Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Post by Steve Ryde » Wed, 14 Jun 2000 04:00:00

On a 43p, vmstat shows that the CPU is regulary hitting 0% idle.  Disk
activity tends to favour delays on hdisk0, but wait time is still only low
double-digits.  Page-in/out is also next to none.  Job activity is the same
as before the upgrade.  Running filemon shows that the most active tasks are
all regarding page table.  Rebalancing the filesystems across the three
available disks has degraded rather than improved system performance.  I'm
baffled as to what my bottleneck really is, unless I've suddenly run out of
CPU horsepower after my upgrade.  Any clues?
If performance stats are useful, I can post.

Thanks

--
Steve Ryder
Senior Systems Consultant              AIX 4.3 Certified

Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Post by artu » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well stats are always usefull :-). The problem mitgh be wrong rebalancing
filesystems or something other. Just send
me what stats you have, we'll take a look.

Artur

> On a 43p, vmstat shows that the CPU is regulary hitting 0% idle.  Disk
> activity tends to favour delays on hdisk0, but wait time is still only low
> double-digits.  Page-in/out is also next to none.  Job activity is the same
> as before the upgrade.  Running filemon shows that the most active tasks are
> all regarding page table.  Rebalancing the filesystems across the three
> available disks has degraded rather than improved system performance.  I'm
> baffled as to what my bottleneck really is, unless I've suddenly run out of
> CPU horsepower after my upgrade.  Any clues?
> If performance stats are useful, I can post.

> Thanks

> --
> Steve Ryder
> Senior Systems Consultant              AIX 4.3 Certified
> Penlieu Consultants Inc.                    www.penlieu.com
> 905.602.9600x225

Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Post by Bill He » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>If performance stats are useful, I can post.

How strange, but from the sound of it you've successfully eliminated
CPU, memory & i/o from the equation, this just leaves network.

So, does the box have any significant network dependencies (e.g. NIS,
DNS, NFS, or important client/svr s/w)? For example :
i) I've seen client server software go slow because the primary DNS
server was unreachable.  After a 90sec delay, it stepped onto the
secondary!!
ii) I've seen clients go slow because an NFS server is unavailable,
even if no client process was even accessing that fs (and this even
when the * was soft mounted in the background).

Never the less, it still might be useful if you place the box under a
typical load, and then post the output for:
vmstat 5 10
iostat -t 5 10

Regards,

MWH

Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Post by artu » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Well, i) and ii) does not hang console, so it seems it is another
problem, but in the case of wrong network card driver, or
some misconfigurations and bad parameters, system can behave very
strange.

Artur

> >If performance stats are useful, I can post.
> How strange, but from the sound of it you've successfully eliminated
> CPU, memory & i/o from the equation, this just leaves network.

> So, does the box have any significant network dependencies (e.g. NIS,
> DNS, NFS, or important client/svr s/w)? For example :
> i) I've seen client server software go slow because the primary DNS
> server was unreachable.  After a 90sec delay, it stepped onto the
> secondary!!
> ii) I've seen clients go slow because an NFS server is unavailable,
> even if no client process was even accessing that fs (and this even
> when the * was soft mounted in the background).

> Never the less, it still might be useful if you place the box under a
> typical load, and then post the output for:
> vmstat 5 10
> iostat -t 5 10

> Regards,

> MWH

Slow Performance After Upgrading from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Post by Joerg Roo » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

have look at /usr/samples/kernel/vmtune
There are 3 nice parameters:
-p 5  is min. paginges (in %) in mem for filebuffer
-P 20  is max. paginges (in %) in mem for filebuffer
-h 1  is to adjust -P as max. limit (new in 4.3.3)
vmtune is in bos.adt.samples fileset

hop it helps a little bit

Joerg Roof

1. X-Performance = Ram ?, report YOUR performance after upgrade.

I run a 486DX4-100mhz, 256kb cache, 8mb ram, 540 mb harddisk 13ms,
with linux...and I would really like to know _how_ strongly preformance
depends on the amount of ram...if it's really worth it to put money on lots
of ram ?
I think primarly on the performance in X-windows...
Or maybe it's better to buy a faster harddisk for those money ?

Please don't post things like "get 36 megs and you'll be happy",
that's not my point anyway...the question is when the increase in performance
is greatest at say an addition of 4 mb..and _how_ big difference it is...
so maybe we could get a neat list of reports for reference for different
machines...then anyone can judge for themselves wether it's worth the
money or not ?

Suppose I upgrade to 12mb, roughly how much faster will X go ?
..or if I uppgrade to 16 mb or 20mb ? is it like the difference
between 8 and 12 is significantly bigger than between 12 and 16 ?

...post what happened to your system!

All of you linux users who have upgraded your ram, you _can_ answer
these questions, please do !

Any reports are velcome, please post it either here or by email to me,
although I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in this...
Please specify your system in any post...

If there is any documents or faq's on this question, please forgive me
..and then maybe someone could give me hint were to find them ?

 /Fredrik

2. DOSEMU's emumodule

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. IDE CD-ROM and Linux

5. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

6. Printing ColoredGraphics to parallelport standard Printer

7. Tin newsreader, slow slow slow

8. Yahoo mesenger and RH6.2

9. SMB slow, Samba slow, or something else slow?

10. Help - slow,slow, slip,slip, slow

11. Matrox g450 + tuxracer = slow slow slow!!! [???]

12. Newby (After 4.3.2 install, CDE LOGIN IS SLOW SLOW SLOW)

13. Slow Performance w/D1000 & DiskSuite