Backup Programs

Post by bkoer.. » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

I am the system admin for a company in Jamaica NY, and we are looking for a
backup software solution.  We need one that can make bootable tapes, as well
as backup other volume groups all at once.  If you have used such a product,
or know of one, please respond

Thank

Bob Koertge

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Backup Programs

Post by ArctcCr » Sun, 11 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Sysback

Backup Programs

Post by Peter Bennet » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Sysback is good for single machines with tape drives per machine.
If you have a distributed system with a tape library server, you'd need
to look at something like NetBackup, NetWorker or ADSM.
Pete Bennett

> I am the system admin for a company in Jamaica NY, and we are looking for a
> backup software solution.  We need one that can make bootable tapes, as well
> as backup other volume groups all at once.  If you have used such a product,
> or know of one, please respond

> Thank

> Bob Koertge

Backup Programs

Post by mcmon.. » Tue, 13 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> > I am the system admin for a company in Jamaica NY, and we are
looking for a
> > backup software solution.  We need one that can make bootable
tapes, as well
> > as backup other volume groups all at once.  If you have used such a

product,

I have used tar, Lonetar, and IBM's Sysback.  I really like the IBM
product (Sysback).  And since it is an IBM product I feel more
comfortable with the system tapes it makes etc.  It is a really great
product.

Lonetar also give you a nice interface and does nice job of backing up
and restoring -- but -- its main advatage is that is hooks to base tar
commands -- therefore allowing the tapes to be read from other machines
NOT having Lonetar.  I am not sure it this is possible with Sysback.
ie -- if you backup a single file with Sysback and then send it to
someone they may not be able to restore it without Sysback.  I am not
sure of this -- but -- it is worth checking into.

Frankly I will use Sysback for all of my internal needs and if someone
a tape of something sent to them and they dont have Sysback I will just
whip out some old tar commands.

Mark Monroe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Backup Programs

Post by jffl.. » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Sysback is a good product, but it is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! when you need
to recover something. You have several different requirements according
to your post. A simple and very good solution is to use mksysb once a
week for a disaster recovery bootable tape of the rootvg and then Legato
is an excellent product for day to day backups, the only problem is that
Legato does not make a bootable tape, that is where the mksysb come into
play. If you do not mind it being slowwwwwwwwwwww!!!, then sysback will
meet all of your requirements, plus it will backup raw lvs if you are
backing up databases.
Joe Floyd

> > > I am the system admin for a company in Jamaica NY, and we are
> looking for a
> > > backup software solution.  We need one that can make bootable
> tapes, as well
> > > as backup other volume groups all at once.  If you have used such
> product,

> I have used tar, Lonetar, and IBM's Sysback.  I really like the IBM
> product (Sysback).  And since it is an IBM product I feel more
> comfortable with the system tapes it makes etc.  It is a really great
> product.

> Lonetar also give you a nice interface and does nice job of backing up
> and restoring -- but -- its main advatage is that is hooks to base tar
> commands -- therefore allowing the tapes to be read from other
machines
> NOT having Lonetar.  I am not sure it this is possible with Sysback.
> ie -- if you backup a single file with Sysback and then send it to
> someone they may not be able to restore it without Sysback.  I am not
> sure of this -- but -- it is worth checking into.

> Frankly I will use Sysback for all of my internal needs and if someone
> a tape of something sent to them and they dont have Sysback I will
just
> whip out some old tar commands.

> Mark Monroe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Backup Programs

Post by mcmon.. » Wed, 14 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Sysback is a good product, but it is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! when you
need
> to recover something.

I have to disagree..  I have a 20/40 8mm drive in my machine and it I
consistently gets 300-350meg per minute on both restores and backups.
This is also the advertised performance of the tape drive.

In my experience I have almost always found the backup performance more
closely related to the tape drive being used or whether hardware vs
software compression is being used and NOT the actual software doing
the backup.

Just my .02 anyway...

Mark Monroe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/