I'm making this posting for an IBM marketing person, Brennan Carley,
who doesn't have access to post it himself:
>From: C...@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Mark Kosten - Computer Centre, La Trobe Uni.)
>Subject: AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)
>In article <7...@lhdsy1.chevron.com>, m...@lhdsy1.chevron.com (Mike E.
>> Anyone seen support for X11R3 or X11R4 for the new XGA adapters
>> under AIX PS/2 1.2? I could use an old 8514/A but the specs on
>> XGA make this seem unnecessary. My IBM rep was pretty sure it would
>> be supported someday.
>I have heard from my spies in IBM (comments invited to confirm or deny):
>1. PS/2 AIX is dead (no more new versions, except for bug fixes).
This is absolutely untrue. IBM just announced and has begun to ship a
new release of AIX PS/2. IBM remains committed to AIX on the PS/2.
IBM's president (Jack Kuehler) has publically stated that a future
version of AIX PS/2 would be OSF/1 based.
>2. AIX has not been certified for the PS/2 90 and 95.
Also nonsense. AIX PS/2 1.2.1 is fully supported on the models 90 and
>3. AIX will never be certified to work on the model 90 and 95.
>4. Not said to me, but a conclusion of (3) is no support for XGA.
AIX PS/2 1.2.1 supports XGA in VGA compatibility mode today.
>5. The only way to run Unix on the model 90 and 95 and have IBM's
> blessing is to run SCO's Open Desktop, with which IBM have a licensing
>6. Future Unix versions for IBM PS/2s may be SCO's ODT or something similar
> from a joint development between IBM and SCO.
Also false. Future versions will be OSF based, in line with IBM's
strategic direction for AIX.
Attached is the announcement for the current release of AIX PS/2:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
TITLE AIX PS/2 OPERATING SYSTEM VERSIONS 1.2.1 AND RELATED AIX PS/2
1.1.1 AND 1.2.1 LICENSED PROGRAMS
ABSTRACT The AIX (R) PS/2 (R) Operating System and Operating System
Extensions are now available on Internal Tape Backup Unit (ITBU)
mini-cartridge for customers who wish to install from tape media.
AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.2.1 and related licensed
programs provide support for the GEARBOX (R) Model 800 Industrial
Computer and additional Personal System/2 (R) models. Multibyte
character and the Extended C Language compiler conforming to ANSI
X3J11/90-013 are now offered to address requirements for National
The programs announced today replace Versions 1.1 and 1.2 of
the AIX PS/2 Operating System and related AIX PS/2 programs.
Upgrades from AIX PS/2 Operating System Version 1.1 and Operating
System Extensions Version 1.1 are offered to encourage migration.
AIX PS/2 Operating System
Version 1.2.1 5713-AEQ
AIX PS/2 Operating System Extensions
Version 1.2.1 5713-AFH
AIX PS/2 Application Development
Toolkit Version 1.2.1 5713-AEP
AIX PS/2 DOS Merge Version 1.2.1 5713-AEY
AIX PS/2 INmail (1)/INed (2)/INnet (1)/
INftp Version 1.2.1 5713-AET
AIX PS/2 Network File System
Version 1.2.1 5713-AFG
AIX PS/2 Text Formatting System
Version 1.2.1 5713-AFD
AIX PS/2 Transparent Computing
Facility Version 1.2.1 5713-AFK
AIX PS/2 Transmission Control Protocol/
Internet Protocol Version 1.2.1 5713-AEW
AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1 5601-202
AIX PS/2 X-Windows Version 1.2.1 5713-AEX
AIXwindows Environment for PS/2
Version 1.2.1 5601-439
AIX PS/2 C Language Version 1.1.1 5713-AFC
AIX PS/2 Extended C Language
Version 1.2.1 5621-143
AIX PS/2 Usability Services
Version 1.1.1 5713-AFE
AIX PS/2 VS FORTRAN Version 1.1.1 5713-AFA
AIX PS/2 VS Pascal Version 1.1.1 5713-AEZ
AIX PS/2 Workstation Host Interface
Program Version 1.1.1 5713-AER
Planned Availability Date: February 22, 1991.
