How to convert 32 bit application

Post by Rizwan Abbas » Fri, 30 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello all,
One of our customer has purchased S7A recently with AIx 4.3.2 but all of
their application is wriiten in C++ program no 5765-421, now if he want
to take full advantage of S7A should customer just recompile his
apllication using a 64 bit compiler i.e 5765-D52 or c64 compiler or he
has to rewrite all the application? (pls forgive me if this Question
looks silly as I am not a C expert). Thanks

Rizwan

  abbasi2.vcf
< 1K Download

How to convert 32 bit application

Post by Joe Alle » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Rizwan, keeping in mind that I'm a USER of AIX, not a developer of it,
I'd suggest that programs built for 32 bit AIX will run fine on the new
machine, but with only 32 bit addressing.  If the customer has need of
the larger address values, the code will have to be rebuilt with a 64
bit compiler.  In general, a "rewrite" shouldn't be necessary, but that
depends on the code.  For example, if the code assumes that int's and
long's are the same size, there will be some problems -- things like
that can cause trouble.  I've been through it - it's not painless, but
it's not the end of the world, either!!

--
Joe Allen - Speaking Only for Myself!

1. using a 32 bit so from a 64 bit application.

hello everybody.

i have an application that is compiled as a 64 bit app (my app must
run as a 64 bit app, compiling it as a 32 bit app is not an option).
i have got an so file from a thired party that is only availble as a
32 bit, it exports some functions that i would like to use in my app.

my question : is there a way for me to run this functions from my app
?

tx.
hagai.

2. Trying to install the X server...

3. rss and vsz for 64-bit application from 32-bit program

4. Newbie Question

5. Is there any workaround for 64-bits application that runs slower than its 32-bits.

6. HELP with using 286 as dumb terminal

7. Performace on 32-bits applications running on 64-bit kernel

8. need serial console connection to x86 box

9. Solaris 9 installed with 32 & 64 bit supports but boots in 32 bit mode

10. converting code with huge pointers to 32 bit

11. Kernel Statistics in 32-bit Applications

12. Porting applications from 32 to 64 bits

13. Compiling 32 bit applications on Solaris 8 using cc or gcc