Mirroring Rootvg and not enough PP's

Post by news.netnet.ne » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I am adding a 9.1GB disk to our 240  (AIX 4.2.1) which currently has a 4GB
rootvg drive.  I wish to do mirroring of rootvg.  (I only wish to use 4GB of
the new 9GB drive)

When I do the: extendvg rootvg hdisk1
The system won't let me because it says the pp size is to small and would go
over the 1016 limit.
Is there a way I can either force the system to only use 4GB of the 9GB
drive so the 1016 limit is okay?  Or how do I have to get around this?  How
can I increase the pp size of the rootvg?

Thanks,
Brian Jones
System Manager
Management Concepts

Mirroring Rootvg and not enough PP's

Post by Ram Pandi » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Brian,

At 4.2.1 a 9.1G drive cannot be added to the rootvg that is made with
a partition size of 4M.  You will need to reinstall the mksysb with
both the disks as the target rootvg to get a bigger partition size.

At 4.3 you can change the limit of 1016 partitions per disk to an
integral multiple (chvg -t, check man page) and then include a bigger disk.

Ram

|> I am adding a 9.1GB disk to our 240  (AIX 4.2.1) which currently has a 4GB
|> rootvg drive.  I wish to do mirroring of rootvg.  (I only wish to use 4GB of
|> the new 9GB drive)
|>
|> When I do the: extendvg rootvg hdisk1
|> The system won't let me because it says the pp size is to small and would go
|> over the 1016 limit.
|> Is there a way I can either force the system to only use 4GB of the 9GB
|> drive so the 1016 limit is okay?  Or how do I have to get around this?  How
|> can I increase the pp size of the rootvg?
|>
|> Thanks,
|> Brian Jones
|> System Manager
|> Management Concepts

My views are mine, not IBMs.

Post by Norman Levi » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

> I am adding a 9.1GB disk to our 240  (AIX 4.2.1) which currently has a 4GB
> rootvg drive.  I wish to do mirroring of rootvg.  (I only wish to use 4GB of
> the new 9GB drive)

> When I do the: extendvg rootvg hdisk1
> The system won't let me because it says the pp size is to small and would go
> over the 1016 limit.
> Is there a way I can either force the system to only use 4GB of the 9GB
> drive so the 1016 limit is okay?  Or how do I have to get around this?  How
> can I increase the pp size of the rootvg?

*** 2 ways.  Backup with mksysb and restore to the larger disk.  The PP size
will be adjusted upwards.
*** upgrade to 4.3.2.  You will be able to use the chvg command.
For example,  'chvg -t3 rootvg' will up the number of partition that are tracked
from 1016 to 3048.  That, times 4m pp size = 12gig  which is enough to also
handle you new 9gig disk
--
-------------
Norman Levin  - VM/dynAmIX inc

1. PP size problem in rootvg for mirror

Hi,

I have an H50 with AIX 4.3.  My hdisk0 in rootvg is a 4.5 GB disk with
PP size of 8MB which gives 537 PP total.  All my other disks are 9.1 GB.
 I would like to mirror hdisk0 to hdisk1.   PP size is fixed for volume
group, so hdisk1 will have the same 8MB PP size, which means that some
of the space will be lost according to the 1016 upper limit for maximum
PPs in a volume group.  I see two ways to go, one is to create another
vg, export rootvg to it, modify the bootlist, boot from the other vg and
fix original rootvg's PP size.  I am not suer if AIX will boot from a vg
not named as rootvg.  The other way is that re-install AIX, which I
never did before.

Any good recommendation ?
Thanks ahead,
Jnos

2. Need help / Kernel 2.4.7 hangs at parport detection.

3. ``Not enough memory'' -- 320 Megs not enough???

4. POP client??

5. add pv to rootvg,but pp size not compatible?

6. Solaris versions and performance information (+slow Oracle + high WAIT I/O)

7. Changing rootvg's PP size

8. "Boot in level 3"

9. About mirror rootvg and the contents in the rootvg automatically synchronize

10. descriptor file not large enough to add another drive to rootvg

11. Converting PP size on rootvg

12. How to remove a hdisk which is not belong to rootvg but has a rootvg label

13. How could i change the PP-size in the rootvg?