checked
the sendmail.cf that was generated, and it's virtually identical to the
standard AIX
sendmail.cf in calling /bin/bellmail and passing off the same arguments.

Mailq and newaliases work without complaint.  Anyone have any
suggestions,
esp. those of  you at austin.ibm.com?  Any hints greatly appreciated!

__
Kent *, Sr. Systems Programmer, Unix Support & Systems Admin.
Division of Information Technology, University of Wisconsin-Madison

PGP Public Key available at URL:  http://www.veryComputer.com/:8888

1. Solaris 2.6 NIS /sendmail 8.9.1a aliases problem -- fyi

Greetings.  I thought I would pass this on.  Having recently upgraded
everything in sight I discovered that my NIS server could no longer make
the mail.aliases NIS maps.  Apparently the "sendmail -bi" line in the
NIS Makefile was creating a NEWDB database file,and "mkalias" couldn't
understand it.  At least, that is what it looked like was happening.
This was 'corrupting' the yp map data base and basically breaking
everything.

I got a tip from the Sun bug report 1262695, and changed my
/var/yp/Makefile to read as the following, and now it works.
(By the way, beware of cut/paste breaking the lines if you copy this
using cut & paste!)

aliases.time: $(ALIASES)

 $(MKALIAS) $(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/mail.aliases
$(YPDBDIR)/$(DOM)/mail.byaddr;

Department of Computer Science                          504-280-7190
University of New Orleans                               504-280-7228
(fax)
New Orleans, LA  70148                                  504-723-6953
(pcs)

2. Boot disk just... DIES????

3. Sendmail 8.9.1a and domainaliases

4. Ethernet desires (lusts)

5. Sendmail 8.9.1a patch

6. User Accounting

7. Sendmail 8.9.1a and domainaliases

8. Message catalogues ... supported in Linux?

9. AIX Sendmail after 4.2 - 4.3 upgrade

10. AIX 4.2 vs AIX 4.3

11. pthreads AIX 4.2 --> AIX 4.3

12. Good GUI designer under AIX 4.2 AIX 4.3

13. Sendmail 8.9.x on AIX