Problem with subshell - execv on Aix 4.1.5

Problem with subshell - execv on Aix 4.1.5

Post by greyb » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 17:46:19

After loading latest version of perl and ldap on an RS6000 running
Aix4.1.5
have now got a problem in that shell'd commands from our main
application are failing to run.
Have found that this can be got round my making the app run as setuid
root
hence a permission problem has been created by the perl/ perl-ldap
install routines.
Question is which area of the opsys has been changed that will give
this kind of error ? What is the difference between running something
from an exec's shell as opposed to a straight csh or ksh from login ?
The app in question here is informix 5. I am guessing that the problem
may be terminfo or at least screen handling related.
Any ideas anyone ???

Pat.

Post by greyb » Sat, 20 Apr 2002 16:50:33

> > After loading latest version of perl and ldap on an RS6000 running
> > Aix4.1.5
> > have now got a problem in that shell'd commands from our main
> > application are failing to run.
> > Have found that this can be got round my making the app run as setuid
> > root
> > hence a permission problem has been created by the perl/ perl-ldap
> > install routines.
> > Question is which area of the opsys has been changed that will give
> > this kind of error ? What is the difference between running something
> > from an exec's shell as opposed to a straight csh or ksh from login ?
> > The app in question here is informix 5. I am guessing that the problem
> > may be terminfo or at least screen handling related.
> > Any ideas anyone ???

> It may be terminal-related.  Specific errors returned
> by the Perl program would help.  Do you have any?
> If not, things like:

>    die $!;

> are useful in Perl.  To say that they're "failing to run"
> doesn't help very much.

> Regards,

> Nicholas Dronen

Absolutely correct withe the first sentence ! I found (eventually !!) that
something had changed the permissions on /dev/tty to setgroup id system ??
Taking this back to standard rw cured the problem.

Pat.