extendvg error - help restoring mksysb

Post by Charles J. Sergen » Mon, 05 Oct 1998 04:00:00

RS6000 model f40, aix 4.2, (2) 2.2 GB drives - first drive=rootvg, 2nd
drive=datavg
I added 2 4.5 GB drives and when I tried to add one of the new drives to
the rootvg, I received a message
5016-876 extendvg:  warning, the physical partition size of 4 requires
the creation of 1089 partitons...
The system limitation os 1016 per disk.

I understand why this has happened, and I assume I have to do the
following:
make a mksysb backup
backup my datavg
boot up off the mksysb and restore the tape

The reason why I am adding a 2nd drive to my rootvg group is because I
want to mirror the rootvg.

So when I restore the mksysb tape is there any way of only restoring to
the 2.2GB drive and changing
the physical partition size from 4 to say 16 which should increase my
system limitation above to 1016?

Thank you in advance for your help.

extendvg error - help restoring mksysb

Post by John McQ » Tue, 06 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Can't recall exactly how to set the PP size on mksysb restore,
probably some hack to file created by mkfsize before mksysb.

However my main reason for replying is to query your use of disks.
Wouldn't it be easier to migrate the data off your datavg onto a 4.5Gb
drive freeing up a 2.2Gb, which you can then use for your rootvg
mirror.

Good Luck

John

On Sun, 04 Oct 1998 13:11:02 -0400, "Charles J. Sergent"

Post by David Ry » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> RS6000 model f40, aix 4.2, (2) 2.2 GB drives - first drive=rootvg, 2nd
> drive=datavg
> I added 2 4.5 GB drives and when I tried to add one of the new drives to
> the rootvg, I received a message
> 5016-876 extendvg:  warning, the physical partition size of 4 requires
> the creation of 1089 partitons...
> The system limitation os 1016 per disk.

snip

1> When restoring a mksysb tape the system gives you a chance to select
the target disk{s},

It takes the largest drive you selected and uses this to workout the PP
size to use.

2,200MB / 1016 = 2.165 round up gives 4MB PP
4,500MB / 1016 = 4.429 round up gives 8MB PP

etc.

If you have access to a AIX4.3.x CD there is a nice
utility for migrating the rootvg to a new group of one
or more disks. Works for AIX 4.1, 4.2, or 4.3
providing the minor device numbers for the LV's in the rootvg are
consecutive

ls -l /dev |sort -n +4 |pg

find the entery for rootvg

and check that all the other enteries in the group with the same major
number for a complete list with no missing numbers.
--
J. David Rye
http://www.roadrunner.uk.com

1. Restoring mksysb insists on restoring mirrors.

Prior to AIX 4.1.5, restoring a savevg or mksysb would not restore mirrors.
This was great, because I could break mirrors and load a backup onto a few of
the disk to run some experiments (e.g. Y2K testing) without wiping the working
system.  When adding a new disk that requires a larger PP size, I could
restore the system onto the new big disk (without wiping out the old system),
then add the old disk to the VG when I was satisfied that everything was
working properly.

Now in 4.1.5, AIX is "fixed" so that it insists on restoring mirror copies.
This would save me a little bit of typing if I was restoring a backup onto the
same disk configuration.  However, it means I am dead in the water if I am
trying to replace, for example, two disks with 1 large disk!  I cannot find
any options on the bootable backup to turn this %^$&*$^#&* feature off!  This
has caused me endless grief and needlessly endangered data during Y2K testing
(which requires 4.1.5) until I could figure out a workaround.

As a workaround, I use a script like this to make backups:

mkszfile
ed /image.data <<EOF
g/COPIES= 2/ s/2/1/
EOF
mksysb /dev/rmt0

This means that at least I can use the backups even if the disk configuration
isn't the same.  However, it would be nice to be able to leave the mirroring
information in the backup - because it *would* be convenient not to have to
remirror everything manually after a restore.  It's just that there has to be
a way to *turn it off*.

Am I missing some hidden option on the bootable tape menus?  The situation
seems to be the same for AIX 4.2.1.

--

Business Management Systems Inc.  Phone: 703 591-0911 Fax: 703 591-6154
 "Microsoft is the QWERTY of Operating Systems" - SDG

2. LILO = Nppt - How to boot hdb?

3. invalid disk error while restoring mksysb

4. Wireless vs. cable connection

5. c31 error when restoring mksysb tape

6. dtpad and umask

7. HELP: How to restore an mksysb on a 43 P machine

8. Max throughput of Ethernet

9. URGENT HELP !!!!, Cant restore mksysb.

10. AIX MKSYSB RESTORE HELP--URGENT

11. extendvg error

12. problems restoring mksysb tape

13. mksysb tape restore question