not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Maheshw » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:03:06



sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but nothing
is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type was
previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the option
is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with start
'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
Thanks for your help in advance.
Regards,
Maheshwar
 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Paul Landa » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 20:30:17



> sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but nothing
> is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
> machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
> 'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type was
> previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the option
> is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with start
> 'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
> re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
> Thanks for your help in advance.
> Regards,
> Maheshwar

For the PCI ethernet adapters (at least the ones I have used)
this field has no effect (which is why it defaults to N/A [Not
Applicable]).  The card detects which port the cable is plugged
into and activates that port and ignores the other.  This field
did have an effect the old microchannel ethernet adapters.

Do you have a 'green light' on the hub/switch?
Are there any parameters on the 'smit chgenet' panel
which you need to set (auto negotiate does not work
well in some cases).

What does 'netstat -in' and 'netstat -rn' say?

Paul Landay

 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Mark Addis » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 03:35:51


You might try booting the system up with the CAT5 cable connected. Also, you
may need to lock the speed on the switch/Hub it is connected into.

This should get around any auto-sensing problems with your hardware.

Regards
Mark



> > sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but nothing
> > is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
> > machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
> > 'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type was
> > previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the option
> > is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with start
> > 'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
> > re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
> > Thanks for your help in advance.
> > Regards,
> > Maheshwar

> For the PCI ethernet adapters (at least the ones I have used)
> this field has no effect (which is why it defaults to N/A [Not
> Applicable]).  The card detects which port the cable is plugged
> into and activates that port and ignores the other.  This field
> did have an effect the old microchannel ethernet adapters.

> Do you have a 'green light' on the hub/switch?
> Are there any parameters on the 'smit chgenet' panel
> which you need to set (auto negotiate does not work
> well in some cases).

> What does 'netstat -in' and 'netstat -rn' say?

> Paul Landay

 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Maheshw » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 14:39:52


I tried to boot with cat5 cable connected. and the system boots up
normally.
I didnt understand what do u mean by "lock the speed on the switch it
is connected to".
ping and telnet to localhost/his own IPaddress works.
I guess that means TCP/IP config is fine. Am i correct? Only thing
left is either the ethernet card or the cable. I am sure that ethernet
card is fine, as the box was on the network sometime ago.
lsdev -C| grep ent shows me two entries: "pmc0 Avail.. 01-IO Power
management Contr" and "ent0 Avail 04-BO IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter"
How can I be sure that my cable is connecting to "eth0" only???

> You might try booting the system up with the CAT5 cable connected. Also, you
> may need to lock the speed on the switch/Hub it is connected into.

> This should get around any auto-sensing problems with your hardware.

> Regards
> Mark




> > > sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but nothing
> > > is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
> > > machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
> > > 'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type was
> > > previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the option
> > > is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with start
> > > 'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
> > > re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
> > > Thanks for your help in advance.
> > > Regards,
> > > Maheshwar

> > For the PCI ethernet adapters (at least the ones I have used)
> > this field has no effect (which is why it defaults to N/A [Not
> > Applicable]).  The card detects which port the cable is plugged
> > into and activates that port and ignores the other.  This field
> > did have an effect the old microchannel ethernet adapters.

> > Do you have a 'green light' on the hub/switch?
> > Are there any parameters on the 'smit chgenet' panel
> > which you need to set (auto negotiate does not work
> > well in some cases).

> > What does 'netstat -in' and 'netstat -rn' say?

> > Paul Landay

 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by fran » Sat, 23 Feb 2002 19:38:02


"Lock the speed on the switch" means, that you turn off autosensing on
the switch, if your switch allows this. Many switches allow to set the
speed to 10 or 100 MBit manually (instead of auto/autosense).

I've had the same problem too - the nic and the switch were set to
autosense and I got no connection. After setting the switch to 100 MBit
manually, everything worked fine.

Maybe the network gets confused, if multiple components are set to
autosense - and don't know which speed to use.

