gzip for AIX progress indicator

Post by Mark Sams » Thu, 30 May 2002 17:37:43

Does anyone know of a version of gzip for AIX that has some kind of
progress indicator? Or a capability to estimate the resulting gzipped
file size?

The problem with the version I have is that, when gzipping very large
files, I have no idea of how long it is going to take, and no idea of
how large the resulting file is going to be.

Post by Peter Marksteine » Thu, 30 May 2002 18:28:33

: Does anyone know of a version of gzip for AIX that has some kind of
: progress indicator? Or a capability to estimate the resulting gzipped
: file size?

: The problem with the version I have is that, when gzipping very large
: files, I have no idea of how long it is going to take, and no idea of
: how large the resulting file is going to be.

Since gzip reads the file sequentially, you can use lsof to determine
the offset (if you dont have lsof, get it now!):

$ ls -l hugefile
-rw-r-----   1 root     system   793770367 May 29 11:10 hugefile
$ gzip hugefile &
[1] 87328
$ lsof -oo0 hugefile | grep gzip ; ls -l hugefile.gz ; ps -oetime -p 87328
gzip    87328 root    3r  VREG   40,4 0t173572096 9731 hugefile
-rw-------   1 root     system   9142272 May 29 11:16 hugefile.gz
    ELAPSED
      00:50

Assuming the file is more or less homogeneous you can obtain an
estimate of the total size and time by linear extrapolation.

   Peter

--
Peter Marksteiner
Vienna University Computer Center

1. 'dd' command with progress indicator

Is there a replacement or enhancement to the 'dd' command that will
allow you to monitor the progress of a dd operation?  I'm using dd to
read and write some very large (500MB+) across an ethernet connection.
I'd like to monitor the progress of my job but 'dd' doesn't output
anything until the very end.  Some kind of progress indicator showing
the percent read/written would be nice.

--

Chris

2. KDE Anti aliasing performance

3. sftp with progress indicator?

4. Setting Linux as an incoming router

5. FreeBSD Newbie Progress Day 5 (Making Progress)

6. Odd Question

7. gzip: *.tgz: not in gzip format error?

8. Ls --Color

9. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?

10. AIX and Progress Question

11. apt-get through proxy: "gzip: stdin: not in gzip format"

12. gzip: stdin: not in gzip format

13. Which is better: tar->gzip or gzip->tar?