bootpd messages

Post by Francisco Franc » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi Folks,

I'm running into a problem where, I'm getting the following error
message:

logmsg: pri 35, flags 0, from snithers, msg Oct 24 14:50:56 bootpd
[14340]:hardware address not found:  00008102378C.
Logging to UNUSED
readfs = 0x2018

I get the above messages every 3 seconds or so.  I've checked my
/etc/bootptab and have not found any references to that hardware
address.  I've come to the conclusion that some machine/printer is
trying to use my host as a bootpd host.  Am I wrong, is this more
serious?

I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

BTW, I'm running AIX 3.2.5 and it's serving some xstations and some
network printers.
--

Ontario Hydro                   tel:    (416) 592-9477
700 University Ave              fax:    (416)

bootpd messages

Post by Ed Rav » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'm running into a problem where, I'm getting the following error
>message:

>[14340]:hardware address not found:  00008102378C.

>I've come to the conclusion that some machine/printer is
>trying to use my host as a bootpd host.  Am I wrong, is this more
>serious?

You're only slightly wrong -- the BOOTP protocol starts out with a
broadcast, so the machine/printer/whatever on the network is not
looking just for your host, but any host on the network willing to
supply bootup info.

The first three bytes of an Ethernet hardware address are the "vendor
code" -- in your case, 000081 means Synoptics.  Look for a Synoptics
box that isn't feeling well (or might be working fine except that
it can't be managed via SNMP or telnet).
--
Ed Ravin        |If I were not a little mad and generally silly

                |I should show you in a moment how to grapple with the question
+1 212 678 5545 |And you'd really be astonished at the force of my suggestion.

bootpd messages

Post by Tony Ga » Fri, 08 Nov 1996 04:00:00

|> Hi Folks,
|>
|> I'm running into a problem where, I'm getting the following error
|> message:
|>
|> logmsg: pri 35, flags 0, from snithers, msg Oct 24 14:50:56 bootpd
|> [14340]:hardware address not found:  00008102378C.
|> Logging to UNUSED
|> readfs = 0x2018
|>

|> I get the above messages every 3 seconds or so.  I've checked my
|> /etc/bootptab and have not found any references to that hardware
|> address.  I've come to the conclusion that some machine/printer is
|> trying to use my host as a bootpd host.  Am I wrong, is this more
|> serious?
|>
|> I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
|>
|> BTW, I'm running AIX 3.2.5 and it's serving some xstations and some
|> network printers.

Well, although you can set some bootp implementations to only accept replies
from certain bootp servers, they do not target a particular system.  They
just broadcast a request.  The biggest culprit in our company is Novell
print cards that also do IP, but are not being used for IP.  They almost
never have their bootp requests disabled.  I had to modify my 3.2.5 DHCP
server code to only print out those messages in debug to save my syslog
space.
--

Tony Gast                       (606)344-4528x4667
Square D Co.

bootpd messages

Post by Christoph Rim » Sun, 10 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Hello

> [...]                               I had
> to modify my 3.2.5 DHCP server code to only print out those messages
> in debug to save my syslog space.

Where can I find this DHCP server for AIX 3.2.5 ?
In our version we have the bootp server, but no DHCP.

And more, the bootp server code appears not to run very well,
if we want it to provide more than the few standard values,
but some vendor-specific extensions (software license numbers
and authorisation key numbers).

So, what do I do wrong with the AIX 3.2.5 bootp server or, better,
where can I find that DHCP server for 3.2.5 ?

-cr
--

1. Bootpd Messages

Hi All.

    I run SuSE linux 6.4, with very few problems, however at 09:20 this
morning I started to get the following message in /var/log/messages:

Oct 17 11:32:58 dataproc bootpd[22363]: bad addr len from from Ethernet
address 52:41:53:20:00:78
Oct 17 11:34:41 dataproc last message repeated 3 times

And it keeps comming.

I have been looking for the Mac Addr in question with no sucsess, can't find
it in the arp table, ifconfig turns up nothing either. On the netware side,
userlist also fails to find the address.

Anyone had a similar situation? Any suggestions on how to fix this would be
most welcome.

Regards,
Robert Urquhart.

2. New or Revised TAs on websco, 951214

3. bootpd messages running Jetadmin

4. how to install with makefile ?

5. removing bootpd messages

6. 250 mb Zip drive

7. ftp logging with syslogd. how can I turn off bootpd messages

8. How to get tcp port numbers on Solaris 8/9

9. bootpd for Solaris 2.x -- bootpd.c source problem?

10. how do I stop bootpd from sending messages to syslog

11. bootpd error messages on console

12. bootpd error messages

13. bootpd references in /var/adm/messages