RS6000 370 (AHHG the pain, agony!!!)

Post by alex_sm.. » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a positively lovely RS/6000 370 that I would like to boot from a
cd so I can upgrade the OS.  As the lovely machine is not equipped with
the ever so high tech internal CDROM drive I have attached an external
CDROM drive.  From the current OS I can access the CDROM drive, so I
know that it is working.  How do I get the piece of crap^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
lovely machine to boot from the CDROM.

Any help or 12-gauge ammunition would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Smith

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

RS6000 370 (AHHG the pain, agony!!!)

Post by Bruce Spence » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

I presume you're turning the key to "Service" when attempting to boot off
the
cd?

Also, you might consider running the bosboot command to make sure
the CD is on the boot list.  Check the man page for bosboot syntax.  I
believe the
syntax is something like

bosboot -m service cdrom disk

Quote:> I have a positively lovely RS/6000 370 that I would like to boot from a

Post by Benjamin Gawer » Wed, 10 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a positively lovely RS/6000 370 that I would like to boot from a
> cd so I can upgrade the OS.  As the lovely machine is not equipped with
> the ever so high tech internal CDROM drive I have attached an external
> CDROM drive.  From the current OS I can access the CDROM drive, so I
> know that it is working.  How do I get the piece of crap^H^H^H^H^H^H^H
> lovely machine to boot from the CDROM.

Perhaps with a bootable CDROM? The 370 doesnt boot from every SCSI CDROM,
only original IBM RS/6k-CDROMs, Plextor CDROMs and a few Toshiba CDROMs
are able to boot Your box from the CD...

I had a 6PLEX, and now Im using a UltraPLEX32 on my 320H, boots fine, is
very fast and was brandnew cheaper than a slower 2nd hand IBM drive...

Benjamin

Post by Urban A. Haa » Thu, 11 May 2000 04:00:00

> I presume you're turning the key to "Service" when attempting to boot off
> the
> cd?

Or you could try secure until 200, service and reset so it comes up in system
menu before booting anything. Look and see if you can specify your CDROM
there.

Quote:

--
Urban A. Haas
CEO - Urban Technology, Inc.

Phone: (952) 595-8810    Fax: (952) 595-8710

This e-mail was composed of 100% recycled bits.