device log missing

Post by Wazir Shpoo » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 06:35:29

Hello,

I'm new to aix.  After rebooting my server I am unable to mount one of the
filesystems.  It keeps saying that the device log cannot be located.  The
device log /dev/lvlog00 does not exist.  How can I go about recreating this?
TIA,

-Wazir

device log missing

Post by kal » Wed, 06 Feb 2002 07:16:01

> Hello,

> I'm new to aix.  After rebooting my server I am unable to mount one of the
> filesystems.  It keeps saying that the device log cannot be located.  The
> device log /dev/lvlog00 does not exist.  How can I go about recreating this?
> TIA,

> -Wazir

create a new log device in the volume group that this file system resides in:

mklv -t jfslog VGname 1
(if you want to specify a disk to put it on, specify it after the 1 )

make sure that the log device is closed:
lsvg -l VGname (look for the JFSlog you just created and check to see if it is
closed)

format the log device:
logform /dev/NEWlogdevice
(answer yes to it when it says Destroy log?)

chfs -a log=/dev/NEWlogdevice /File_system_name

mount /File_system_name

Check to see if the log device its complaining about even exists:
lslv existing_log_device_name
It could be affecting other file systems in this Volume group

kal

device log missing

Post by Henrik Morsin » Sun, 17 Mar 2002 03:15:49

> I'm new to aix.  After rebooting my server I am unable to mount one of the
> filesystems.  It keeps saying that the device log cannot be located.  The
> device log /dev/lvlog00 does not exist.  How can I go about recreating this?
> TIA,

Hi,
sure it doesn't say /dev/loglv00??
You dont't give much information about you setup. Which file system is it
and in what volume group.
If it's in your rootvg then it's a problem in you /etc/filesystems. Go in
there, find the file system and change the log to /dev/hd8.

If it is not in your rootvg what does lslv loglv00 say?? Does the log
actually exist?? It's really odd if a log would just dissapear (??) but if
you're absolutely sure that it is no longer there (and used to be) you can
make a new one with 'mklv -t jfslog -y loglv00 vgname 1'

But to me it sounds like a mismatch between you VG and /etc/filesystems.
Possibly someone moved the LV??

Henrik Morsing
Thorsmindevej 6
2720 Vanl?se

1. Device driver devices.pci.scsi missing

Hallo,

after I installed 2 wide differential scsi adapters to a P43/260 under AIX
4.3.1 cfgmgr gives the warning

cfgmgr: 0514-621 WARNING: The following device packages are required for
        device support but are not currently installed.
devices.pci.scsi:devices.pci.00100c00:devices.pci.0c000100

I can not find these drivers on the AIX CDs or on floppys that came with
the adapters .
The adapters do obviously run.

Can I ignore this warning ? If not, where do I find the drivers ?

Thanks,
Martin

2. "RAID level 1 does not need chunksize!"

3. UFS logging vs meta device logging

4. Installation hangs

5. Missing apache server log entries

6. SMC 8013C - Driver?

7. sendmail logging missing to=

8. Hardware support

9. 3c509 - missed interrupt in messages-log

10. /var/log directory miss....

11. missing log and port scanning

12. missing entries from the "last" log?

13. missing /dev/log (syslogd crashes)