gigabit ethernet question

Post by becn.. » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 23:47:15

Can I link two hosts via Gigabit ethernet via a direct cable connection
or must I go through a switch or hub of some type? When I connect the
two cards with the cable, the green link light lights, but it doesn't
seem to be active, I cannot ping to the other address. Does anyone know
how to achieve this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

gigabit ethernet question

Post by Scott Tompkin » Sun, 10 Sep 2000 00:01:42

you must use a crossover cable to do this, not a standard ethernet cable.

--
All Opinions are mine alone and do not
reflect the ideas or opinions if IBM.

> Can I link two hosts via Gigabit ethernet via a direct cable connection
> or must I go through a switch or hub of some type? When I connect the
> two cards with the cable, the green link light lights, but it doesn't
> seem to be active, I cannot ping to the other address. Does anyone know
> how to achieve this?

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. Sun GigaBit Ethernet Adapter questions

I need to know whether the Sun GigaBit Ethernet Adapter supports

- MAC per virtual interface instead of MAC per adapter
- 802.1Q VLAN tagging
- 802.1p priorization
- QoS designation

Thanks for any hints.

Achim Gratz.

--+<[ It's the small pleasures that make life so miserable. ]>+--
WWW:    http://www.inf.tu-dresden.de/~ag7/{english/}

Phone:  +49 351 463 - 8325

2. Netmeeting and linux router (coyote) success

3. Sun Gigabit Ethernet 2.0 vs 3.0 Questions....need your help

4. soundcore.o file missing/Soundblaster live

5. Gigabit Ethernet (vge) Throughput questions

6. Trouble during boot session

7. Is jumbo ethernet MTU possible with Hamachi Gigabit ethernet driver?

8. Using NT box as internet proxy/gateway/??

9. gigabit ethernet performance - Solaris 2.6, gem ethernet driver

10. Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)

11. tuning gigabit ethernet and IP stack??

12. Gigabit Ethernet on Solaris 2.6

13. gigabit ethernet