Controlling 'Sender' using mailx

Post by Shannon Rya » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Can someone help me please.

I have a script which runs the mailx (or mail) command.  The recipient
of the email gets an email with the account name on our host as the

as the 'Sender'.  I can do this on an HP-UX with the -r option.
e.g

This doesn't work with AIX for some reason.  I have tried changing the
User Information with 'smit' but this doesn't put the information in the
header of the email.  You have to open the email to see this info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Shannon

Controlling 'Sender' using mailx

try using sendmail with the -F flag ...

--
Kurt Kesselaers
Support Engineer Xlock

GET
Time & Security Management Systems
Highway Emergency Call Systems
Antwerpses*weg 107, B-2390 Oostmalle
Tel : +32(0)3/312.92.30  Fax : +32(0)3/311.72.90

Thank you for visiting our website : http://www.veryComputer.com/

Controlling 'Sender' using mailx

Post by imi_.. » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

07/24/2K 12:23PM

Hi Shannon,

Do you need to change the "from/sender" for EACH email to be different

to sendmail.cf (I don't have quick access to it at the moment) that AIX
support gave me such that running mail (I have not run mailx) will
change (for example) AIX user login "account" to email id of "name1". Do
you have a relay or something set up such that you need to change "host"
to "host1"? I'm not sure if the change I could send would do that.

> Can someone help me please.

> I have a script which runs the mailx (or mail) command.  The recipient
> of the email gets an email with the account name on our host as the

appears

--
Todd Andrews

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Controlling 'Sender' using mailx

Post by Jonah Simandjunt » Tue, 25 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Another option is to use mhmail (under bos.mh) instead of mailx. Example:

                                -subject "Whatever" < $FILE

HTH.

--Jonah

1. Email: Difference between 'sender' and 'from'?

I am having some trouble with an automatic email list that I
have subscribed to.  It correctly uses my ISP email address
as the 'from' address, but (I think) may be getting confused
about the 'sender' email address -- it may be using 'root'
(which I use for my Linux sessions) and then appending an
automatic domain corresponding to the email list server.

I would rather *not* stop using my 'root' loginid just for
the sake of this email list, since all my other email works
just fine -- but this new twist confuses me!

Help!

Dare
--
Darren Enns

HTTP:  members.home.net/dmenns

2. 1.2.10 (SCSI?) System lockout

3. From in 'mail' and 'mailx'

4. NT and Linux PPP dialup bps rate questions

5. Wrong sender's return address when using vacation for auto-reply

6. browsers and procmail

7. Can 'sudo' control 'Directory'???

8. How can I change root Partition?

9. Mail being 'returned' to sender (Copy)

10. Solaris 8 'mailx' broken?

11. Wanted: Sources for 'mailx', and multi user chat

12. Embedded 'subject' in mailx

13. mailx getting wrong User in 'from'