Performance Problem with RS6000/350 Network I/F card

Performance Problem with RS6000/350 Network I/F card

Post by Randy Marcha » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 07:41:02

We have an RS6000 model 350 that we have connected to our
ethernet. It has a Type 2-8 ethernet interface which seems
to be a newer version of the rs6000 ethernet interface card.

We see a tremendous performance hit when we ftp files
back and forth. We isolated the two systems by having
a short piece of wire connecting the two machines
with no other traffic and see the same result.

We are running AIX 3.2.3 on both systems. ALso,
it was quite a surprise to discover that in order
to switch between Thick and THin wire on the card
we had to move a jumper on the card instead of
being able to do it via SMIT.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

        -Randy Marchany
        VA Tech Computing Center
        Blacksburg, VA 24060

Post by Stefan A. Muehlenw » Mon, 18 Jan 1993 22:59:05

> We have an RS6000 model 350 that we have connected to our
> ethernet. It has a Type 2-8 ethernet interface which seems
> to be a newer version of the rs6000 ethernet interface card.

> We see a tremendous performance hit when we ftp files
> back and forth. We isolated the two systems by having
> a short piece of wire connecting the two machines
> with no other traffic and see the same result.

> We are running AIX 3.2.3 on both systems. ALso,
> it was quite a surprise to discover that in order
> to switch between Thick and THin wire on the card
> we had to move a jumper on the card instead of
> being able to do it via SMIT.

> Has anyone else run into this problem?

Hi Randy,
I've not the same problem as yours, but I've too some trouble with
RS/6000-350 Ethernet Interface. I've running eight RS/6000's (AIX 3.2.1)
on a Network (there are many Sun's, Apollo's, myVax's and PC's too).
One of the 550 is /usr-Server for most of the other RS/6000 to save disk
space. The last machine I did install, was a 350 with this new
(and ugly) Ethernet Interface. Since I installed this machine as
/usr-client, the 350 is *MOST OF THE TIMES* unable to boot, but
sometimes it will come up --- it's unpredictable. The same behaviour
did happen, when I isolated the server and the 350-client. I've spent many
times together with IBM's software service (about four weeks) but we couldn't
detect the fault.

The workaround we found was to install an ordinary external
Ethernet-Controller as in all other older RS/6000's it's installed.
Since I'm running the 350 with 'en1' as interface and *NOT* 'en0'
everything works fine.

The software hotline from IBM Germany in Mainz did send me now some
PTF's, which *may* correct (but not guaranteed) the behaviour of the internal
Ethernet-Interface of the 350's and 220's. But I did'nt install the
fixes yet; they will need approx. 90 MByte Disk Space in /usr of the
Disk at the /usr-Server :-((( I'm in need to install a new HD to
increase the volume-size at the Server-550.

In the last week I did install a new 350 (AIX 3.2.3) on the same
physical, but on another logical network. It's configured as standalone machine
and works very well and all the network traffic (to/from all other machines)
runs very fast.

But I think, the best for you is, try to get a second --- ordinary ---
ethernet-interface from your IBM-Service-Office.

Stefan

 ---

 D-W-2000 Hamburg 73, Liliencronstr. 6,     Phone: +49 (40) 6 77 60 97