AIX Universe vs Sequel Server

Post by Taurus2 » Wed, 10 Jan 2001 00:02:14

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using AIX with a Universe
database over a NT Sequel Server database-web interface environment.
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

AIX Universe vs Sequel Server

Post by John Kratzer EV » Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:21:33

Universe runs very well on AIX servers.  I currently run 3 servers with it.

It will utilize the AIX security as well as the databse security.

There are more security holes in NT and  SQL server.

As for uptime, any flavor of unix is better than NT.

You might also concider running alternative operating systems.  Universe and
Unidata will also run under Linux or (ughh) NT.

You can get more information about Universe/Unidata at http://www.ardent.com
.  Beware....Ardent was recently purchased by Informix.  They are keeping
full product support for all Ardent products.

--
John Kratzer
Systems/Network Administrator

Quote:> What are the advantages and disadvantages of using AIX with a Universe
> database over a NT Sequel Server database-web interface environment.
> Thanks

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

1. Sequels, sequels, sequels!

I hereby dub 2003 to be the year of the Sequel!

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

X-Men 2 (X2)

Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

The Matrix Reloaded

8 Mile  <-- not a sequel

Superman V (maybe not til 2004)

Die Hard 4

The Hulk  <-- not a sequel

Spider-Man 2

And isn't there scuttlebutt of the next Star Wars installment to be out
soon as well?

--
rapskat -   1:01am  up 22 days,  1:47,  1 user,  load average: 0.31, 0.20, 0.12
CPU states:  0.1% user,  0.0% system,  0.1% nice,  0.1% idle

I have just had eighteen whiskeys in a row.  I do believe that is a record.
                -- Dylan Thomas, his last words

2. WWWOFFLE and Browser Cookies (Problems with external PROXY)

3. Opinions Wanted: Solaris 2.4 vs. AIX vs. HP/UX vs AT&T Sys5v4

4. Sun C++ & templates problem

5. Linux vs OS2 vs NT vs Win95 vs Multics vs PDP11 vs BSD geeks

6. Bash Format Question

7. Connectivity From Linux to Sequel server

8. Virtual Server Setup on Solaris Server

9. Multiport vs Ethernet Servers vs SCSI Servers

10. Web Server: Apache vs. AOLServer vs. WN Server- Pros and Cons?

11. Universe 9.5 on AIX 4.3, Starting the spooler drops me to a root prompt

12. AIX/VMARK/Universe

13. uniVerse and AIX 3.2