Frank

--
Posted via dBforums
http://dbforums.com

 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Mark Addis » Sun, 24 Feb 2002 04:38:02



Quote:> I tried to boot with cat5 cable connected. and the system boots up
> normally.
> I didnt understand what do u mean by "lock the speed on the switch it
> is connected to".
> ping and telnet to localhost/his own IPaddress works.
> I guess that means TCP/IP config is fine. Am i correct? Only thing

You are correct, the TCP/IP is fine. This does not test the network card or
anything past it such as the cable, switch/hub.

The network card will be trying to auto negotiate a speed with the
switch/hub that it is connected to.

The switch/hub will also be trying to auto negotiate a speed with the
network card.

Most of the time this works fine, but ever now and then this process fails.
The result is that the machine is configured correctly, the switch/hub is
configured correctly but the two are not talking, therfore you cannot
connect to anything on your LAN.

The solution is to manually set the speed of the switch/hub port that your
RS6000 is connected to. The following settings should work.

100Mb switch, use 100Mb full duplex
10Mb switch, use 10Mb full duplex
100Mb hub, use 100Mb half duplex
10Mb hub, use 10Mb half duplex

If you cannot set the port on your switch/hub manually, you will have to
change the network interface on the RS6000 from auto negatiate to one of the
above.

I hope I have explained that well enough, drop me a line if not.

Regards
Mark

> left is either the ethernet card or the cable. I am sure that ethernet
> card is fine, as the box was on the network sometime ago.
> lsdev -C| grep ent shows me two entries: "pmc0 Avail.. 01-IO Power
> management Contr" and "ent0 Avail 04-BO IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter"
> How can I be sure that my cable is connecting to "eth0" only???




> > You might try booting the system up with the CAT5 cable connected. Also,
you
> > may need to lock the speed on the switch/Hub it is connected into.

> > This should get around any auto-sensing problems with your hardware.

> > Regards
> > Mark




> > > > sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but nothing
> > > > is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
> > > > machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
> > > > 'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type was
> > > > previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the
option
> > > > is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with
start
> > > > 'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
> > > > re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
> > > > Thanks for your help in advance.
> > > > Regards,
> > > > Maheshwar

> > > For the PCI ethernet adapters (at least the ones I have used)
> > > this field has no effect (which is why it defaults to N/A [Not
> > > Applicable]).  The card detects which port the cable is plugged
> > > into and activates that port and ignores the other.  This field
> > > did have an effect the old microchannel ethernet adapters.

> > > Do you have a 'green light' on the hub/switch?
> > > Are there any parameters on the 'smit chgenet' panel
> > > which you need to set (auto negotiate does not work
> > > well in some cases).

> > > What does 'netstat -in' and 'netstat -rn' say?

> > > Paul Landay

 
 
 

not able to change the 'Cable Type' in TCP/IP Config

Post by Joe » Mon, 25 Feb 2002 03:41:00


Try using smit and go down the device path  rather than communications path.
This should get you to where you can chose 10baseT 100base and so on.
The setting does need to match the hub or switch youre goin to. I've never
had much luck with auto as it needs suport from the hub/switch .Some other
systems as well as aix network very poorly if the setting is wrong, Joe



> > I tried to boot with cat5 cable connected. and the system boots up
> > normally.
> > I didnt understand what do u mean by "lock the speed on the switch it
> > is connected to".
> > ping and telnet to localhost/his own IPaddress works.
> > I guess that means TCP/IP config is fine. Am i correct? Only thing

> You are correct, the TCP/IP is fine. This does not test the network card
or
> anything past it such as the cable, switch/hub.

> The network card will be trying to auto negotiate a speed with the
> switch/hub that it is connected to.

> The switch/hub will also be trying to auto negotiate a speed with the
> network card.

> Most of the time this works fine, but ever now and then this process
fails.
> The result is that the machine is configured correctly, the switch/hub is
> configured correctly but the two are not talking, therfore you cannot
> connect to anything on your LAN.

> The solution is to manually set the speed of the switch/hub port that your
> RS6000 is connected to. The following settings should work.

