Configuring SNMP

Post by John Jaszcza » Wed, 22 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I know squat about SNMP. Someone has suggested to me that it can be used to
gather info about networked systems. Particularly information about disk
i/o, system uptime, system utilization......

Who can point me in the direction of some plain speaking documentation on
SNMP and what it takes to get it running on AIX.
The Network Programing Guides seem geared toward someone who knows the
score.

Can SNMP be turned on and provide info on its own, or does something like
Tivoli or Netview have to be used to extract the info?

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International

612-321-4139

Configuring SNMP

Post by Dmitry Gordo » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> I know squat about SNMP. Someone has suggested to me that it can be used to
> gather info about networked systems. Particularly information about disk
> i/o, system uptime, system utilization......

> Who can point me in the direction of some plain speaking documentation on
> SNMP and what it takes to get it running on AIX.
> The Network Programing Guides seem geared toward someone who knows the
> score.

> Can SNMP be turned on and provide info on its own, or does something like
> Tivoli or Netview have to be used to extract the info?

> -JAZZ

> --
> John Jaszczak
> Romac International
> Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

> 612-321-4139

In order start up SNMP the only thing you have to do is to start snmpd
(startsrc -s snmpd). AIX snmp agent (snmpd) gather the information about
special AIX structures like you said (sys.util, disk util, proc.util, mem util
etc.). Furthemore, some of structures may be set remotely including ip-address
:^)). Of course you need one of the frontend: Netview or Openview etc. to get
an access to the data collected. I know that a lot of IBM and CISCO routers
provide their own command line interface to SNMP variables. Maybe there is an
CL UNIX interface-I don't know. IMHO the best thing to understand SNMP is to
read RFC. Or to attend IBM's courses :^)))

Dmitry Gordov
Instructor
IBM Learning services
Russia

Configuring SNMP

Post by John Jaszcza » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Thanks Dmitry!

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International
Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

612-321-4139

>> I know squat about SNMP. Someone has suggested to me that it can be used
>> gather info about networked systems. Particularly information about disk
>> i/o, system uptime, system utilization......

>> Who can point me in the direction of some plain speaking documentation on
>> SNMP and what it takes to get it running on AIX.
>> The Network Programing Guides seem geared toward someone who knows the
>> score.

>> Can SNMP be turned on and provide info on its own, or does something like
>> Tivoli or Netview have to be used to extract the info?

>> -JAZZ

>> --
>> John Jaszczak
>> Romac International
>> Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

>> 612-321-4139

>In order start up SNMP the only thing you have to do is to start snmpd
>(startsrc -s snmpd). AIX snmp agent (snmpd) gather the information about
>special AIX structures like you said (sys.util, disk util, proc.util, mem
util
>etc.). Furthemore, some of structures may be set remotely including
ip-address
>:^)). Of course you need one of the frontend: Netview or Openview etc. to
get
>an access to the data collected. I know that a lot of IBM and CISCO routers
>provide their own command line interface to SNMP variables. Maybe there is
an
>CL UNIX interface-I don't know. IMHO the best thing to understand SNMP is
>read RFC. Or to attend IBM's courses :^)))

>Dmitry Gordov
>Instructor
>IBM Learning services
>Russia

Configuring SNMP

Post by John Jaszcza » Thu, 23 Sep 1999 04:00:00

OK, a little more informaed question. We have the snmpd running and can
extract interface type data (which configured, tcp data, ....) but we are
unable to extract host data. We want to be able to extract information such
as memory utilization, filesystem info, disk info.
When we try to grab this the indication is the data is not available through
the public channel.
The system is V4.3.2 and here is the output of the /etc/snmpd.conf

logging   file=/usr/tmp/snmpd.log    enabled
logging   size=0                                level=0

community  public
community  private   127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255  readWrite
community  system   127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255  readWrite 1.17.2

view     1.17.2     system enerprises view

trap   public   127.0.0.1   1.2.3  fe    #loopback

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International
Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

612-321-4139

>> I know squat about SNMP. Someone has suggested to me that it can be used
>> gather info about networked systems. Particularly information about disk
>> i/o, system uptime, system utilization......

>> Who can point me in the direction of some plain speaking documentation on
>> SNMP and what it takes to get it running on AIX.
>> The Network Programing Guides seem geared toward someone who knows the
>> score.

