ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Post by Mark Gallowa » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:01:47

I have installed AIX 4.3.3 ML9, and copied over users, passwords, home
directories etc...
The problem I have is that I cannot ftp from this server to any others -
just get the error message above. It is accepting incoming ftp connections
with no problem. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this problem ?

Thanks,
Mark.

ftp 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Post by Mark Gallowa » Fri, 01 Feb 2002 21:30:28

I have just discovered that this is a firewall problem, it is now sorted...

Mark.

>I have installed AIX 4.3.3 ML9, and copied over users, passwords, home
>directories etc...
>The problem I have is that I cannot ftp from this server to any others -
>just get the error message above. It is accepting incoming ftp connections
>with no problem. Any ideas on what could be the cause of this problem ?

>Thanks,
>Mark.

1. A Strange - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection - problem for Linux ftp client.

Here is my machine configuration:

I have 3 window server 2003.  Each one hosts a VMWare server, which in
turn contains both window based and linux based virtual machines.

All the window based virtual machines have no problem connecting to
any of the outside world FTP server.  But all the linux based (i386-
redhat-linux-gnu version 2.4.20-8) virtual machines returns the "421
Service not available, remote server has closed connection" error
right after the username is entered.  For instance:

ftp> open wirefreethought.com
Connected to wirefreethought.com (66.199.224.58).
220 (vsFTPd 2.0.1)
Name (wirefreethought.com:root): vince
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection
Login failed.
No control connection for command: Transport endpoint is not connected

The strange things is, if I try "ping hostname" first, then
immediately follow by "ftp hostname", everything works fine.  Any
other time, the above error occurs.  Everything worked fine before,
until yesterday the problem suddenly occurs.

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

Best Regards,
Vince

2. 2 video cards

3. A Strange problem - 421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

4. Menu fonts in motif apps

5. wuftp: 421 Service not available, remote server has closed

6. DIP script

7. ftp 421 remote service not available

8. g++, linux, inline assembly question

9. 421 remote server has closed connection???

10. FTP: 421 Service not available....

11. FTP error: 421 Service Not Available

12. FTP error ' 421 Service not available'

13. anon ftp:421 Service not available