AIX 1.2 and Maxtor SCSI hard disk - HELP PLEASE!

AIX 1.2 and Maxtor SCSI hard disk - HELP PLEASE!

Post by HAA » Mon, 05 Nov 1990 04:04:41

Has anyone EVER installed a SCSI adapter and a non-IBM hard disk to
a PS/2 running AIX 1.2 ?!?!

I can't get a straight answer out of IBM about this. Some folks say yes,
others no, and NO-ONE will say enough to give me any idea what I
should do.

SITUATION:

I have an IBM PS/2 Model 80, AIX 1.2 and a Maxtor XT-8760s (660 MB SCSI
hard disk). I have ordered the IBM 6451109 non-cache SCSI controller.
Can anyone say - for sure - that AIX 1.2 and the 6451109 will be able
to talk to, and fully format, tha Maxtor drive? Has anyone DONE this
or something similar?

What I know so far:

AIX 1.1 does not support SCSI. AIX 1.2 does. (I have CSDs to 1006)
AIX ONLY supports the IBM SCSI adapters. (other adapters will work under
DOS, OS/2, Novell, Xenix, etc., but **NOT** AIX: grrrr ) AIX 1.2 and the
6451109 wants to see a ANSI compatible (standard X3.131, level 2 ??) SCSI
disk. And although an IBM technical support person said that "all you need
is an ANSI compatible SCSI disk", ANOTHER IBM person has said that AIX
only supports the IBM 120 and 320 MB Hard disks.

What I need:

I need to know what I must do in order to install the hard disk. I
figure when the adapter gets here, I'll copy the ADF, install the
controller, run the reference disk to configure the adapter. THEN,
I'll try to boot AIX from floppy, and install AIX to the SCSI hard disk.
(The SCSI disk is the only hard disk in the system.) I'm having a dificult
time believing that this will work. Any help, please?

Harry Haas
---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

AIX 1.2 and Maxtor SCSI hard disk - HELP PLEASE!

Post by Richard Mays » Tue, 06 Nov 1990 11:34:32

AIX 1.2, as is, will not support your 660 drive.  If you have somewhere
to mount the installation diskette, you can edit the control file that
tells AIX about the disk drive.  The file that you are after is
/etc/fsmap.  It is present on an installed system but you will have to
edit the one on the installation diskette.  You will find stanzas for
each filesystem in the form of:

        "I386_PRI120" root - for a 120mb drive
        "I386_LCL120" /local
        "I386_U120"   /u
        "I386_DMP120" dump
        "I386_PAGE120"        page
        "I386_TMP120" /local/tmp

add:    "I386_PRI655"
        "I386_PRI660"
        "I386_PRI665"
        etc...........

I would suggest adding 3 lines each.  For example, if the reference
diskette shows a 658mb drive, add a line for a 655, 660, and 665,
there is a small % for error.  DO NOT copy the existing file from the
hard drive to the diskette.  Basically, just add into the fsmap file
that is on the installation diskette and FOLLOW IT'S FORMAT!

Richard Mayson

Post by Tor Eg » Tue, 06 Nov 1990 07:34:44

>Has anyone EVER installed a SCSI adapter and a non-IBM hard disk to
>a PS/2 running AIX 1.2 ?!?!

Yes. I've installed AIX on a Seagate Wren VII, (989 MB formatted capacity).

1. Make a copy of the three first diskettes in the AIX 1.2 distribution
   (Boot (1), Boot (2) and Install (3)). DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
   MODIFY THE ORIGINAL DISKETTES.

