Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Post by Jonathan Jud » Thu, 02 Nov 2000 22:55:57

The documentation available at IBM called "AIX Version 4.X Migration"
(found via http://techsupport.services.ibm.com, and after registration
!?), seems to imply I cannot trust that neither installed software, nor
any user data will remain intact when I migrate :

Section :  " About this Document
  * most non-IBM applications will remain installed
  ... "

and

Section : " Running the Migration
  * Preservation (contents of /usr,/,/var, and tmp will be deleted ;
    only /home and any user created logical volumes will be preserved)
  ... "

Wait,  wait ...  you're telling me that /usr gets wiped ??
And I have to re-install everything ??

I hope I have misunderstood ...

What is the truth,  however ugly it may be ?

Jonathan

Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Post by Seán Brenna » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 00:39:28

Johnathan,

There are basically 3 types of install -
OVERWRITE, PRESERVATION and MIGRATION.
You should concentrate on the MIGRATION option if you wish to preserve your
oem software (BTW this is
usually stored in /usr/local).  I suspect the documentation is using
PRESERVATION install as an example.

Rgrds
Sean

Quote:

> The documentation available at IBM called "AIX Version 4.X Migration"
> (found via http://techsupport.services.ibm.com, and after registration
> !?), seems to imply I cannot trust that neither installed software, nor
> any user data will remain intact when I migrate :

> Section :  " About this Document
>   * most non-IBM applications will remain installed
>   ... "

> and

> Section : " Running the Migration
>   * Preservation (contents of /usr,/,/var, and tmp will be deleted ;
>     only /home and any user created logical volumes will be preserved)
>   ... "

> Wait,  wait ...  you're telling me that /usr gets wiped ??
> And I have to re-install everything ??

> I hope I have misunderstood ...

> What is the truth,  however ugly it may be ?

> Jonathan

Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Post by Jonathan Jud » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 01:44:37

Hi sean,

The Migration part of the document is not too encouraging.
Right after the Preserve item one gets :

" ...
  *Migration  ... *attempts* to preserve the existing system
configuration ... "

Only *attempts* ?

Are there pitfalls of which I must beware ? Like for example,
what happens if I select that certain base system configuration files
not be merged into the system ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,

Jonathan

> Johnathan,

> There are basically 3 types of install -
> OVERWRITE, PRESERVATION and MIGRATION.
> You should concentrate on the MIGRATION option if you wish to preserve your
> oem software (BTW this is
> usually stored in /usr/local).  I suspect the documentation is using
> PRESERVATION install as an example.

> Rgrds
> Sean

> > The documentation available at IBM called "AIX Version 4.X Migration"
> > (found via http://techsupport.services.ibm.com, and after registration
> > !?), seems to imply I cannot trust that neither installed software, nor
> > any user data will remain intact when I migrate :

> > Section :  " About this Document
> >   * most non-IBM applications will remain installed
> >   ... "

> > and

> > Section : " Running the Migration
> >   * Preservation (contents of /usr,/,/var, and tmp will be deleted ;
> >     only /home and any user created logical volumes will be preserved)
> >   ... "

> > Wait,  wait ...  you're telling me that /usr gets wiped ??
> > And I have to re-install everything ??

> > I hope I have misunderstood ...

> > What is the truth,  however ugly it may be ?

> > Jonathan

Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Post by Bill Pembert » Fri, 03 Nov 2000 06:06:06

Quote:

>Section :  " About this Document
>  * most non-IBM applications will remain installed
>  ... "

>and

>Section : " Running the Migration
>  * Preservation (contents of /usr,/,/var, and tmp will be deleted ;
>    only /home and any user created logical volumes will be preserved)
>  ... "

>Wait,  wait ...  you're telling me that /usr gets wiped ??
>And I have to re-install everything ??

>I hope I have misunderstood ...

>What is the truth,  however ugly it may be ?

For a "Preservation" install, yes, all of /usr will be nuked.

I use a Preservation install in the cases where I've got a extra
filesystem in the rootvg that I need to keep.  Otherwise I use an
upgrade procedure that uses the complete overwrite.  I haven't tried a
migration in a while, but in the past I had always been unhappy with
the results (however, our AIX installs have a fair amount of changes,
so I'm not surprised that migration can't deal with it).

--
Bill

Migrating to AIX 4.3.3 : What gets overwritten/deleted ?

Post by Jason Grov » Mon, 06 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Well, there are a couple of things that could have happened,

1. Some how the print queue has downed it self. You can try to "enable"
the queue by using the command on the client machines and the server:
 enable queue-name

I.E. enable hp5si

2. From the error messages, it looks as though you might have tried to
delete the queue as a user and not as root. (I have done this once and
got the same problem.). Basicly the virtual printers database gets out
of wack, and thinks that the printer exists when it doesn't. To fix it
do this:

correspond to that printer.

correspnd to that printer.

then run this shell script:
--Begin Shell Script--
#!/bin/ksh

for file in `ls`
do
        QNAME=`echo $file | cut -d':' -f1`
        DEVICE=`echo $file| cut -d':' -f2`
        chvirprt -q $QNAME -d $DEVICE
done
--End Shell Script--

This will rebuild the stuff. And should fix the problem with not being
able to create a print queue. Another thing you may want to look at is
if the main server has the hosts in the /etc/hosts.lpd file..

Hope that helps.

jason

Post by Michael Haense » Tue, 07 Nov 2000 10:40:34

[...]

Post by rmarsh.. » Sun, 19 Nov 2000 15:09:21

A migration will only overwrite /tmp.  A preservation install is a
different type of install.  Just make sure you backup your system before
you do it.  Otherwise I wouldn't worry about it.

> The documentation available at IBM called "AIX Version 4.X Migration"
> (found via http://techsupport.services.ibm.com, and after registration
> !?), seems to imply I cannot trust that neither installed software, nor
> any user data will remain intact when I migrate :

> Section :  " About this Document
>   * most non-IBM applications will remain installed
>   ... "

> and

> Section : " Running the Migration
>   * Preservation (contents of /usr,/,/var, and tmp will be deleted ;
>     only /home and any user created logical volumes will be preserved)
>   ... "

> Wait,  wait ...  you're telling me that /usr gets wiped ??
> And I have to re-install everything ??

> I hope I have misunderstood ...

> What is the truth,  however ugly it may be ?

> Jonathan

1. Overwrite/Preservation, but no migrate

Does anyone know why a system would not offer the option of doing a
"Migration" upgrade? When booted into single user mode, the system
upgrade options offered were only Complete Overwrite or Preservation
Install.
This was on a system that was 4.3.1 that I was taking to 4.3.2. I did
accomplish the upgrade to 4.3.2 by simply doing a "smitty update_all"
but others in my cirlce of experience say they have encountered this same
scenario when upgrading from either 3.2.5 or 4.2.1.
I'm curious to know what triggers the choice of migration vs the other two.

-JAZZ

--
John Jaszczak
Romac International

612-321-4139

2. answering with uugetty?

3. Has anyone ever migrated from AIX 3.2.5 to AIX 4.2?

4. Cleaning up lots of filenames....

5. getting Delete key to DELETE on RS6000

6. Delegate 7.5.2

7. Migrate C++ code from AIX 4.3.3 to AIX 5.2

8. stb velocity 4400

9. File overwrite before delete?

10. Create/read but not delete/overwrite

11. issue.net gets overwritten at boot up

12. PCI memory mapped card : memory gets overwritten

13. HD boot sector gets overwritten