FTP - Default rights

Post by Greg Jaco » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Is there a way to set default file rights when a user FTPs into the AIX box,
and puts a file?

Thanks,

FTP - Default rights

Post by H?kan Rissane » Sat, 05 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
Yes ther's a way to change the default file permissions in ftp.
Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf
ftp     stream  tcp6    nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd         ftpd -u 022
the -u 022 sets default rights to 755.

refresh -s inetd
or reboot

//H?kanen

--
H?kan Rissanen IWSC
9740 Scranton Rd Suite 300

FTP - Default rights

Post by Sanchia Bak » Wed, 09 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Greg wrote : -

Quote:> Is there a way to set default file rights when a user FTPs into the AIX box,
>and puts a file?

edit the file /etc/inetd.conf and search for the line ftpd.
At the end of the line append so that it looks like : -

ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/ftpd         ftpd -u OCTVAL

Where -u = umask value & OCTVAL is the octal umask value . The default is 027 which is equal to rw-r----- permissions.
Then either refresh the inetd daemon with : -

refresh -s inetd or just the ftpd daemon with refresh -t ftpd.

Hope this helps

Sanchia
Disclaimer: my opinions are my own

1. I want FTP default to be -rwxrwxrwx files, NOT system default like -rw-rw-rw- files !

Hi,

I am a "rookie" HP-UNIX  Sys Adminstrator.

I want FTP to be default at -rwxrwxrwx for all files.  I don't want the
system default like -rw-rw-rw- or whatever.

I tried "umask" in the profile file (setting umask to 0) and I got the
system default mode like -rw-rw-rw-.  I tried the ftpd command in the
"inetd.conf" configuration file and I still got the system default.  How can
I "bypass" this system default ?  What does the system default come from ?
I really hope it's possible.

Let you know that I am not interested in "anonymous" FTP.

Any recommedation or suggestion ?

Thank you,
John

2. "Shutdown" user (was Rerstrincting su to user)

3. "write failed file system full " during install

4. Sendmail: send mail right-away by default?

5. Need bootdisk image for NEC 4X IDE CDROM

6. How to change the default shell csh->bash (not with administrator rights)?

7. Q: Can not build PHP/FI with mSQL support - what's the problem ?

8. Changing default rights in home dirs?

9. Default rights?

10. How to set up default file and directory right for all user access ?

11. HOW DO I SET USER DEFAULT FILE CREATION RIGHTS

12. Sendmail: sendmail right-away by default?