RS/6000 RAID vs. AIX RAID

Post by Bill Potte » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Has anyone out there got a feel for the practical performance difference for
RAID-1 between a pair of SSA-disks with AIX LV RAID and the same disks
configured for RAID-1 via the SSA controller with the microcode update.
We have one installation which was set up before the hardware RAID was
available at RAID-1. I would like to know whether it is worth considering
changing the RAID from software to hardware and what benefit I might see.

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.
--

RS/6000 RAID vs. AIX RAID

Post by Bruce Spence » Thu, 27 Apr 2000 04:00:00

AIX mirroring doubles the number of write I/O's over the system bus.  I've
also heard that AIX mirroring increases the CPU overhead associated with LVM
by 20%.