RS 6000 320

Post by Stephen J. Thompso » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have been given an RS6000 model 320 buth with no OS. I was wondering
what OS, I need (AIX 3, 4 for which processor etc) and where I can
obtain a copy cheap.

Thanks,

Stephen.

RS 6000 320

Post by Darth Phi » Wed, 05 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Order straight from IBM,
>I got mine AIX 4.3.3 from IBM for $50.00 ( yes fifty bucks)
>for one-two users licenses.
>Not too bad I might say........

It cost me about $1000 (Can).  And that was for 4.3.2.  Nice
OS though.  Money well spent.

c.

RS 6000 320

Post by Leonard Salik » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

:> I have been given an RS6000 model 320 buth with no OS. I was wondering
:> what OS, I need (AIX 3, 4 for which processor etc) and where I can
:> obtain a copy cheap.
:>
:> Thanks,
:>
:> Stephen.

: Order straight from IBM,
: I got mine AIX 4.3.3 from IBM for $50.00 ( yes fifty bucks)
: for one-two users licenses.
: Not too bad I might say........

: It should work, I don't see why not.

: CHF

An RS/6000 Model 320 will very possibly have graphics cards for which
there are no longer supported device drivers in AIX V4.  Do some
research about how much disk space and RAM memory you have, too,
before investing your cash in an OS.

RS 6000 320

Post by Michael Wojc » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> :> I have been given an RS6000 model 320 buth with no OS. I was wondering
> :> what OS, I need (AIX 3, 4 for which processor etc) and where I can
> :> obtain a copy cheap.
> : Order straight from IBM,
> : I got mine AIX 4.3.3 from IBM for $50.00 ( yes fifty bucks)
> : for one-two users licenses.
> : Not too bad I might say........
> : It should work, I don't see why not.
> An RS/6000 Model 320 will very possibly have graphics cards for which
> there are no longer supported device drivers in AIX V4.  Do some
> research about how much disk space and RAM memory you have, too,
> before investing your cash in an OS.

Well, the Skyway is still supported.  I think that was the only single-
board adapter for the RIOS machines (weren't Sabine, Pedernales, et
al. two cards cabled together?), so if your graphics card is only one
board, it should be OK.

There have been various threads on using 320s and other RIOS boxes
with newer versions of AIX in c.u.a; I'd suggest the original poster
take a quick trip to deja.com to review them, particularly for the
discussions of what performance will be like.  Whether a 320 is
still useful as a workstation is somewhat subjective.  I still use
mine, but I wouldn't want to shell out much cash for the OS, except
possibly for archival reasons.

--

AAI Development, MERANT                 (block capitals are a company mandate)
Department of English, Miami University

Do we have boyfriends?  We are interested in delicious food and sweets.
And tiny animals like the cat.   -- Naoko Yamano

RS 6000 320

Post by Tex Chalemi » Sun, 09 Jan 2000 04:00:00

IBM's announcement letters are available at www.ibmlink.ibm.com.  These are for all IBM
products
not just RS/6000 or AIX related.  There is a search mechanism by search words or by dates but
keep
in mind that many IBM announcements refer to other IBM products so you should expect many
hits
if you just search on, say, "AIX 4".  The archive goes all the way back to 1983.

By the way, I find it curious that you have a 320 w/o AIX installed.  I thought all 320's
shipped
with a copy of AIX (v3.1).   Did someone replace the drives in the system with empty drives
before you got the system ?

Glen "Tex" Chalemin

> > :> I have been given an RS6000 model 320 buth with no OS. I was wondering
> > :> what OS, I need (AIX 3, 4 for which processor etc) and where I can
> > :> obtain a copy cheap.

> > : Order straight from IBM,
> > : I got mine AIX 4.3.3 from IBM for $50.00 ( yes fifty bucks)
> > : for one-two users licenses.
> > : Not too bad I might say........

> > : It should work, I don't see why not.

> > An RS/6000 Model 320 will very possibly have graphics cards for which
> > there are no longer supported device drivers in AIX V4.  Do some
> > research about how much disk space and RAM memory you have, too,
> > before investing your cash in an OS.

> Well, the Skyway is still supported.  I think that was the only single-
> board adapter for the RIOS machines (weren't Sabine, Pedernales, et
> al. two cards cabled together?), so if your graphics card is only one
> board, it should be OK.

> There have been various threads on using 320s and other RIOS boxes
> with newer versions of AIX in c.u.a; I'd suggest the original poster
> take a quick trip to deja.com to review them, particularly for the
> discussions of what performance will be like.  Whether a 320 is
> still useful as a workstation is somewhat subjective.  I still use
> mine, but I wouldn't want to shell out much cash for the OS, except
> possibly for archival reasons.

> --

> AAI Development, MERANT                 (block capitals are a company mandate)
> Department of English, Miami University

> Do we have boyfriends?  We are interested in delicious food and sweets.
> And tiny animals like the cat.   -- Naoko Yamano

1. The RS/6000 320 as a Xserver with 3 clients

 We are thinking of purchasing a RS/6000 (320) to use as a personal
workstation as well as supporting 3 X-terminals. I was wondering
how a 320 performs in this situation. Another alternative is to buy
4 SLC's.

 Does anybody have any tales to tell about a RS/6000 as a X-server,
horror stories, stories of great performance, or whatever? Would
you go for the 4 SLC's (or something similar) instead ?

thanks
gord u.

---------------------
Gord Urquhart -- Tech Support
University Computing Systems
University of Alberta

2. java exception when running a java program sending SNMP traps

3. ISO: Oddball serial cable for RS/6000 320

4. promise controller bios?

5. Linux on a RS/6000 320 and/or 350

6. How do i install Netscape?

7. am losing console on RS/6000-320