Ultra-Wide SCSI on fast/wide SCSI 2 adapter

Ultra-Wide SCSI on fast/wide SCSI 2 adapter

Post by Gerhard Schneide » Wed, 25 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: I would like to install an IBM DDRS34560W disk drive (Ultra-wide scsi)
: on an IBM RISC6000 43P/140 workstation.
: The manual says that I need an optional adapter for any Ultra scsi drive,
: but the Ddrs34560 documentation says that it is backward compatible
: to fast/wide scsi 2 ...

: Who is right ? Can I install the new drive ?

Yes. You can. And it's a good idea..

I'm running Cheetah Ultra2 disks on a 595 with only fast/wide because IBM in
it's everlasting wisdom decided not to produce UltraWide or Ultra2 SCSI
adapters for Microchannel hardware..

Ultra2 and UltraWide CAN RUN on FastWide adapters. You don't get the bus
performance boost, but for a single drive it's enough, and you get the
access time boost..

                                           Gerhard Schneider

--

Institute of Light Weight Structures (E317)     Tel.:   +43 1 58801 31716
Vienna University of Technology / Austria       Fax:    +43 1 58801 31799

1. AIX 4.3.1, IBM 6208 Fast Wide SCSI, Seagate Ultra Wide 9.1 Gb drive?

Hello list!!

I am a technician for a company called Procom Technology.  We are resellers
of hardrives and I am having a tough time with a tricky AIX problem.  If

as I am not on the mailing list.  The situation I have is that a customer
has bought  a Seagate ST19171W from my company with the guarantee that it
would work in their system (described above).  From what I can tell over
the phone (ESP) is that the SCSI controller is configured correctly in the
system and is functioning correctly.  However, contrary to my experience
(with other OSes) AIX detecting the SCSI card does not impy that the
hardrive will be detected.  I need to find out if it is possible to
configure a non-IBM signature drive in AIX?  If it is, how is it done.  All
customer is flipping out!).

Many Thanks!

Keehan Mallon
Procom Tech Support

2. tcsendbreak() in Linux

3. Fast and Wide Followup (Fast wide SCSI drivers, anyone?)

4. removing

5. hp fast wide --> ultra fast wide

6. Linux Users Prince George B.C. Canada

7. RedHat 4.2 CD, SIIG Ultra SCSI, Seagate Fast Wide 4.3G SCSI HD

8. Slackware Modem Problems

9. Ultra2 SCSI drive on Wide Ultra SCSI adapter - help?

10. SCSI, SCSI-2, Wide/Ultra, etc SCSI????

11. question about fast wide and fast wide diff drives

12. Help: Ultra wide SCSI and Differential SCSI

13. Fast Wide SCSI host adaptors