Performance/Behavior with Oracle?

Post by James Bulloc » Mon, 20 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am about to engage in a series of performance/stress tests of a rather
complex server architecture:

- Oracle 7.2, on AIX
- Clustered Server, Two SMP Nodes
- PC/Windows Client App Connectd via. SQL*Net
- A number of local application programs connected via Domain Sockets
- Extensive use of Stored Procedures & Triggers

We have acquired the use of ECO-Tools (Compuware), as an integrated
OS/DBMS monitoring tool (along the lines of BMC-Patrol), for the
duration of these tests.

- Anybody have direct knowledge of the ECO-Tools capabilities, or use in
this environment?
- Any ideas on specific things to watch/watch for?

Suggestions for locating additional information on:
- Oracle use of AIX lock management?
- Implementation of the Parallel Option. OS Resources Used. Tuning
Parameters, etc.

Oracle on a cluster, and the Parallel Option are new to me. Also, my
background is HP-UX, Sun-OS/Solaris, and Linux for fun, so AIX
variations are news as well.

Help appreciated.

Performance/Behavior with Oracle?

Post by kell.. » Wed, 22 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I am about to engage in a series of performance/stress tests of a rather
>complex server architecture:

>- Oracle 7.2, on AIX
>- Clustered Server, Two SMP Nodes
>- PC/Windows Client App Connectd via. SQL*Net
>- A number of local application programs connected via Domain Sockets
>- Extensive use of Stored Procedures & Triggers

>We have acquired the use of ECO-Tools (Compuware), as an integrated
>OS/DBMS monitoring tool (along the lines of BMC-Patrol), for the
>duration of these tests.

>- Anybody have direct knowledge of the ECO-Tools capabilities, or use in
>this environment?
>- Any ideas on specific things to watch/watch for?

>Suggestions for locating additional information on:
>- Oracle use of AIX lock management?
>- Implementation of the Parallel Option. OS Resources Used. Tuning
>Parameters, etc.

>Oracle on a cluster, and the Parallel Option are new to me. Also, my
>background is HP-UX, Sun-OS/Solaris, and Linux for fun, so AIX
>variations are news as well.

>Help appreciated.

Watch the locks under Oracle OPS after around 4 nodes the locks start to
impact performance greatly.

Async I/O must be available not just defined after reboot.

Bryan Kelley

1. different behavior when compiling in Oracle

I'm debugging a problem where my application behaves differently when
built with/without Oracle 8.  My application uses FLEXlm for license
management.  If I build it without Oracle, everything works fine
(licensing).  When I build it with Oracle, it stops working (the
licensing part that is).  I thought it might be an issue where the
linker was linking in the wrong version of some library that the
FLEMlm library needed.  I moved all references to the FLEXlm libraries
to the end of the link line so that they wouldn't pickup anything from
the Oracle libraries but that didn't help.  Anyone have any ideas as
to what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance.

2. Config files for named - help?

3. poor oracle performance with linux smp

4. BootX Arguments

5. Oracle Performance and IO latency

6. The CRYPT function call!!

7. Online Oracle Performance Whitepapers...

8. : FDD Read Error : (

9. : Solaris 2.6, VXFS, Volume Manger (vmsa), and Oracle/Sybase/Informix - Performance problems?

10. Solaris versions and performance information (+slow Oracle + high WAIT I/O)

11. Sun's claims regarding Solaris 8 for Oracle DB performance?

12. Oracle Performance problem

13. Best Oracle performance on two-disk Sun server?