TCP/IP and token-ring adapters

Post by mitch gorm » Wed, 15 Jan 1992 06:28:17

        Hi, gang.  We're having a bit of trouble getting our token ring cards
configured as network interfaces.  We've got two cards in each of our two
RS6ks, and when we try to do the 'minimal configuration and startup' of
TCP/IP, we get error messages like the following:

Method error (/etc/network/chgif):
        0514-063 Cause not known.
ifconfig:  error calling entry point for /etc/network/if_tr:  I/O error
0821-103:  The command /etc/ifconfig tr0 inet 128.0.1.55 up failed
0821-229 chgif:  ifconfig command failed.
The status of "tr0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.

/usr/bin/mktcpip: Problem with chdev command, return code = 1

        This sort of nonsense is starting to get on my nerves.  I tried to do
the setup thru smit, and when that failed, fell back on my SunOs knowlege
(what little there is of THAT), and tried to do it manually.  (I know, that
doesn't get into ODM; I just wanted to see it _work_!)  Still no luck.

        I have a couple of IBM SE's who've also looked into the problem and
gotten the same errors that I have - could this be hardware, software
installation, or what?

        Your help is, as always, mandatory!

        =)

        Mitch

Post by Eliot Wils » Thu, 16 Jan 1992 01:44:30

>        Hi, gang.  We're having a bit of trouble getting our token ring cards
>configured as network interfaces.  We've got two cards in each of our two
>RS6ks, and when we try to do the 'minimal configuration and startup' of
>TCP/IP, we get error messages like the following:

>Method error (/etc/network/chgif):
>        0514-063 Cause not known.
>ifconfig:  error calling entry point for /etc/network/if_tr:  I/O error
>0821-103:  The command /etc/ifconfig tr0 inet 128.0.1.55 up failed
>0821-229 chgif:  ifconfig command failed.
>The status of "tr0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.

>/usr/bin/mktcpip: Problem with chdev command, return code = 1

I've recently seen this same error on a 520 of our's. It turned out that the
IBM cabling was bad, that is the wires running from the wall jack
to the patch panel were messed up. Once I hooked the Token-ring card up to
a working conector, removed the old tr0, and re-added it, all went smoothly.
I used smit to do it all. (well except removing tr0, I used a simple "rmdev"
for that.)

Perhaps you problem is bad cabling? Good luck!

--
~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
~~~~~~ Eliot A. Wilson                       University of Cincinnati ~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~                         ( cat &2 ; cat flames ) > /dev/null    ~~~~~

Post by Benson I. Marguli » Thu, 16 Jan 1992 03:05:58

>        Hi, gang.  We're having a bit of trouble getting our token ring cards
>configured as network interfaces.  We've got two cards in each of our two
>RS6ks, and when we try to do the 'minimal configuration and startup' of
>TCP/IP, we get error messages like the following:

>Method error (/etc/network/chgif):
>        0514-063 Cause not known.
>ifconfig:  error calling entry point for /etc/network/if_tr:  I/O error
>0821-103:  The command /etc/ifconfig tr0 inet 128.0.1.55 up failed
>0821-229 chgif:  ifconfig command failed.
>The status of "tr0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.

>/usr/bin/mktcpip: Problem with chdev command, return code = 1

Means they aren't plugged into an MAU, or the MAU is nonfunctional
or at the wrong speed.
--
Benson I. Margulies

Post by Patrick Tor » Thu, 16 Jan 1992 04:42:31

>        Hi, gang.  We're having a bit of trouble getting our token ring cards
>configured as network interfaces.  We've got two cards in each of our two
>RS6ks, and when we try to do the 'minimal configuration and startup' of
>TCP/IP, we get error messages like the following:
>Method error (/etc/network/chgif):
>        0514-063 Cause not known.
>ifconfig:  error calling entry point for /etc/network/if_tr:  I/O error
>0821-103:  The command /etc/ifconfig tr0 inet 128.0.1.55 up failed
>0821-229 chgif:  ifconfig command failed.
>The status of "tr0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.
>/usr/bin/mktcpip: Problem with chdev command, return code = 1

>        Mitch

Try checking your Ring speed.
type "smit chgtok"

When the 6000 "sees" a new token ring card it seems to configure
for 4Mbit ring by default.  If your ring is 16Mbit this could
be part of your trouble.

gatech!nanovx!msa3b!torre

Post by mitch gorm » Fri, 17 Jan 1992 05:02:01

> >        Hi, gang.  We're having a bit of trouble getting our token ring card
> >configured as network interfaces.  We've got two cards in each of our two
> >RS6ks, and when we try to do the 'minimal configuration and startup' of
> >TCP/IP, we get error messages like the following:

> >Method error (/etc/network/chgif):
> >        0514-063 Cause not known.
> >ifconfig:  error calling entry point for /etc/network/if_tr:  I/O error
> >0821-103:  The command /etc/ifconfig tr0 inet 128.0.1.55 up failed
> >0821-229 chgif:  ifconfig command failed.
> >The status of "tr0" Interface in the current running system is uncertain.

> >/usr/bin/mktcpip: Problem with chdev command, return code = 1

        Well, after further checking by those SEs on their own intra-IBM
network, it seems that a Token ring adapter _must_ be connected to a valid
ring in order to successfully complete the installation.

        This means that something has to be connected to the card.  Which, is
sort of stupid, but I can accept it.  What I can't understand is why a MAU is
_required_ (and it is!).  The cables that come with the cards are
hermaphroditic, so why should it not work if you just connect two cables
together?  (That's rhetorical - it obviously will not work.)

        Of course, the MAU we're supposed to be getting from IBM hasn't
arrived yet...

        Oh, well.  Anyway, at least I have an answer, if not a working
network.

        Thanx.

                Mitch

> --
> ~---------------------------------------------------------------------------~
> ~~~~~~ Eliot A. Wilson                       University of Cincinnati ~~~~~~~

> ~~~~~~~~                         ( cat &2 ; cat flames ) > /dev/null    ~~~~~

1. token ring token ring token ring

I would advice either going to a more recent kernel, or back to 1.2.x,
and applying the TR patch.  As far as I can tell, the built-in TR support
in 1.3 was broken early on, and not fixed until very recently.

I had no end of problems - normally showing as booting and init'ing the
TR card ok, could ping ok, but any more then that (such as telnet or ftp,
either into or out of the Linux machine) gave a kernel panic.

Compiled up 1.3.72 the other day and it's been running perfectly ever
since.  I'm using a Madge Straight Blue right now but have also used
some older IBM 4/16 cards.

Leonard

2. How do you verify that you DO have CSLIP connection??

3. IBM PCI Token-Ring adapter configuration

4. spaces in filenames

5. HELP: IBM Auto 16/4 Token-Ring ISA Adapter

6. Problem on installing Red Hat

7. Status of driver for IBM Auto LanStreamer 16/4 Token-Ring PCI Adapter ?

8. Bind socket failed - address already in use

9. IBM PCI Token-Ring Adapter Supported?

10. Auto 16/4 Token-RIng ISA Adapter

11. ISRP_EVEN : 04 error when opening PCMCIA Token-ring adapter on TP755CD with RH 5.0 instaled.

12. S: Driver for "IBM Token-Ring Network 16/4 Adapter II"

13. IBM 16/4 Token-Ring PCI Adapter 2 Red Hat 6.1 configuration