LVM...am I doing this right?

Post by Mike Wyat » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

I'm currently hacking on a 43p-133 that I got at the flea market.  I have
4.3.2. Installed, on it, and am scratching my head over the following
questions...

When I increase the size of an LV, I've been giving it space through the
Volumes manager icon-thingy in the volumes administration section of the
graphics interface, then doing some quick calculations with my vintage HP
15-C to figure out may 512K blocks that equals, then go into smit and give
the filesystem that I enlarged that many more blocks (forgive the Netware
speak if I'm using the wrong terminology here).  It works, but
it seems pretty awkward, and I have a feeling that if a seasoned AIX
person looks at this machine they'll tell me that I've been doing
something bass-ackward, and I'll have no recoruse but to sit there, look
stupid, and say something like "heckIdunno".

Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
shoehorn into a machine like this is?  I also stuck  six gig disk drive in
it....any advice on the best way to allocate the space between all these
wacky partitions?  On that topic, when you do the initial install, does it
*always* create those tiny little LV's that you have to enarge immediatly
after installation, or can you configure this during the install?

Thanks much,

Mike

LVM...am I doing this right?

Post by John Newma » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'll answer the second question first, Yes AIX only creates the LV's at
the minimum size for installation. There is one possible way to create
the filesystems with larger sizes, but his is more hassle than it is
worth, and this leads me onto the answer to question 1.

You are choosing the difficult way to increase the size of your LV's /
filesystems. The easiest way to increase filesystems is to use the chfs
command, as it will automatically increase the logical volume
underneath it if necessary.

So to increase /tmp from 32768 512K blocks to 65536 512K blocks do,

chfs -a size=+32768 /tmp              or.......
chfs -a size=65536 /tmp

Now to answer the rest of question 2, if you then want to have
contiguous LV's or make sure that they are not splattered all over the
disk you might want to read up on the reorgvg command, as this will
reorganise a volume group according to the LV placements that you
choose. i.e paging in the middle, /home on the inner-middle etc, etc...

Have fun,

If you have any specific queries drop me an e-mail.

Regards,  John.

Quote:

> I'm currently hacking on a 43p-133 that I got at the flea market.  I
have
> 4.3.2. Installed, on it, and am scratching my head over the following
> questions...

> When I increase the size of an LV, I've been giving it space through
the
> Volumes manager icon-thingy in the volumes administration section of
the
> graphics interface, then doing some quick calculations with my
vintage HP
> 15-C to figure out may 512K blocks that equals, then go into smit and
give
> the filesystem that I enlarged that many more blocks (forgive the
Netware
> speak if I'm using the wrong terminology here).  It works, but
> it seems pretty awkward, and I have a feeling that if a seasoned AIX
> person looks at this machine they'll tell me that I've been doing
> something bass-ackward, and I'll have no recoruse but to sit there,
look
> stupid, and say something like "heckIdunno".

> Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
> shoehorn into a machine like this is?  I also stuck  six gig disk
drive in
> it....any advice on the best way to allocate the space between all
these
> wacky partitions?  On that topic, when you do the initial install,
does it
> *always* create those tiny little LV's that you have to enarge
immediatly
> after installation, or can you configure this during the install?

> Thanks much,

> Mike

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

LVM...am I doing this right?

Post by Matt Willma » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Instead of jumping through those hoops, just enlarge the filesystem.  It will
enlarge the LV it resides on automatically.  I'm not sure what the max memory
size is...but all of our 43P's use 168 pin ECC DIMMS, instead of 72 pin SIMMS.

Matt

> I'm currently hacking on a 43p-133 that I got at the flea market.  I have
> 4.3.2. Installed, on it, and am scratching my head over the following
> questions...

> When I increase the size of an LV, I've been giving it space through the
> Volumes manager icon-thingy in the volumes administration section of the
> graphics interface, then doing some quick calculations with my vintage HP
> 15-C to figure out may 512K blocks that equals, then go into smit and give
> the filesystem that I enlarged that many more blocks (forgive the Netware
> speak if I'm using the wrong terminology here).  It works, but
> it seems pretty awkward, and I have a feeling that if a seasoned AIX
> person looks at this machine they'll tell me that I've been doing
> something bass-ackward, and I'll have no recoruse but to sit there, look
> stupid, and say something like "heckIdunno".

> Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
> shoehorn into a machine like this is?  I also stuck  six gig disk drive in
> it....any advice on the best way to allocate the space between all these
> wacky partitions?  On that topic, when you do the initial install, does it
> *always* create those tiny little LV's that you have to enarge immediatly
> after installation, or can you configure this during the install?

> Thanks much,

> Mike

LVM...am I doing this right?

Post by Norman Levi » Tue, 29 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I'm currently hacking on a 43p-133 that I got at the flea market.  I have
> 4.3.2. Installed, on it, and am scratching my head over the following
> questions...

> When I increase the size of an LV, I've been giving it space through the
> Volumes manager icon-thingy in the volumes administration section of the
> graphics interface, then doing some quick calculations with my vintage HP
> 15-C to figure out may 512K blocks that equals, then go into smit and give
> the filesystem that I enlarged that many more blocks (forgive the Netware
> speak if I'm using the wrong terminology here).

*** while you can enlarge the logical volume first, and then extend the filesystem
into it, you don't have to calculate how many blocks.  All you have to do is
"chfs -a size=+1 /filesystem-name"
and when lvm increases the filesystem by ONE 512 byte block, it will see that it
has a lot of room and automagically extend the filesystem to describe all the
additional space.

HOWEVER, you don't have to enlarge the lv first.  The above chfs command will
add one physical paritition to the lv and then extend the fs into it.

Quote:> It works, but
> it seems pretty awkward, and I have a feeling that if a seasoned AIX
> person looks at this machine they'll tell me that I've been doing
> something bass-ackward, and I'll have no recoruse but to sit there, look
> stupid, and say something like "heckIdunno".

> Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
> shoehorn into a machine like this is?  I also stuck  six gig disk drive in
> it....any advice on the best way to allocate the space between all these
> wacky partitions?  On that topic, when you do the initial install, does it
> *always* create those tiny little LV's that you have to enarge immediatly
> after installation, or can you configure this during the install?

** the standard lvs are
hd4 = /
hd1 = /home
hd3 = /tmp
hd8var = /var
hd2 = /usr
hd6 = page lv
hd8 = log area for AIX's journal filesystems in root volume group.
hd5 = area for bootable kernel (sort of a /boot in linux)

Quote:

--
Norman Levin

LVM...am I doing this right?

.
> Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
> shoehorn into a machine like this is?

The 43p-133 (machine type 6070 or 7248) can use 32MB SIMMs; fully
populated will give you a total of 192MB.

---
Stephen Lee

LVM...am I doing this right?

Post by Leonard Salik » Wed, 01 Mar 2000 04:00:00

: I'm currently hacking on a 43p-133 that I got at the flea market.  I have
: 4.3.2. Installed, on it, and am scratching my head over the following
: questions...

<stuff deleted>

: Also, does anybody know what the max sized 72 MB simm that you can
: shoehorn into a machine like this is?  I also stuck  six gig disk drive in
: it....any advice on the best way to allocate the space between all these
: wacky partitions?  On that topic, when you do the initial install, does it
: *always* create those tiny little LV's that you have to enarge immediatly
: after installation, or can you configure this during the install?

: Thanks much,

: Mike

Max memory in a 7248-133 is (six slots)*(32 MByte simms) = 192 MBytes.

1. Shutdown problems...am I doing it right?

Hello,

  I finally got (RedHat) Linux set up and running, for the most part, on
an
AMD586-133.  However, shutdown is giving me problems.  If I do "shutdown
-h now", all activity stops with the message "INIT: No more processes in
the runlevel" or something like that...no "system halted" or anything
like that.  Of course, when I reboot, I get all sorts of errors about
disks not be unmounted properly, etc etc.

  I did a somewhat minimal install...is it possible I left something
out?  Should I be doing another command before shutdown?

 TIA

2. Ramdisk in Solaris?

3. ipchains filter - am i doing this right? (Sorry)

4. I'm looking for a Sun Solaris 8 admin training guide to buy

5. ipchains filter - am i doing this right?

6. Redhat X installation: configuration utility?

7. RedHat 5.2 dialler - am i doing it right ?

8. HELP!! Don't make me switch to FreeBSD!!!!

9. Am I doing this right?

10. SetEnvIf-Am I doing this right?

12. Am I touchy? Or am I right?