differences between 9013 and 9005 (plus some impressions)

differences between 9013 and 9005 (plus some impressions)

Post by Geoff Colem » Wed, 09 May 1990 02:32:14

        Could someone out there please summarize the differences between
the 9013 and 9005 loads? I'm wondering wether I should spend more time
working around "features" of AIX or if they are changed (fixed) in the new
load. One thing I have hit a roadblock on is getting a bidirectional
uucp line to work. If anyone else out there has managed this could you
please drop me a line as to how to do it. As well changing the speed line
in /etc/ports to 19200 seems to have no effect. Is there something else
that has to be changed to change the speed for a getty.

        Overall I'm quite pleased with the 6000. I've moved over cnews,
and vn with no problem (except that cron setup is brain dead). I
moved over smail 3.1 with only a few problems (awk doesn't like "if ( !dummy )
and if a string is defined as char *dummy="string" it segment violates if you
try to change a charter in dummy). We have our PROGRESS applications moved over
and they run great.

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

Post by Doug Cart » Wed, 16 May 1990 15:05:48

>    Could someone out there please summarize the differences between
>the 9013 and 9005 loads? I'm wondering wether I should spend more time
>working around "features" of AIX or if they are changed (fixed) in the new
>load.
>      [ deleted stuff... ]

The big things fixed for me was csh (yes, csh scripts now run), smit and some
X stuff. In addition, the PC simulator is now running.

There is really no comparison between the two builds. It's well worth the time
to upgrade.

1. followup to differences between 9013 and 9005

->>>
->>>   Could someone out there please summarize the differences between
->>>the 9013 and 9005 loads? I'm wondering wether I should spend more time
->>>working around "features" of AIX or if they are changed (fixed) in the new
->>>load.
->>>      [ deleted stuff... ]
->>
->> The big things fixed for me was csh (yes, csh scripts now run), smit and some
->> X stuff. In addition, the PC simulator is now running.
->>
->> There is really no comparison between the two builds. It's well worth the time
->> to upgrade.

        We would gladly if two things would happen. First of all if the local
IBM office would get a load newer than 9005K1. THe second is that someone
at IBM told me that the Object File Format has changed from 9005 and since
we are dependent on having PROGRESS run and since PROGRESS have told us that
they are tired of hitting a moving target we have to wait for a GA operating
system before PROGRESS will port their code again.
        In the mean time I'm waiting for a second 6000 box but I want to know
if I should bother with trying to port more code like KERMIT or should just
wait for a new compiler which doesn't fail horribly on it (fatal error in
xlcentry).

Geoff Coleman
Unexsys Systems

->>
->>
->>
->>

2. Apache 1.2.1 and <!DOCTYPE ...

3. what does 9013 have that 9005 lacks

4. how to secure a directory ?

5. Linuxant and Broadcom Wireless on an HP NX-9005

6. DIY Embedded Linux Hardware

7. AIX 9013 & pcsim

8. Boot broken, no ramdisk or hd w/PCI video

9. -- XFree for Matrox Impression Plus? --

10. Matrox Impression Plus

11. I have an Impression 7 Plus Monitor but...

12. matrox impression plus w/ 2Mb VRAM- HELP?

13. Matrox MGA Impression Plus (2Mb)Config problem