Arcserv on AIX?

Post by Christine R Coope » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

My management has decided that they want me to use ArcServe for UNIX
(AIX) on my new AIX box.  I am GREATLY distressed by this because I
would have preferred to use either ADSM, Veritas Netbackup, or Legato
(all fairly robust and full featured products).

My management wants to use this product because they seem to be the only
vendor that is touting that they support Solaris X86 with Oracle support
and they support the crappy old library that is installed on our X86
library.

I have not yet educated myself with Arcserve and have hopes that it will
be as robust as the other UNIX backup products that I have used but I am
concerned because UNIX support by this vendor seems to be an
afterthought.  They appear to hang out primarily in the Intel space.

In our favor, the system I will be backing up is rather small (only
about 250GB) and we won't be keeping a lot of history in the indexes but
I am still concerned about functionality and about this product working
with the AIX JFS.

Any feedback about experiences with this product would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Christine Cooper

Arcserv on AIX?

Post by Ron » Tue, 10 Aug 1999 04:00:00

I havn't used ArcServe but probably will be down the road somewhere
because it was purchased by Computer Associates a short time ago and
it will be replacing the current backup software that is included in
CA's Unicenter product, which we use.  Now for me, I highly suspect
it is a much better product than their current ASM.  CA I believe though
is committed to the UNIX environment and AIX is one of their major top
UNIX's supported.  HOWEVER, Unicenter is priced by "power units" which
means the cost depends on the size of the machine it will run on and
when you do an upgrade to a faster machine, plan on a substantial cost
increase for the software if ArcServe is priced the same way.  I believe
you can find some general information at least about ArcServe on CA's
web page.

Ron

[...]

1. SCO ARCServ and Novell client32 for Win95

Sorry about the first post...wrong email address

We have been using SCOArcServ 2.2  on 5.0.4 to back up about 20 win95
workstations.  All has worked fine until 6 of these workstations
needed to have Novell's client32 installed on them to access a
database on a Netware Server .  These workstations no longer appear
under Remote Hosts on  ARCServ's  backup window.  I have tried
reinstalling ArcServ's Win95 client with no success.  What could be
wrong or is it impossible to use SCO ARCServ with a Novell client
installed?? I do not have much experiance with Novell, perhaps
something could be changed there?

Thanks Glenn

2. Migration question

3. SCO ARCServ backing up Win95 workstations with Novell client32 installed possible??

4. DVD driver - strange things...

5. ArcServ agent consuming memory

6. Bug in SCSI/st driver ?? (problems doing a backup to HPShureStoreDAT24e using 'tar')

7. ArcServ on Linux

8. Want better C-development tool? Read!

9. AIX anonymous FTP list, and porting to AIX FAQ

10. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.2 to AIX 4.3.3

11. Upgrading from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.1

12. AIX 4.3.3 or AIX 4.3.2

13. AIX 4.2 vs AIX 4.3