>> Can SNMP be turned on and provide info on its own, or does something like
>> Tivoli or Netview have to be used to extract the info?

>> -JAZZ

>> --
>> John Jaszczak
>> Romac International
>> Assigned to: Harmonic Systems, Inc.

>> 612-321-4139

>In order start up SNMP the only thing you have to do is to start snmpd
>(startsrc -s snmpd). AIX snmp agent (snmpd) gather the information about
>special AIX structures like you said (sys.util, disk util, proc.util, mem
util
>etc.). Furthemore, some of structures may be set remotely including
ip-address
>:^)). Of course you need one of the frontend: Netview or Openview etc. to
get
>an access to the data collected. I know that a lot of IBM and CISCO routers
>provide their own command line interface to SNMP variables. Maybe there is
an
>CL UNIX interface-I don't know. IMHO the best thing to understand SNMP is
>read RFC. Or to attend IBM's courses :^)))

>Dmitry Gordov
>Instructor
>IBM Learning services
>Russia

Configuring SNMP

Post by Peter Eisc » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

[Perhaps helping Jazz...]

We're looking for the host mib info (mib-2.host).  I thought that the
shipped IBM snmpd dished the dirt on a host (if I read my Tivoli and
netview propoganda right) straight out of the box.

I'm game to rollout the ucd-snmp package to our production hosts but I
like to not have Jazz rollout more stuff than really necessary.  Is there
and IBM package (aftermarket like the compiler) that augments the default
or is it really in there, just needs to be coaxed out or needs to be
replaced?

tanks and ammo,

> OK, a little more informaed question. We have the snmpd running and can
> extract interface type data (which configured, tcp data, ....) but we are
> unable to extract host data. We want to be able to extract information such
> as memory utilization, filesystem info, disk info.
> When we try to grab this the indication is the data is not available through
> the public channel.
> The system is V4.3.2 and here is the output of the /etc/snmpd.conf
> logging   file=/usr/tmp/snmpd.log    enabled
> logging   size=0                                level=0
> community  public
> community  private   127.0.0.1  255.255.255.255  readWrite
> community  system   127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255  readWrite 1.17.2
> view     1.17.2     system enerprises view
> trap   public   127.0.0.1   1.2.3  fe    #loopback
> -JAZZ

Configuring SNMP

Post by Bobby Krupcza » Fri, 24 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> We're looking for the host mib info (mib-2.host).  I thought that the
> shipped IBM snmpd dished the dirt on a host (if I read my Tivoli and
> netview propoganda right) straight out of the box.

http://www.empire.com/products/sysedge.html

Bobby

Configuring SNMP

Post by Dmitry Gordo » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The first thing you can do is to try to find a copy of Trap Generation Daemon
(trapgend). I know that it is available from TME10 Netview for AIX package.
trapgend is responsible for gathering the data you mentioned (for AIX only). I
think that other commercial UNIX versions have this kind of daemon too.
Another way of doing this is to write SMUX agent. It is local extensions of SNMP
agent. They are configurable through snmpd.conf file. The aim of SMUX agent is
to get some data from somewhere (for example, any data OS can provide, etc.) and
to add this data to full variables tree structure served by snmpd.I don't know
much about programming SMUX agents. I think you should search for manuals.
But, I would prefer first way :^)).

Dmitry

--
Dmitry Gordov
Instructor

1. Configuring SNMP... HELP!!!

I have a RedHat 3.0.3 Linux system, and I must configure the snmp system.
I don't know how I must configure it. How can I put access restrictions based
of IP address? How can I lock the access to certain variables?

Thanks in advance,
        Francisco.

2. System calls from kernel space

3. Configuring SNMP parameters for HP JetDirect

4. Win95 to Linux packet loss

5. Install and configure SNMP on Solaris 2.5.1

6. WP5.0 - Out of Memory when printing..

7. How to configure snmp access?

8. using expect to make passwd

9. Configuring SNMP... HELP!!!

10. Win95 snmp w/linux snmp

11. UCD SNMP (Net-SNMP) 4.2.1 on AIX 4.3.3?

12. /proc/net/snmp and SNMP MIB

13. SNMP for People who wish not to snmp