Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

Post by Aaro » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 11:42:36

Dear all,

Does anyone know AIX can support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a
single network interface using single IP or not ??

If it is support how to do it or is it is free product using in AIX

Regards,

Aaron

Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

Post by pza.. » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:37:31

Yes it does.  It supports three types of vifs or etherchannel.
Standard which will transmit on one adapter and receive on the other
but is seen by the switch as one nic and one mac.  Round robin which
will load balance evenly across both nics and the third option I am
not clear on but I think it is a hot standby setup.

Anyway just run  smit etherchannel  assuming you are running AIX 4.3.x
code or newer and you will see the easy to follow menus.

Good luck.

Quote:>Dear all,

>Does anyone know AIX can support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a
>single network interface using single IP or not ??

>If it is support how to do it or is it is free product using in AIX

>Regards,

>Aaron

Does AIX support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a single network interface using single IP

Post by Scott L. Field » Wed, 13 Mar 2002 08:01:39

Etherchannel is CISCO specific. 802.3AD is an industry standard port
aggregation method that most everyone else will be supporting soon,
including AIX.

If you have CISCO equipment, you can do Etherchannel now.

> Yes it does.  It supports three types of vifs or etherchannel.
> Standard which will transmit on one adapter and receive on the other
> but is seen by the switch as one nic and one mac.  Round robin which
> will load balance evenly across both nics and the third option I am
> not clear on but I think it is a hot standby setup.

> Anyway just run  smit etherchannel  assuming you are running AIX 4.3.x
> code or newer and you will see the easy to follow menus.

> Good luck.

> >Dear all,

> >Does anyone know AIX can support Combine 2 network adaptor to form a
> >single network interface using single IP or not ??

> >If it is support how to do it or is it is free product using in AIX

> >Regards,

> >Aaron

1. single interface multiple networks + broadcast to all networks

Hello,

I have a machine which is in one network say 192.168.1.0.
But we have here a configuration where two networks 192.168.1.0
and 192.168.2.0 are local and directly available.
So I had to set up two routes to the local networks.
Now this machine should be a cups-server to both networks
and broadcast his cups-information into both networks.
I seems that I can sent only broadcast-packets  to the network
where the host belongs.
Is it so uncommon to sent broadcast into the other network?
Or must be the source of a broadcast packet originate in the same network?
Do I have to enable something under /proc/sys/net/...
Or is just cups broken?

Greetings,
        David

2. xf86config for HP Omnibook 800

3. Multiple network interfaces via a single network card

4. SNI Primergy 870 and OSR 5.0.4[5]

5. More than one IP Addresses on a single Network Interface

6. Installing HD

7. assign only one single IP address to 2 or more networks interface to your computer

8. Running scripts using a different account name

9. How to exclude single ip-address form ip range?

10. Mandrake Single Network Firewall Web-interface Slow!!!

11. HACMP single adapter network

12. Multiple IP Address on single Network Card

13. Theorical question: single Ethernet with 2 IP networks?