SCSI Bus Errors on RS6000 7011-220

Post by Ian Brow » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I'm learning AIX and eventually RS6000 hardware up to RS6000 SP's and
>HACMP.  I bought myself a used 7011-220 with a 1 GB drive and an
>external CD-ROM Enclosure.

>The 1GB drive that comes with the system is so old, that it is only
>listed in the Powerstation Book, but it does not give me enough
>information about the SCSI Termination or lack thereof.

>I've tried to place a 2GB SCSI-2 HP Surestore Drive in it's place so I
>can load everything that OS disks have to offer, but I get so far as
>encountering bus errors.

Unfortunately, no big surprises in the above. RS6k's are extremely picky
about what you connect to them. The Western Digital is in fact an IBM
OEM drive, and is made to IBM specs, and probably has a modified BIOS to
accommodate the 'peculiarities' of the RS6k. Which version of AIX are
you trying to load? AIX 4.3.2 will fit onto a 1GB drive quite happily.
Remember that the documentation (man pages) does NOT have to be loaded
onto that machine, it's in HTML and as such can be viewed in a browser
on a normal PC. Useful feature that, it means you use the documentation
even when the machine has 'died'. I'm not even sure if the 220 will
support a 2GB drive, perhaps someone else can sort that out for you.

But I would try to get a 'True Blue' drive if I were you, there should
be a few around on the second user market somewhere.

--
Ian Brown

SCSI Bus Errors on RS6000 7011-220

Post by Marcus Herbe » Wed, 02 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> The 1GB drive that comes with the system is so old, that it is only
> listed in the Powerstation Book, but it does not give me enough
> information about the SCSI Termination or lack thereof.

I have the same system and my harddisk* is a:

  Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: IBM      Model: 0663L12          Rev: e g
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02

This one (0663-x.pdf) has no termination! The 7011-220 uses it without one.
Installating a new HD with termination set doesn't work (at least it didn't
work here with another quantum disk. I switched it to "no termination enabled"
and then it worked out).

I dont know why termination has to be disabled but i gues its because of the
short scsi cable (~8cm in length).

*I pulled the HD out of the 7011-220 and put it into my linux box cause it
is much calmer than the quantum HD that has been installed before (the linux
box is right beside my bed whereas the rs6000 is in the serverroom :-]).

--
        Key-ID: 666/36540865 1997/06/09
   Fingerprint: CF F3 84 5C A9 0A 90 A9  41 C3 18 60 90 D8 03 A0

SCSI Bus Errors on RS6000 7011-220

Post by Jeff Mille » Thu, 10 Jun 1999 04:00:00

It is my understanding that the SCSI BIOS used on the RS6000 (Symbios) uses
proprietary "self termination" on all models after the 42t.
--
Jeff Miller
System Administrator