> 100Mb switch, use 100Mb full duplex
> 10Mb switch, use 10Mb full duplex
> 100Mb hub, use 100Mb half duplex
> 10Mb hub, use 10Mb half duplex

> If you cannot set the port on your switch/hub manually, you will have to
> change the network interface on the RS6000 from auto negatiate to one of
the
> above.

> I hope I have explained that well enough, drop me a line if not.

> Regards
> Mark

> > left is either the ethernet card or the cable. I am sure that ethernet
> > card is fine, as the box was on the network sometime ago.
> > lsdev -C| grep ent shows me two entries: "pmc0 Avail.. 01-IO Power
> > management Contr" and "ent0 Avail 04-BO IBM PCI Ethernet Adapter"
> > How can I be sure that my cable is connecting to "eth0" only???



> > > You might try booting the system up with the CAT5 cable connected.
Also,
> you
> > > may need to lock the speed on the switch/Hub it is connected into.

> > > This should get around any auto-sensing problems with your hardware.

> > > Regards
> > > Mark




> > > > > sorry for this post guys. I know this is an old question but
nothing
> > > > > is working for me. I hv an RS/6000 43P with AIX 4.3.3 on it. My
> > > > > machine is not coming on to the network. I configured TCP/IP thr
> > > > > 'smit', all options are fine. No Nameserver. But the cable type
was
> > > > > previously set to 'N/A'. I have a cat.5 cable. I think then the
> option
> > > > > is 'TP'. I am trying to change the cable type option to TP with
> start
> > > > > 'yes' but some how its not getting effect. I tried even machine
> > > > > re-start also. whats happening? can anybody help me please?
> > > > > Thanks for your help in advance.
> > > > > Regards,
> > > > > Maheshwar

> > > > For the PCI ethernet adapters (at least the ones I have used)
> > > > this field has no effect (which is why it defaults to N/A [Not
> > > > Applicable]).  The card detects which port the cable is plugged
> > > > into and activates that port and ignores the other.  This field
> > > > did have an effect the old microchannel ethernet adapters.

> > > > Do you have a 'green light' on the hub/switch?
> > > > Are there any parameters on the 'smit chgenet' panel
> > > > which you need to set (auto negotiate does not work
> > > > well in some cases).

> > > > What does 'netstat -in' and 'netstat -rn' say?

> > > > Paul Landay

 
 
 

1. asymmetric TCP/IP for 'simplex' cable modems?

My local cable company is going to offer a cable modem capability,
soon.  The speed is supposed to be around 1MB/s but unfortunately they
initially are deploying a one-way system: only download packets go
over the cable---the uplink is via a a regular modem.  BTW, the cable
modem has 10BaseT interface, which then goes to the Ethercard in the
PC.  In the spirit of 'half of something is better than full of
nothing' I am interested in trying that; however, the cable guys only
support it under Win95.

How would one go about setting up  a Linux system to route outgoing packets
via the PPP interface, while receiving the incoming traffic via Ethernet?
Can it be done by simply setting up some static routes, or would it require
patches to the network stack? Without having studied the appropriate pieces
of the kernel, i'd guess that similar functionality is needed for net load
balancing, where packets also are split across several net interfaces.

--

                        NIST Center for Neutron Research (bldg. 235), E111
                        National Institute of Standards and Technology
                        Gaithersburg, MD 20899,      USA
                        .. and for spam extractors, FCC Commisioners' email is:

2. Trident TGUI 9660/968x/968x cannot be setup with X

3. xterm not able to 'exec /bin/bash' for not root-uid

4. Better getty?

5. Where's the 'config' in 'make config'?

6. Linking problems

7. How to create a user account that's su-able but not login-able?

8. NetKit-B-0.08 and Linux 2.1.11

9. Compile the 'sock' program in the book 'TCP/IP Illustrated Vol.1'

10. Help identifying tcp/ip variables reported by 'ndd /dev/tcp'

11. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?

12. Will changing IP address affect 'rlogin'/'telnet'?

13. ping -g 'gateway-IP' 'host-IP' DOESN'T work!