Problems with mkcd to DVD

Problems with mkcd to DVD

Post by chri » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 19:24:28



Hi all,

I have two p640s running AIX ML09.  
System A has 13Gb of free space in rootvg
System B has 22Gb of free space in rootvg

The mksysbs on system A are completing with no problems.  The mksysbs
on system B keep failing with the following

Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
Verifying command parameters...
Creating image.data file...
0512-320 mkcd: backup directory: /mkcd/mksysb_image
does not have enough free space to hold the backup image.
The minimum free space required is 2097127424 bytes.
Cleaning up...

On both systems the /mkcd filesystems are not defined, i.e the
filesystems get automatically created.  The script we use to run the
mksysbs are the same on both systems as follows

# -------------------------------------------------
# Setup Variables
DVD=/dev/cd0    # Local tape drive
NODE=`hostname` # Local Node hostname
MAILTO=root     # Recipient of mail
# ------------------------------------------------
# Create mksysb of node.
#NOTE this uses the DVD drives
/usr/sbin/mkcd -d $DVD -L -V rootvg

Both systems have the following fileset installed:
 freeware.cdrecord.rte      1.9.0.0    C    CD-Recorder burner
controller

I'm at a loss as to what could keep causing the problems on system B.

Anyone got any ideas?    Let me know if more info is required.

Regards

Chris

 
 
 

Problems with mkcd to DVD

Post by Rodney Clar » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:42:12


Well create the filesystem and add it to the exclude list of rootvg
otherwise the images itself will get included in the image  ............

> Hi all,

> I have two p640s running AIX ML09.  
> System A has 13Gb of free space in rootvg
> System B has 22Gb of free space in rootvg

> The mksysbs on system A are completing with no problems.  The mksysbs
> on system B keep failing with the following

> Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
> Verifying command parameters...
> Creating image.data file...
> 0512-320 mkcd: backup directory: /mkcd/mksysb_image
> does not have enough free space to hold the backup image.
> The minimum free space required is 2097127424 bytes.
> Cleaning up...

> On both systems the /mkcd filesystems are not defined, i.e the
> filesystems get automatically created.  The script we use to run the
> mksysbs are the same on both systems as follows

> # -------------------------------------------------
> # Setup Variables
> DVD=/dev/cd0    # Local tape drive
> NODE=`hostname` # Local Node hostname
> MAILTO=root     # Recipient of mail
> # ------------------------------------------------
> # Create mksysb of node.
> #NOTE this uses the DVD drives
> /usr/sbin/mkcd -d $DVD -L -V rootvg

> Both systems have the following fileset installed:
>  freeware.cdrecord.rte      1.9.0.0    C    CD-Recorder burner
> controller

> I'm at a loss as to what could keep causing the problems on system B.

> Anyone got any ideas?    Let me know if more info is required.

> Regards

> Chris


 
 
 

Problems with mkcd to DVD

Post by Jim » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 05:00:24



> Well create the filesystem and add it to the exclude list of rootvg
> otherwise the images itself will get included in the image  ............


>> Hi all,

>> I have two p640s running AIX ML09.   System A has 13Gb of free space
>> in rootvg
>> System B has 22Gb of free space in rootvg

>> The mksysbs on system A are completing with no problems.  The mksysbs
>> on system B keep failing with the following

>> Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
>> Verifying command parameters...
>> Creating image.data file...
>> 0512-320 mkcd: backup directory: /mkcd/mksysb_image
>> does not have enough free space to hold the backup image.
>> The minimum free space required is 2097127424 bytes.
>> Cleaning up...

>> On both systems the /mkcd filesystems are not defined, i.e the
>> filesystems get automatically created.  The script we use to run the
>> mksysbs are the same on both systems as follows

>> # -------------------------------------------------
>> # Setup Variables
>> DVD=/dev/cd0    # Local tape drive
>> NODE=`hostname` # Local Node hostname
>> MAILTO=root     # Recipient of mail
>> # ------------------------------------------------
>> # Create mksysb of node.
>> #NOTE this uses the DVD drives
>> /usr/sbin/mkcd -d $DVD -L -V rootvg

>> Both systems have the following fileset installed:
>>  freeware.cdrecord.rte      1.9.0.0    C    CD-Recorder burner
>> controller

>> I'm at a loss as to what could keep causing the problems on system B.

>> Anyone got any ideas?    Let me know if more info is required.