(R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines
(1) Trademark of INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation.
(2) Registered trademark of INTERACTIVE Systems Corporation.
PRODNO 5713-AEP 5713-AEX 5713-AFG
5713-AFA 5713-AEY 5713-AFH
5713-AEQ 5713-AEZ 5713-AFK
5713-AER 5713-AFC 5601-202
5713-AET 5713-AFD 5601-439
5713-AEW 5713-AFE 5621-143
o Support for additional hardware
o Support for multiple byte characters and ANSI C applications
o DOS Merge support for (Lotus (3)/Intel (4)/Microsoft (5) 4.0)
(LIM 4.0) specifications
o Installation from PS/2 Internal Tape Backup Unit
o Availability of an X.25 API
o Availability of an API for the Realtime Interface Co-Processor
o Improved file system requiring less fixed disk space
(3) Trademark of Lotus Corporation.
(4) Trademark of Intel Corporation.
(5) Registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.
Growth enablement is enhanced through additional system and
support. AIX PS/2 Version 1.2.1 announces support for the following
- IBM PS/2 Model 65 SX (8565-321, 8565-061, 8565-121)
- IBM GEARBOX Model 800 Industrial Computer (7568-150)
- IBM PS/2 Model 90 XP 486 (8590-0J5, 8590-0J9, 8590-0KD)
- IBM PS/2 Model 95 XP 486 (8595-0J9, 8595-0JD, 8595-0KD)
- IBM PS/2 Model P75 486 (8573-161, 8573-401)
- IBM PS/2 Model 80 (8580-081, 8580-161, 8580-A16)
o Co-Processor: IBM PS/2 Wizard Adapter (#3462, 64F7351)
o Keyboard: Icelandic
o Storage Devices:
- IBM 4869 External Diskette Drive
- IBM PS/2 Tape Backup Unit (#5279, 30F5279)
- IBM PS/2 CD-ROM Drive (#1113, 6451113)
- 3510 IBM PS/2 External CD-ROM Drive
- 3511 IBM PS/2 External Storage Enclosure for SCSI Devices
- IBM PS/2 400MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1081, 6451081)
- IBM PS/2 80MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1045, 6451045)
- IBM PS/2 160MB SCSI Fixed Disk Drive (#1046, 6451046)
o Communication Adapter: IBM PS/2 Adapter/A for Ethernet Networks
NOTE: Support will be provided no later than August 1991.
- IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 1MB (#0072, 44F9914)
- IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 3MB (#0073, 44F9919)
- IBM PS/2 Image Adapter/A 3MB-6091 (#0074, 44F9921)
- IBM 7544 Industrial Graphics Display
- IBM 7554 Industrial Graphics Display
- 8515 PS/2 Color Display (1024 X 768 color 14-inch)
- IBM Personal Page Printer II Model 031
- IBM 4224 Wire Matrix Printer (Models 301, 302, 3C2 and 3E3)
- IBM 4234 Dot Band Printer Model 013
- 5204 Quickwriter (R) Printer
- IBM 4019 LaserPrinter
- IBM 4019 LaserPrinter E
- IBM 3816 Page Printer Model 01D
- IBM 3812 Pageprinter Model 2
- 4072 ExecJet (TM) Printer
- 6185 Color Plotter.
(R) Registered trademark of International Business Machines
(TM) Trademark of International Business Machines Corporation.
The capability to implement National Languages in the AIX PS/2
environment required the need for additional character support.
Multibyte character support to addresses this requirement. AIX PS/2
Extended C Language Version 1.2.1 complies with ANSI X3J11/90-013.
The DOS Merge program now supports the LIM 4.0 specification
providing expanded memory support (EMS memory) to DOS applications.
AIX PS/2 X.25 Version 1.2.1 now provides the following:
o Support for logon from terminals attached to a packet
assembler/disassembler (PAD) supporting CCITT (6) X.29
(6) International Telegraph and Telephone Consultative
read more »