fortune hanging

Post by Aches administrat » Thu, 27 Feb 1992 22:30:16

        I've got our /etc/profile set up to automatically throw up a fortune
on logout.  Unfortunately, however, it seems that it's* on a
particular fortune (My love ... I wish I'd never met him. - Dorothy Parker).

        Anyone else ever seen this fortune, and gotten _past_ it?

(Yes, I know this is somewhat frivolous, but seeing a fortune does make
life for the masses a little more pleasant.)

        TIA

                Mitch

Silence = Death

fortune hanging

Post by John F Haugh » Fri, 28 Feb 1992 22:39:23

>    I've got our /etc/profile set up to automatically throw up a fortune
>on logout.  Unfortunately, however, it seems that it's* on a
>particular fortune (My love ... I wish I'd never met him. - Dorothy Parker).

>    Anyone else ever seen this fortune, and gotten _past_ it?

>(Yes, I know this is somewhat frivolous, but seeing a fortune does make
>life for the masses a little more pleasant.)

This used to regularly happen with the earliest versions of v3.1 and
was caused by fortune having the wrong permission bits.  The program
must run setgid bin (or some other group) so it can write to the
fortune file (which isn't world writable).

If you just upgraded, the upgrade might have broken the permission
settings (or if you just backup/restored, etc.)
--
John F. Haugh II        | Every 56 days.   | UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!rpp386!jfh

SigVirusGuard 1.1: Don't Post News Without It!  [ now in handy mail size too! ]

1. fortune data file and fortune command

Does anyone know what (and why?) fortune changes in the
/usr/games/lib/fortune/fortune.dat file?  It changes only the first
"line" (I think it's in the first 128 bytes).  Is it writing a counter
so that I don't see the same fortune twice?

Thanks!
James Nau

College of Engineering
University of Nebraska--Lincoln
W181 Nebraska Hall
Lincoln, NE  68588-0501

2. ftp does not allow 'ls'

3. fortune - how to make own fortunes ?

4. Help!:Wrong video cfg leads to black screen!

5. fortune-0.1 - simple, small, fast fortune program

6. After upgrade my system doesn't boot any more

7. Hang, Hang, Hangs. No hopes!

8. Uninstall linux

9. fail to compile 'fortune'

10. BSD games / fortune

11. compiling older version of 'fortune' with gcc2.7.2.1: problem in dirent.h

12. Making fortune files

13. Fortunes (or whatever the heck they are :)