Samba

Post by Galstonia » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I have an RS/6000 running AIX4.3 and want to use Samba so that I can back up
a couple of PC's on the same LAN to the tape drive on the AIX box.
I tried using the backup program on W2K and all seemed fine backing up to a
disk partition on the AIX machine (which gets backed up to tape by regular
backups) until it the file size reached 2147452928 when it fell over with an
unknown error code (in W2K).
How can I do this?  smbtar seems to work okay but I am unsure about what
would happen with Windows system files if I tried a restore from from that
tape.

Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Michael

Samba

Post by Klaus Oberl » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 15:53:11

Maybe it's a starting point to check if your AIX-Filesystem is a "Large File
enabled" filesystem. You can do this with "lsfs"-cmd eq.

Name            Nodename   Mount Pt               VFS   Size    Options    Auto
Accounting
/dev/adsmstore  --         /adsmstore             jfs   35520512 rw         yes
no
  (lv size: 35520512, fs size: 35520512, frag size: 4096, nbpi: 4096, compress:
no, bf: true, ag: 64)

Check if "bf" (bigfile) is true or false.

Regards
Klaus

Galstonian schrieb:

Quote:> I have an RS/6000 running AIX4.3 and want to use Samba so that I can back up
> a couple of PC's on the same LAN to the tape drive on the AIX box.
> I tried using the backup program on W2K and all seemed fine backing up to a
> disk partition on the AIX machine (which gets backed up to tape by regular
> backups) until it the file size reached 2147452928 when it fell over with an
> unknown error code (in W2K).
> How can I do this?  smbtar seems to work okay but I am unsure about what
> would happen with Windows system files if I tried a restore from from that
> tape.

> Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

> Michael

Samba

Galstonian schrieb:

Quote:> I have an RS/6000 running AIX4.3 and want to use Samba so that I can back up
> a couple of PC's on the same LAN to the tape drive on the AIX box.
> I tried using the backup program on W2K and all seemed fine backing up to a
> disk partition on the AIX machine (which gets backed up to tape by regular
> backups) until it the file size reached 2147452928 when it fell over with an
> unknown error code (in W2K).
> How can I do this?  smbtar seems to work okay but I am unsure about what
> would happen with Windows system files if I tried a restore from from that
> tape.

> Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

> Michael

Samba

Post by Galstonia » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

The file system is not "large file enabled" which explains the problem.
Having looked at chfs, smit and wsm it seems that this parameter can only be
set at creation time, is that correct?
If not, how do I change a file system to support large files?

Dank im voraus,

Michael

> Maybe it's a starting point to check if your AIX-Filesystem is a "Large
File
> enabled" filesystem. You can do this with "lsfs"-cmd eq.

> Name            Nodename   Mount Pt               VFS   Size    Options
Auto
> Accounting
> /dev/adsmstore  --         /adsmstore             jfs   35520512 rw
yes
> no
>   (lv size: 35520512, fs size: 35520512, frag size: 4096, nbpi: 4096,
compress:
> no, bf: true, ag: 64)

> Check if "bf" (bigfile) is true or false.

> Regards
> Klaus

> Galstonian schrieb:

> > I have an RS/6000 running AIX4.3 and want to use Samba so that I can
back up
> > a couple of PC's on the same LAN to the tape drive on the AIX box.
> > I tried using the backup program on W2K and all seemed fine backing up
to a
> > disk partition on the AIX machine (which gets backed up to tape by
regular
> > backups) until it the file size reached 2147452928 when it fell over
with an
> > unknown error code (in W2K).
> > How can I do this?  smbtar seems to work okay but I am unsure about what
> > would happen with Windows system files if I tried a restore from from
that
> > tape.

> > Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance.

> > Michael

Samba

Post by Klaus Oberl » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Michael,

you cannot change an existing filesystem to support large files. The only way is
to save your data, destroy and recreate it as a "Large File Enabled" fs.

Klaus

Galstonian schrieb:

Quote:> The file system is not "large file enabled" which explains the problem.
> Having looked at chfs, smit and wsm it seems that this parameter can only be
> set at creation time, is that correct?
> If not, how do I change a file system to support large files?

> Dank im voraus,

> Michael

Samba

Post by Galstonia » Sat, 14 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Not the reply I wanted but thankyou!

Michael