2. You need to add entries in /etc/fsmap on your copy of the installation
   diskette (Disk 3) for the formatted capacity of your disk (rounded down to
   closest 5 MB,(I needed an entry for 985 MB)). If the correct entries are not
   present, mkfs for the root partition fails. To add these entries, you need
   to have a running version of AIX. (or you may use a disk-editor, and modify
   the 320 MB entries into the desired entry)

3. Since your disk probably has more than 512 MB formatted capacity, you also
   need to patch some more files:

       Name:                                       Diskette
       -----                                       --------
       /boot                                       Boot    (1)
       /generic/install/generic.i386/mhdboot       Install (3)
       /generic/install/generic.i386/mhdload       Install (3)

   The code converting from block number (32 bits) to cylinder,head,sector
   (parameters to BIOS INT 13H) uses an intermediate 16 bits signed integer. By
   patching it to use an unsigned integer, the limit is pushed to 1 GB
   formatted capacity (Which was enough for me). Instead of the sequence
     8BF8 897EE0 C746DE0100 99 8B5EF6 F77F02 8946DC 8BC7 99 F77F02 8BFA
   you need the sequence
     8946E0 C746DE0100 31D2 8B5EF6 F77702 8946DC 89D7 90 90 90 90 90 90 90.

   i.e. before:
     8BF8          MOV   DI,AX
     897EE0        MOV   [BP-20],DI
     C746DE0100    MOV   WORD PTR [BP-22],0001
     99            CWD
     8B5EF6        MOV   BX,[BP-0A]
     F77F02        IDIV  WORD PTR [BX+02]
     8946DC        MOV   [BP-24],AX
     8BC7          MOV   AX,DI
     99            CWD
     F77F02        IDIV  WORD PTR [BX+02]
     8BFA          MOV   DI,DX
   and after:
     8946E0        MOV   [BP-20],AX
     C746DE0100    MOV   WORD PTR [BP-22],0001
     31D2          XOR   DX,DX
     8B5EF6        MOV   BX,[BP-0A]
     F77702        DIV   WORD PTR [BX+02]
     8946DC        MOV   [BP-24],AX
     89D7          MOV   DI,AX
     90            NOP
     90            NOP
     90            NOP
     90            NOP
     90            NOP
     90            NOP
     90            NOP

4. Now install AIX with your modified diskettes.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility for any of the statements/code/data above,
            nor any effects/defects that they might give.

Tor Egge

1. AIX 1.2 and Maxtor 660 MB disk: Please help

I am having trouble installing AIX 1.2 on an IBM Model 80 with a Maxtor
660 MB SCSI disk. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

So far:
I've installed the disk (with the IBM SCSI controller) and it works fines
under DOS. I changed the fsmap file on my installation disks to include
the larger disk. I installed AIX. The installation went OK, but AIX will
not boot from the hard disk. I get the following error message:

HD error: cyl 65114 trk 65517 sector 17 nsects 8 drive 0
undefined error (0) occured
dlook: not a directory
/boot not found
bload: can't open boot
boot strap panic: Unexpected exit in boot code

When I try to run minidisks, I get this error:

040-006 The "minidisk command could not complete because it detected that
        hard disk "hdisk0" has an invalid AIX volume Table of Contents.
        Please see your messages reference book.

However, error 040-006 in my messages book is NOT the same error.

Apparently, the installation program uses a temporary integer value to
describe the disk parameters, which limits the disk size description to
512 MB. this makes sense as the above boot error reports bogus cyl and trk
info. I have been given patch instructions to search for, and replace,
a binary string on the installation disk. This is supposed to change the
temperary value to a long value, but a search of the install disk doesn't
find the required string. At this point, it seems I could simply patch the
values on the boot sector of the hard disk to represent the correct disk
parameters, IF I knew where to look . . . .

ANY help at all on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

---
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/EB          "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

--
Harry Haas  GTRI/RIDL/DB         "What makes it DO that!?" - Bones
uucp:     ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!hh2

2. PHP and Apache - httpd.conf addition?

3. 1.2 G Maxtor hard disk

4. problem with ld

5. AIX 1.2 is dead (was X server for PS/2 XGA under AIX 1.2)

6. how to build kernels to match distributions

7. Please help, large scsi hard disk problem

8. mounting shares as normal user

9. Hard Disk Jumper Question on Maxtor IDE as second disk

10. Help, MAXTOR 1.2 drive.

11. 36 GB Maxtor Hard disk install HELP!!

12. 36GB Maxtor Hard disk install in Redhat 6.1 HELP!

13. External Hard Drive (AIX 1.2 for the PS/2)