Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Gerhard A. Bartosc » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00



You have also to change the User Interface from Desktop Environment
to Command Line.

Kind regards

Gerhard Bartosch

================================================================================

Gerhard Anton Bartosch    Tel.    :   +43 1 891 36 - 1372
Bull AG                   FAX     :                - 3317
Open Systems Support      bullcom :            236 -


A-1150         WIEN       Notes   : Gerhard Bartosch/WIEN/AT/BULL
=================================================================================


> I've seen some posts to the effect that one must use an ascii console
> when installing AIX 4.3.* on a 7011-220 (or any other system with a
> Gt1 graphics adapter, which my system has).  That clearly explains
> why my system hangs at c31 when trying to boot from the install
> media.

> One of the posts included a diagram which appeared to attempt to
> explain what one needs to do in order to disable the graphics
> adapter, but following my interperetation of the diagram didn't
> get the system past c31.

> This may be relevant, but I hope it isn't: I've attached a null-modem
> cable to the 7011.  The other end of the cable is attached to my
> PC.  I've used this same configuration to install Linux on a Sparc
> Classic successfully, so I'm do not believe the problem lies with
> the null-modem cable or my use of minicom.

> What exactly does one need to do in order to boot with an ascii
> console or a null-modem cable?  I've completely removed the card
> and the boot seqence still stops at c31.

> Regards,

> Nicholas

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Chuck Kuhlma » Sat, 18 Sep 1999 04:00:00


not true

c31/32/33 indicate messages on console...

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Felix Mathai » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00


This LED number in my opinion would poit to a faulty memory in you
system. c31 means "testing 8MB SIMM", c32 means testing 16MB SIMM,...

Try a new memory


> I've seen some posts to the effect that one must use an ascii console
> when installing AIX 4.3.* on a 7011-220 (or any other system with a
> Gt1 graphics adapter, which my system has).  That clearly explains
> why my system hangs at c31 when trying to boot from the install
> media.

> One of the posts included a diagram which appeared to attempt to
> explain what one needs to do in order to disable the graphics
> adapter, but following my interperetation of the diagram didn't
> get the system past c31.

> This may be relevant, but I hope it isn't: I've attached a null-modem
> cable to the 7011.  The other end of the cable is attached to my
> PC.  I've used this same configuration to install Linux on a Sparc
> Classic successfully, so I'm do not believe the problem lies with
> the null-modem cable or my use of minicom.

> What exactly does one need to do in order to boot with an ascii
> console or a null-modem cable?  I've completely removed the card
> and the boot seqence still stops at c31.

> Regards,

> Nicholas

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by LAIX Software Consultin » Sun, 19 Sep 1999 04:00:00


Correct - C31 is attempting to locate the console, C32 and C33 are
console is a graphical display or terminal respectively.  Hanging on C31
in normal mode form disk is typically caused by lack of carrier detect
(cabling) but installation or maintenance mode doesn't care about
carrier detect - so a C31 booting from the CD usually happens when you
get to the "press 1 to make this the console" type of message.  If you
don't see it, I'd suspect cabling, baud rate mismatch (terminal not set
to 9600, etc.)

Regards,
Paul


> not true

> c31/32/33 indicate messages on console...

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Nicholas Dron » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00



: : Correct - C31 is attempting to locate the console, C32 and C33 are
: : console is a graphical display or terminal respectively.  Hanging on C31
: : in normal mode form disk is typically caused by lack of carrier detect
: : (cabling) but installation or maintenance mode doesn't care about
: : carrier detect - so a C31 booting from the CD usually happens when you
: : get to the "press 1 to make this the console" type of message.  If you
: : don't see it, I'd suspect cabling, baud rate mismatch (terminal not set
: : to 9600, etc.)

: The terminal was set to 9600 8N1 and I'd used the same setup (cables, serial
: ports on the PC, minicom configuration) to install Linux on a SparcClassic
: two days prior to this.

It occured to me today while driving that I may have simply connected the
null-modem cable to the s2 port on the 220. :)

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> This LED number in my opinion would poit to a faulty memory in you
> system. c31 means "testing 8MB SIMM", c32 means testing 16MB SIMM,.

On an IBM machine the codes usually mean:
c31  Select the console display for the diagnostics. To select No console
     display, set the key mode switch to Normal then to Service. The
     diagnostic programs will then load and run the diagnostics
     automatically.
c32  A direct-attached display (HFT) was selected..
Quote:

> Try a new memory

** I do NOT think it is a memory problem.
 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Norman Levi » Mon, 20 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> > What exactly does one need to do in order to boot with an ascii
> > console or a null-modem cable?  I've completely removed the card
> > and the boot seqence still stops at c31.

Doesn't the 220 have a 'strange' connection for the serial port?
You need to use serial port 1 at 9600, 1 stop bit, no parity and your vt100
emulation should work fine.

--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 21 Sep 1999 04:00:00




> : Correct - C31 is attempting to locate the console, C32 and C33 are
 **removed**

> The terminal was set to 9600 8N1 and I'd used the same setup (cables, serial
> ports on the PC, minicom configuration) to install Linux on a SparcClassic
> two days prior to this.

*** what Paul is suggesting is, that AIX uses some of the pinouts that some
other systems don't.  There was a well documented problem tnat many AIX V3 people
ran into when they moved to AIX V4.   Cables that used to work - no longer
worked.  Try another cable.  A Belden serial printer cable works very well.

--
Norman Levin
vm/dynAmIX inc.

 
 
 

Installing AIX 4.3.2 on a Bull DPX/20 100 (7011-220 (?)).

Post by Jose Pina Coelh » Sun, 26 Sep 1999 04:00:00



> It occured to me today while driving that I may have simply connected the
> null-modem cable to the s2 port on the 220. :)

Nicholas, If you're talking about service mode boot, you should get the
prompt on ALL serial ports (S1, S2 & any 8, 16, 64 (and I think 128) port cards).

--
Doing AIX support was the most monty-pythonesque
activity available at the time.

 
 
 

1. dpx/20 100 series and max aix version ?

Hi there,
I got an old dpx/20 100 series and would like to use it for educational
purposes.
However, the lowest aix version I have on shelf is 4.3.1 which says "for
ESCALA".
Is it ok to install this version or is there - and if so, WHAT version - a
max version for this oldy but goldie.

PS. If I remember  correctly, the 100 series was a mono-cpu system, or was
it?

Thanx in advance,
MDK

2. KZPAC support on Tru64 5.1>

3. BULL DPX/20 and AIX 4.2.1 Install Problem

4. Non-US characters on X

5. AIX 4.3.2 on a 7011-220: missing fileset devices.sys.sga

6. install lockup

7. How to used AIX 4.3 on the PowerServer 7011-220

8. PS/2 Mouse

9. WTB or Trade: AIX 4.x compliant video card for 7011-220

10. AIX wanted for IBM RS6000 (model 7011-220)

11. 7011-220 won't boot from 4.3.3 install CD

12. Installing AIX 4.1.4 on 7011 220

13. PC as console on AIX 4.3.2 (Bull DPX/20) - Newbie