risc 220 cdrom not booting

Post by Michael Murph » Sat, 26 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I have a risc 220 running o/s version 3.2.?? but less than 3.2.5
I am trying to install aix 4.2 from cd but not able to get cd to boot
in service mode.  In the service mode boot list a generic cd is listed
and I have altered the boot list to have the cd as my first option and
the hdisk0 as my 2nd option for booting.  With the 4.2 cd in  the cd rom
and the risc in service mode, the system still boots into diags off the
hdisk0 version 2.2.

How can I get the cd to boot in order to load new aix 4.2. Any help will
be appreciated.  The system does not have a floppy drive.  Please send

Thanks

James Poland

risc 220 cdrom not booting

Post by hwygu » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

From my expierience with those mean ol' 220's, you need a microcode upgrade
to boot from CD-Rom,  which isnt available, and never was, I think. Best
Bet: find and old 8mm tape drive and get AIX 4.2 on 8mm.

Hope this helps!
-Anthony Fiore

> I have a risc 220 running o/s version 3.2.?? but less than 3.2.5
> I am trying to install aix 4.2 from cd but not able to get cd to boot
> in service mode.  In the service mode boot list a generic cd is listed
> and I have altered the boot list to have the cd as my first option and
> the hdisk0 as my 2nd option for booting.  With the 4.2 cd in  the cd rom
> and the risc in service mode, the system still boots into diags off the
> hdisk0 version 2.2.

> How can I get the cd to boot in order to load new aix 4.2. Any help will
> be appreciated.  The system does not have a floppy drive.  Please send

> Thanks

> James Poland

risc 220 cdrom not booting

Post by Thorsten Jungblu » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> From my expierience with those mean ol' 220's, you need a microcode upgrade
> to boot from CD-Rom,  which isnt available, and never was, I think. Best
> Bet: find and old 8mm tape drive and get AIX 4.2 on 8mm.

another possibility is, that you used a cdrom-drive, from which the 220
doesn't want to boot...
i tried a toshiba cdrom, and my 320 didn't boot.
then i tried a plextor px-32 and this worked fine.

> > I have a risc 220 running o/s version 3.2.?? but less than 3.2.5
> > I am trying to install aix 4.2 from cd but not able to get cd to boot
> > in service mode.  In the service mode boot list a generic cd is listed
> > and I have altered the boot list to have the cd as my first option and
> > the hdisk0 as my 2nd option for booting.  With the 4.2 cd in  the cd rom
> > and the risc in service mode, the system still boots into diags off the
> > hdisk0 version 2.2.

> > How can I get the cd to boot in order to load new aix 4.2. Any help will
> > be appreciated.  The system does not have a floppy drive.  Please send

> > Thanks

> > James Poland

Gru?,
Thorsten
Thorsten Jungblut
Universit?t Koblenz, Fachbereich Informatik

risc 220 cdrom not booting

Post by rsc » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> From my expierience with those mean ol' 220's, you need a microcode upgrade
> to boot from CD-Rom,  which isnt available, and never was, I think. Best
> Bet: find and old 8mm tape drive and get AIX 4.2 on 8mm.

Crap.  I really didn't want to hear that.  I've got 2 Powerstation 220's
I picked up cheap and put memory and disks in hoping to be able to run
Linux on.  Unfortunately, PowerPC Linux only really supports machines
with PCI bus's, and the 220's have IBM's Microchannel.  Which they've
been
apparently tight-lipped about with the specs.

I got a copy of 4.3 AIX with the hope of at _least_ getting these things
up and running, but the disks have _no_ OS, and the machines only seem
to want to boot from the network device (in any mode).  An AIX friend
(I'm a newbie) said to try:
bootlist -m prevboot
bootlist -m service cd0 hdisk0

but that method requires having an OS installed in the first place.  I'm
really astonished to find out that a machine made in the '90s would
require a TAPE drive to install the OS (from scratch).

Howver, I do have access to an IBM 8mm tape drive, but I doubt I have
the
tapes (or access to get them).  Would it be possible to dump (say with
dd) the cd's to 8mm?
My machines do have floppy drives.  Is there any hope with that route?

Are there any particular models I could clone a disk from and be
relatively
safe?  My friend has quite a few RS/6000, but I don't know the models...

Thanks,
Bob Campbell                    Unix System Administrator
Scientific Computing Division   National Center for Atmospheric Research

risc 220 cdrom not booting

Post by BT » Sun, 29 Nov 1998 04:00:00

rsc schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:>Crap.  I really didn't want to hear that.  I've got 2 Powerstation 220's
>I picked up cheap and put memory and disks in hoping to be able to run
>Linux on.  Unfortunately, PowerPC Linux only really supports machines
>with PCI bus's, and the 220's have IBM's >Microchannel.

... and as I know the 220s are not using the PowerPC-CPU, and Linux/RS6000
supports MCA, but needs the PowerPC, so not the 220.

Benjamin

1. Re. Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220 Re: Problems adding tape drives to RS6000/220

Your system does not find the tape during boot phase. For IBM tapes normally
plug them, switch them on, boot up the system and AIX automatically
configures them.

The 220 uses other SCSI cabels than your 320 are they ok. Check the SCSI ID
of your tape - maybe you have other devices using the same ID. Run
'lscfg -v' to display all devices.

frank ;-)

| E-Mail: FRANVM3(KRAEMERF)                 - IBM VNET  "Yes, I'm one  |
| ======  IBMMAIL(DEIBM27S)                 - IBM-Mail   of those      |
|         DE.IBMX400.IBMMAIL.KRAEMER.KRAEME - X.400      stupid IBM    |

| Voice : +49-(0)611/776-364                                           |
| Mail  : Abraham-Lincoln Street 26, 6200 Wiesbaden, Germany           |
'----------------------------------------------------------------------'

2. Partition Problem

3. CDROM? CDG-220 works?

4. Need Linux kiosk consultant

5. LXYCON CDM-220 2X CDROM supported?

6. Linux & Computer Telephony boards

7. 7011-220 and CDROM

8. Serial line programming

9. 7011-220 and CDROM 2nd Try

10. Problem with my Cretive CDROM 220

11. adding an external cdrom sun fire 220

12. 7011-220 won't boot from 4.3.3 install CD