>> Regards

>> Chris

By default, mkcd excludes the three filesystems it creates from the
mksysb:
      cd_image_dir              4.7 GB for standard Cartridge
      cdfs_volume_group         4.7 GB for standard Cartridge
      mksysb_target              Enough for mksysb

Jim

--
Anybody who's ever owned a sailboat knows that the wind may be free,
but the sails sure aren't

 
 
 

Problems with mkcd to DVD

Post by chri » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 17:35:12


Hi all,

I got the problem fixed.......

It turned out that at some point in the past , although the three
default filesystems had been removed, the directory structure was
still there on system B. So mkcd runs and checks for the existence of
the directories, finds them so assumes there are seperate
filesystems....in this case when mkcd was running it would have been
filling up /

I removed the directory structure and re ran mkcd and hey presto it
worked, i.e couldn't find the directories so made the filesystems
itself.

Regards

Chris



> > Well create the filesystem and add it to the exclude list of rootvg
> > otherwise the images itself will get included in the image  ............


> >> Hi all,

> >> I have two p640s running AIX ML09.   System A has 13Gb of free space
> >> in rootvg
> >> System B has 22Gb of free space in rootvg

> >> The mksysbs on system A are completing with no problems.  The mksysbs
> >> on system B keep failing with the following

> >> Initializing mkcd log: /var/adm/ras/mkcd.log...
> >> Verifying command parameters...
> >> Creating image.data file...
> >> 0512-320 mkcd: backup directory: /mkcd/mksysb_image
> >> does not have enough free space to hold the backup image.
> >> The minimum free space required is 2097127424 bytes.
> >> Cleaning up...

> >> On both systems the /mkcd filesystems are not defined, i.e the
> >> filesystems get automatically created.  The script we use to run the
> >> mksysbs are the same on both systems as follows

> >> # -------------------------------------------------
> >> # Setup Variables
> >> DVD=/dev/cd0    # Local tape drive
> >> NODE=`hostname` # Local Node hostname
> >> MAILTO=root     # Recipient of mail
> >> # ------------------------------------------------
> >> # Create mksysb of node.
> >> #NOTE this uses the DVD drives
> >> /usr/sbin/mkcd -d $DVD -L -V rootvg

> >> Both systems have the following fileset installed:
> >>  freeware.cdrecord.rte      1.9.0.0    C    CD-Recorder burner
> >> controller

> >> I'm at a loss as to what could keep causing the problems on system B.

> >> Anyone got any ideas?    Let me know if more info is required.

> >> Regards

> >> Chris

> By default, mkcd excludes the three filesystems it creates from the
> mksysb:
>       cd_image_dir         4.7 GB for standard Cartridge
>       cdfs_volume_group            4.7 GB for standard Cartridge
>       mksysb_target              Enough for mksysb

> Jim

 
 
 

1. mkcd / DVD / Tape drives / Backups

We got 3 new boxes 2Xp610 and a B50 running AIX 4.3.3 ML9/10..They came with
DVD-RAM 4.7GB drives.. Have a few questions since I have never used this
technology: There is only 1 tape drive attached to one of the p610's..

1. What media will the DVD-RAM support. ie. Can I use DVD-RW disks or just
DVD-R? Double sided?
2. How to properly do a mksysb on the DVD-RAM and expect to restore it
successfully?
3. How can I use the 4mm tape drive to do mksysb's of the 2 systems without
tape drives.. 2 systems at 4.3.3ML9 and one at ML10. The one with the tape
drive is ML9.
4. Should I look in to NIM for mksysb since I do not have tape drives on all
3 systems? Has anyone set up NIM on AIX 4.3.3? How hard is it? Is it
reliable?

Thanks bunches!

2. HELP!!

3. mkcd on DVD-RAM with CD-R media

4. how to use serial port ?

5. MKSYSB on DVD-RAM - Error 0512-305 mkcd:

6. Need to become AIX Professional

7. DVD SCSI burner, I want DVD+RW, DVD-RW, DVD-RAM

8. Kexec 2.5.46-b6

9. Solaris, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-RAM and UDF

10. Panasonic SW-9571 DVD-R/DVD-RW/DVD-RAM on Sun?

11. Problems burning dvd-r and dvd-rw

12. DVD RAMs or DVD RW are there any?

13. LG 8160b dvd-rom will not read dvd