AIX 4.3.3 unable to su, rcp

Post by Randy Haga » Sun, 27 Apr 2003 10:17:59

Hello,
        We have a box at work which has been working fine up until 2
days ago when all of a sudden no-one could su to root or run rcp
command. The su would give an error. 3004-503 Cannot set process
credentials : No permission.
        I did a search on google.com groups for that error and found a
1998 post where someone had the same problem and found out that a
trigger happy admin su'd as root went to the root directory and ran
the command 'chmod -R 777 *'. Well I did a ls in my root directory, my
/etc/group, /etc, /home and found the same thing. All files had
-rwxrwxrwx. (Price I have to pay for management telling me to give out
root access). Anyway, the 1998 post said the system was going to have
to be re-installed. My question is, are there any fixes for this or do
I need to get out the 4.3.3 install CD's. The box is an Demo server so
there isn't any vital data. Any thoughts would be appreciated

Randy

AIX 4.3.3 unable to su, rcp

Post by Andy Van Roye » Mon, 28 Apr 2003 01:14:41

you didn't run a sec patch or anything?

check the properties of the users...
"user can su to ..." set to ALL
and remote login on "TRUE" etc ...

cheers,
Andy

Quote:> Hello,
> We have a box at work which has been working fine up until 2
> days ago when all of a sudden no-one could su to root or run rcp
> command. The su would give an error. 3004-503 Cannot set process
> credentials : No permission.
> I did a search on google.com groups for that error and found a
> 1998 post where someone had the same problem and found out that a
> trigger happy admin su'd as root went to the root directory and ran
> the command 'chmod -R 777 *'. Well I did a ls in my root directory, my
> /etc/group, /etc, /home and found the same thing. All files had
> -rwxrwxrwx. (Price I have to pay for management telling me to give out
> root access). Anyway, the 1998 post said the system was going to have
> to be re-installed. My question is, are there any fixes for this or do
> I need to get out the 4.3.3 install CD's. The box is an Demo server so
> there isn't any vital data. Any thoughts would be appreciated

> Randy

AIX 4.3.3 unable to su, rcp

Post by Jennifer » Fri, 02 May 2003 02:03:44

> Hello,
>    We have a box at work which has been working fine up until 2
> days ago when all of a sudden no-one could su to root or run rcp
> command. The su would give an error. 3004-503 Cannot set process
> credentials : No permission.
>    I did a search on google.com groups for that error and found a
> 1998 post where someone had the same problem and found out that a
> trigger happy admin su'd as root went to the root directory and ran
> the command 'chmod -R 777 *'. Well I did a ls in my root directory, my
> /etc/group, /etc, /home and found the same thing. All files had
> -rwxrwxrwx. (Price I have to pay for management telling me to give out
> root access). Anyway, the 1998 post said the system was going to have
> to be re-installed. My question is, are there any fixes for this or do
> I need to get out the 4.3.3 install CD's. The box is an Demo server so
> there isn't any vital data. Any thoughts would be appreciated

> Randy

Hello,

We had something like this happen also.  I remember that IBM had a
script and a file.  The file contained a list permissions for each
file and the script would go through the entire system, changing the
permissions to match this file.  I'll look to see if I still have
this...

Jennifer

AIX 4.3.3 unable to su, rcp

Post by Randy Haga » Fri, 02 May 2003 08:44:20

>> Hello,
>>        We have a box at work which has been working fine up until 2

Thanks everyone who responded, Public and private. I basically have
locked everyone out until the powers at be decide what they want to
do.

Jennifer,
        Thanks for looking, I will do a search on our Internal web
sites and see if I can find anything related to the script you talk
about, just in case you cannot find it.

Randy

1. Unable to RCP from router

Hello

I have a router which I want to backup the software.
But I can't seems to copy the file to this x86 Unix server.
I have already specify the hosts.equiv and .rhosts
to accept this user from the router.
What could be the problem?

Thanks in advance.
Sam

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Help: AIX PPP

3. HP 7200 CD Writer question

4. Rcp from ok rcp to no good

5. SUN Processor question(1)

6. user unable to su

7. RH8 installed GRUB, now Win98 won't boot

8. unable to su from network, only console

9. Unable to log in - no su root possible

10. unable to su over network, only at console

11. unable to su [root] from my account

12. unable to su