Per-process/per-system File Descriptor Limits?

Per-process/per-system File Descriptor Limits?

Post by Doug Barn » Sun, 08 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I apologize in advance for my really retarded question; I've
checked the FAQ, looked at the online info, checked out
various options under SMIT, etc. It's also been years and
years since I've touched an AIX box, and now it's suddenly
an issue.

What are the default limits on per-process and system-wide
open file descriptors? How does one change them? The system
that I'm using seems to have about 2K descriptors per process
(which is more than enough), but I don't know if it came that
way out of the box, or if things were somehow tweaked to be
that way.

Thanks in advance,

Douglas Barnes
C2Net

Post by Tom Weav » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>What are the default limits on per-process and system-wide
>open file descriptors? How does one change them?

limits.h gives the number of open file descriptors per process as

#define OPEN_MAX        2000            /* max num of files that one process*/

The system limit is 200000, but I'm not sure where this is externalized.
--

Per-process/per-system File Descriptor Limits?

Post by Andrew Gier » Mon, 09 Dec 1996 04:00:00

 Doug> I apologize in advance for my really retarded question; I've
 Doug> checked the FAQ, looked at the online info, checked out
 Doug> various options under SMIT, etc. It's also been years and
 Doug> years since I've touched an AIX box, and now it's suddenly
 Doug> an issue.

 Doug> What are the default limits on per-process and system-wide
 Doug> open file descriptors? How does one change them? The system
 Doug> that I'm using seems to have about 2K descriptors per process
 Doug> (which is more than enough), but I don't know if it came that
 Doug> way out of the box, or if things were somehow tweaked to be
 Doug> that way.

For AIX 3.2.5 (dunno about the newer ones)

2000   open descriptors per process (not configurable)
200000 open files per system (not configurable)

--

"Ceterum censeo Microsoftam delendam esse" - Alain Knaff in nanam

1. open files/per-process file descriptor

Hi I hope someone can help a newbie...

I set up Samba 2.2.0 in a SuSE Linux 7.2 dis. with a 2.4.4 Kernel.
Everything works fine. I can access the Samba share from Win2k Win98se
and WinMe. Now I was about testing network performance (Samba and
Novell) and want to start a program from the share. The program tolds
me that it could not open more than 255 files and shut down. I've
checked the smb.conf and the default of 10000 open files is set. So
the problem must be with Linux.
Is it perhaps the "per-process file descriptor" I have to change? How
can I change it. Is there another way or another fault perhaps?
Thank you
Mark

www.xsys.org
www.markus-bender.com

2. Solstice X.25

3. Setting File Descriptors Per Process Limit

4. X86 on Compaq Proliant. No Driver for SCSI!!!!!!!

5. Is there a limit of 64K file descriptors per process?

6. cannot boot my workstation

7. How to limit cpu time per process per user account

8. UUCP Security

9. Per-user File Descriptor Limit

10. File Descriptors per Process and Cyrix 6x86 CPU Questions...

11. max file descriptor number per process in solaris2.7

12. >256 file descriptors per process?